Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chopped 50 ford project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by fiftycoupe, Nov 20, 2020.

1. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

After getting my 50 coupe close to done I did the only reasonable thing and bought another. They had done a really good job on the chop but left it sitting outside for years with no glass so pans were shot. It has a early nova or camaro rear steer subframe with a 302 and fmx trans. Engine was stuck but got it freed up mounted radiator and got it running and moving under its own power

Attached Files:

2. HotRod33

HotRod33

Chop does look good.... Looks like you have your next project...

3. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Fast foward a few months ive finished floors after removing someone's attempt at using flashing and plywood and rivets for previous repair,i had to build new floor braces. I used generic one piece floor pans which I wouldnt recommend for most but since I built my own braces and inner rockers they worked out nicely

Attached Files:

Stogy, Okie Pete, Moondog13 and 7 others like this.
  4. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

The driver side was a little more solid floors are done now I ironed out some dents in quarter panel as well while finishing up rocker

Attached Files:

Stogy, Okie Pete, Tall t 26 and 6 others like this.

5. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Catching up to where I am now just swapped in a s10 rearend and picked up some wheels and tires. Starting glass soon as my winter project if anyone has any advice or pointers on cutting down vent window I would love to hear before I get started

Attached Files:

6. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vent windows are a little tricky. Do a search here on HAMB. Several good information posts. I did mine last Winter. You need to make a metal buck to fit inside the glass channel. Heat and bend slowly. Stay away from the top pivot. It is pot metal and will break easily.
    DSCF2236.JPG DSCF2239.JPG DSCF2236.JPG

7. RealOG

RealOG
    from FRANCE

The chop is perfect

8. Torchie

Torchie

Nice looking project.
    Sometimes on the vent windows you will have to remove the top pivot and relocate it once you have the frame shaped as needed. A lot depends on how much of a chop your roof got.
    Your other option is no vents. Just a one piece window glass. It does give it a more Modern look but has been done for many years. I personally like the vent window and when I see one that looks and works well I consider it part of a good chop. JMHO.....
    Torchie

hfh, AChopped1950ford and lurker mick like this.
  9. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Nice looking car. Is it a 50 with a 51 clip? I'm assuming so. Anyhow I have not tried to chop the windows myself on my car yet however I found this video a while back and the way they did it seems to make sense and it turned out decent.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  10. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I don't understand how a person who put that much work into chopping the top would leave the vehicle outside causing it to rust out. Great work so far!

seb fontana, 62rebel and Mopar Tony like this.
  11. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Thats a good idea using a buck and that video is real helpful, ill hopefully be starting soon ive got a few sets of spare vent windows. And the front end is a mismatch of spare parts I had laying around. its a 51 grill bar and 50 parking light housings and dust pan with 49 bumper. I also put a 51 dash in it where the original had rotted out along the bottom. All the parts cars I've bought over the years really come in handy I try to save even the roughest of parts because you never know when you'll need them.

Mopar Tony likes this.
  12. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

I think this video is super detailed and takes a bunch of guess work out of it. I think it can be refined some but people like me who are budget do it your self type of people it gets the job done.

Stogy likes this.
  13. goldmountain

goldmountain

It is a bit difficult to guesstimate how much clearance is needed for the rubber seal around the vent window and to get the pivot point right in the rubber. Maybe purchase the rubber ahead of time.

14. Nice job to fix all that floor rust repair. Keeping the vent windows is so much better. I probably spent nearly as much time doing the vent windows as the basic chop on my old 49 Ford COE. But the end result was worth it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

I've gotten started on the vent windows ive finished the outer frame and pretty happy with it ive got it mocked up still need to heat and bend the window frame after I repair the broken window pivot.

Attached Files:

16. joew513

joew513
    from Boston

Keep up the good work!

17. Torchie

Torchie

You are getting there!
    Torchie

18. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Cut down the glass and reassembled this evening still a few more adjustments to make but it is functioning. My next thing is reshaping the outer stainless trim I have a few extra sets so im thinking of making it two piece instead of one because of the tight curves with the slanted b pillars.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete, Shadow Creek, hfh and 3 others like this.
  19. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

I got the drivers door garnish cut down this evening i should have taken more pictures. I ended up cutting it into three pieces and pie cutting the corners to get the angles right then welding everything up

Attached Files:

20. nice chop on that shoe, you're doing great work on it...gonna paint it?

21. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Thanks and im going to paint just not sure on color yet im leaning toward hawaiian bronze the factory 51 color

22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Cool project!
    That chop looks good and you did a nice job with the floors. Keep it up!

23. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Thank you for the encouragement. I've finally got a functioning hood now. I removed the rear brace, heated and removed the broken bolts for the hinges and after some adjusting on the hood latch panel I have it latching. The driver side was pretty rotted and I've been debating on patching middle to mimmick a 51 hood but decided to just repair rust for now.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete and Tall t 26 like this.
  24. In the 50's most everyone wanted the 51 hood look, it's been only lately that the 49/50 bullet grill and hood is popular, I'd ditch the bump in the hood.

25. Tall t 26

Tall t 26

Awesome project ! Always like the shoebox fords.
    Great job so far,looking good!!

26. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

I tackled the passenger vent window today the pivot was missing but luckily I've got a few spare 70s ford truck vents to donate parts like the pivot and rubber which surprisingly fit well came up just a hair short but I've got extra seals to piece the gap

Attached Files:

50 Merc Man and 40LUV like this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-1-16_5-1-58.png

Hello,

Nice project you are completing. Your detailing is pretty good and will make a cool cruiser when it is finished. Are projects ever finished?

In late 2019 prior to the pandemic, I was surprised at seeing this cool So Cal chopped Ford cruising down the main drag. It was December, cold, between rain storms and heading for the upcoming Christmas Holidays. A cool custom car is sometimes seen on the street, but to see one next to me was a definite digital camera movie day.
    So Cal cruising in style

Jnaki

Hope the pandemic that has put a stop to most people will not stop you from finishing your cool project. Seeing that chopped Ford custom car cruising, back on that cold morning, was a nice surprise for these old eyes.
    upload_2021-1-16_5-3-26.png

Haven’t seen the custom Ford for the whole pandemic year, but is has been seen locally, elsewhere.

Stogy and 50 Merc Man like this.
  28. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Finished up the rear garnish mouldings and have the stainless cut down. I also made templates and had quarter glass cut. On the driver garnish I took the extra time to cut and relocate the interior light mounting hole.

Attached Files: