Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Revisiting the Rudy Rodriguez 35 Ford Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A Boner, Jan 4, 2021.

1. grumpy65

grumpy65

Granted (on two out of the four), and anyone following the thread has the ability to determine context for themselves.
    I still stand by my statement that some comments seem specific to the Rodriguez truck, and not to any other 'copy builds'.
    By the way, the original post is specifically about the Rodriguez truck. Comments were not sought regarding the merit of any tribute builds. Maybe this was done knowing that controversy would ensue ??? o_Oo_Oo_O

Budget36 likes this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Good point. I’m not a “I hate it” guy, more of a “not my thing” guy. Heck I see wheels on cars that folks drool over that I don’t think I’d run on my horse trailer;)

grumpy65 likes this.
  3. grumpy65

grumpy65

Agree totally. Not my thing either. If no one else wanted it, I would happily take it home and start work on it to make it 'me-friendly'. I don't hate anyone's stuff. I can only appraise it in the sense of appealing to my tastes. Are my tastes right or wrong ??? Moot point, they are only relevant to me. Other people's builds don't have to float my boat. If it floats theirs, that is all that matters. :D

Budget36 likes this.
  4. Okay, you quoted me...but only part. The full quote of the comment is not negative:
    And I stand by my other post saying that negativity was directed at the failed me-toos.

Even this is directed at the followers:
    Just because me-too people fail doesn't make the original a fail. And no one said it was. Well, 'farm rod' wasn't real flattering. (I'm not a farmer.)

I think you are out of line grumpy65.

5. grumpy65

grumpy65

Whilst this is, once again, a quoted 'portion' of a post, it is done with the best of intentions. If I am perceived to be out of line, I apologise to any I may have offended. The original poster ( @A Boner ), and others, seem to genuinely approve of the style. Others do not, and that is ok too. More still are capable of appreciating both pic#1 and pic#2. Shit, what a diverse bunch we are!!! I wonder how it has happened that there is such a rich and colorful texture of rods out there. I, for one, am not complaining. ;)

alanp561 likes this.
  6. hotrodA, 49ratfink and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

^^^^
    I want to change the photo I posted with this one.:) I was busy at work when I saw the green one and just grabbed that picture quick..

@cadillacoffin

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  8. alchemy

alchemy

That's not the original truck in that link. It's a different truck built by the author and Rudy. Lots of similarities though.

X38 likes this.
  9. Hellfish

Hellfish

Yeah, my comment wasn't really directed at the original. Not really my taste, but it is iconic. I remember when it first appeared in print (yes, that long ago :D ) in the Hot Rod Deluxe maybe. It was in your face, rebellious and completely different. I remember the builder talking about leaving the piss-induced rust on it. The rough and ready, aggressive yet casual appearance made it stand out... and paved the way for 10,000 crappy rat rods (and a few nice ones), both imitators and ones inspired by this truck. I recognize its place as an icon, but I still don't really like it.

grumpy65 likes this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

I build primarily 35-36 pickups and I remember the Rudy truck when it first hit the scene. I liked it for what it was, but the 243,678 trucks to follow not so much. It did make it cheap to buy fenders though.

11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

People do that??? I've got several pair of jeans designed, worn and personally ripped by none other than myself that I would sell to HAMB members only for the bargain price of $50 each. Discounts for larger quantities or sizes.;)

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'd also add that I prefer the second iteration of the truck in blue with the Olds in it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

What do you do at work when you're not busy? :)

I'll take the one you posted, it's perfect.

Packrat and 49ratfink like this.
  14. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I have a '36, chopped 2", channeled 3" with a stock firewall. That blue one with the Olds and all that set back must really be cramped on the inside. Too cramped for any long distance driving.

Gary

15. I always liked Rudy's truck and also Jimmy Shine's. One that has kind of been forgotten is Lukester's Chev

newsledder-1 1.jpeg newsledder-1.jpeg

A Boner, Spoggie, Tman and 1 other person like this.
  16. Another well built and well proportioned truck was Billy Gibbons. I took these pics in 2010 outside the NHRA museum.
    SANY0142.JPG SANY0143.JPG SANY0147.JPG

ABONES and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Museums are full.

Cut it.

18. Bullit68

Bullit68
    from Verona, PA

What’s the saying about imitation and flattery....

Attached Files:

19. Sorry it seems a step too far. Graham runs a nice one locally here, he un-torque-thusted it & hubcapped it after seeing what I did here with this drawing of his truck.
    That lil' truck in the top left of the photo is of a more realistic channel & driving position than the O.P. job.
    190907Truck'35V8-copy.jpg

putz, A Boner and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. And is not as attractive.
    An example of what I was talking about earlier. There are worse examples, but yeah.

Jimmy B likes this.
  21. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

It was parked outside in the weather for over 2 years .....it wasn't "well built" is was "drive-able" and then it was neglected like some ratrod that nobody cared about......

22. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny was just thinking we dont see many builds like this anymore. As others have stated the original nailed it, many others that followed not so much. That pretend surfboard on the Gibbons car just looks silly.

Mark Yac likes this.
  23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

BE997DF9-8454-408F-9EF6-8FAF0B35B1D5.jpeg FF40C7E4-0D58-4C96-B678-765550932989.jpeg Another trend setter at least here on the hamb.
    Always liked
    Rockys truck.

24. That was the most fun hot rod I have ever driven or owned! I only sold it because it was taking time away from my touring project. I will let you in on a secret, the Rocky33 was always intended to be finished and painted by both Rock and I. I still have the gallon of Washington Blue I bought for it ;)

panhead_pete and Petejoe like this.
  25. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The "Rudy truck" was a long way from the original bobber truck. It was just the one that got a lot of notoriety. I remember when I saw a photo of it I thought "that looks almost like Gary Fisher's old blue truck. Gary's truck had been a hot rod for a long time before I first saw it in 1962 and was probably about as rough as Gibbon's truck without the rust. Or without a rusty body.

Those trucks have always been around and often built by guys who drug a pretty beat up truck out from behind the shed as a start.

panhead_pete likes this.