Register now to get rid of these ads!

Putting T-5 in 40 Ford coupe (w/hemi!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I've reviewed the T5 links and read until I got tired on the subject so here's where I am: I started with my 55 Desoto engine w/adapter to 39 trans box and closed driveshaft. I now have CE rear suspen w/Granada rear. I already purchased the kit from CE to split wishbone and also got the kit from Cornhuskers that should make it happen after I get proper pilot bearing from HotHemiHeads. In measuring things and eyeballing the hole its going in; it looks like to me there is a reasonable chance that the 5 spd could be eased into place without splitting the wishbones if you trim the bottom of the 5 spd a bit.

I'm carrying on in Henry Ford tradition of "Nothing is impossible if you're not smart enough to realize it can't be done."

Has anybody managed to put a 5 spd (from S10) into a 40 Ford without splitting the wishbone? Thanks for all insight. Al

Attached Files:

flynbrian48 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Anybody tried 5 spd install without splitting wishbone in a 40?

3. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Havent tried that swap,
    But i would think twice about the S-10 T-5 behind the DeSoto if you plan on building the engine to produce any power.

You may find that you will be an Expert T-5 tranny swapper outer :D

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Chappy444 and stillrunners like this.
  4. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Thanks for the tip. Present plans are to use the stock 185HP engine. Hope to add 4 bbl later. Got to get it on the road first! Sitting projects don't do anything for me. Thanks again, Al

5. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Use a Camaro 5 speed with S10 tailshaft
    Yes it can be done without splitting.
    A friend did it

6. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

I'm planning on doing my best to not split the bones on my forty pickup t5 with an 8ba...will you have enough room to move your engine forward an inch or two?

7. Al, we've talked about this (we live about an hour away from one another. As a matter of fact, the pic in my avatar has me on the ferry to go to b-fast with Al and the boys on my maiden run) and although not splitting the wishbones is doable, I'm a big fan of being able to remove the tranny from underneath. But, if you can somehow remove the tranny from underneath with unsplit bones (since you now have that nice lift in your garage!), I'd say go for it. Using the T5 tranny vs the Camaro w/T5 tailshaft may require a few tranny swaps!

BTW and just as a heads up Al, I also had to trim a few of the upper tabs on the T5 to clear the 40 tranny cover on my flattie/T5 combo in my 40..

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Over the years of selling my trans kit I've had several customers tell me they did the swap without splitting the bones. I have never had anyone send me pictures so I have no way to tell how they did it.

9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Thanks, fellas, for all the insight and encouragement. I'm going to do a bit more measuring and I'll keep you posted, INCLUDING pics. Latest snag is it looks like I have to remove the adaptor that goes from Desoto to 39 box in order to remove the pressure plate... real snag is I used bottom of adaptor to support engine when I removed the trans! Another "opportunity!" Still working and figuring Al

10. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Another question for you fellas w/experience w/Desoto: The adaptor looks to me like the back inch or so is a cover. Can I take that off without disturbing how the adaptor is attached to the engine? I'm presently supporting the back of the engine by the bottom of the adaptor. I'm "assuming" (we all know what that can do!) the the main part of the adaptor is secured to the engine from the inside. Is that right? All help is greatly appreciated.
    BTW, I assembled the trans unit with new adaptor and it measures out that it will clear the wishbone... even without cutting off the bottom ear. I can't be that lucky so I'm working to figure out what I missed.
    Thanks again for the Desoto help in particular. Al

11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I took the cover off the adaptor and removed the pressure plate and clutch. The pressure plate has apparently served for some time as a mouse motel! You can see the furnishings I removed... no wonder the old Ford was jumping and lurching with all the added material in the area! Next stop is to figure out what pilot bearing is needed from the hot hemi guys. Looks to me like no pilot bearing is in the flywheel now. What do you with more experience think? Cornhusker stuff worked pretty well except the dang thing that holds the throwout bearing assembly will NOT slide onto the clutch cross shaft. I've honed that mother until I'm tired with emory cloth. I'll call Gary later to see what I'm doing wrong.
    Still working and still learning Al

Attached Files:

12. George G

George G

As we can see above, there are too many opinions about the strenght of a T5 without any knowledge.

I have never had any issues with my S10 unit and I have never seen a post on HAMB where someone has shredded his T5.

Go for it.

13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I'm getting there, except for getting the bearing fork to fit the cross shaft! Need to trim inside of x member to see if will fit without splitting wishbone. Still looks like a good maybe to me. Al

14. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

DSC01364.jpg DSC01365.jpg DSC01366.jpg DSC01367.jpg DSC01369.jpg DSC01370.jpg DSC01373.jpg It DOES fit without splitting the wishbone! It is close but I think I can complete the changeover from a 39 Ford trans to a S10 5 spd via regular kit for adapting a 5 spd to a flathead. Keep in mind that the front of the engine is sitting on about 40 yr old flathead engine mounts. I should gain a little clearance by raising the front of the engine just a little and then the trans should gain enough clearance to miss the wishbone. Note that I have not moved the stock mount for the wishbone ball. The adapter is bolted up flush to the hemi adapter.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  15. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Now that I've resolved that it can be done. I'm going to continue the project under the original build thread titled "Bought 40 Ford coupe w/Desoto hemi". Stay tuned... on the other channel! Thanks, Al

16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

[​IMG]
    I tried several searches for the Bought 40 Ford coupe w/Desoto hemi but could not get the thread to come up.
    I was really hoping to see what you did for the rear transmission mount. This picture does not show a mount.
    Thanks for all of the time you put into making this reply Al! These pictures are much clearer and helped me see the transmission clearance available at the wishbone. Not much but enough, I think.

Sam

17. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

18. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Almost ten years later and this thread is still helping others.
    I'm honored to have been of any help.
    I wasn't sure if it could be done at all when I started but I decided I was gonna find out!;):D
    Glad to help Al
    PS Last year I got to wondering if a 425 Buick with its original switch pitch turbo 400 would fit in my 32 cabriolet without splitting the gennie wishbone... but that is another thread!!!:eek::D:D

19. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Almost ten years later and this thread is still helping others.
    I'm honored to have been of any help.
    I wasn't sure if it could be done at all when I started but I decided I was gonna find out!;):D
    Glad to help Al
    PS Last year I got to wondering if a 425 Buick with its original switch pitch turbo 400 would fit in my 32 cabriolet without splitting the gennie wishbone... but that is another thread!!!:eek::D:D

20. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4623.JPG I'm beginning to think Henry Ford was right when he said words to the effect that nothing is impossible if you are not smart enough to realize it can't be done.;)
    I think that might be the situation in my case.;):D:D

lothiandon1940 and KoolKat-57 like this.
  21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

lothiandon1940 and Hamtown Al like this.
  22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

This thread answers another one relating to creative thinking. I'd say @Hamtown Al has it in spades.

lothiandon1940 and Hamtown Al like this.
  23. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Since this is an older thread, the original presentation of full size pictures got reduced during one of the system upgrades. I've gone back and restored a number of the pictures in the thread pertaining to the transmission installation and a few others to better help folks looking at the thread today to better show what was done.
    Hope this helps somebody else.
    Al

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. John Heimerl

John Heimerl
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Virginia

Anything is possible in your basement, Al!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. John Heimerl

John Heimerl
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Virginia

This ended up being a great build, Al!

26. John Heimerl

John Heimerl
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Virginia

Hated to see the “B” go, but have to admit this looked pretty damn good!

27. John Heimerl

John Heimerl
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Virginia

Great encouragement!