Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Need advice, 1963 Chevy Impala 4 door, yes or no

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oldmopars89, Jan 12, 2021.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I bought a 65 chevelle 4 door cheep out of a barn lot, low miles 6 cylinder 3 speed. Had a side window broke out seats were rough and a birds nest in the head liner. Got it running and brakes working then went and found a window and did the blanket trick on the seats. Drove it to work daily 40 mile round trip weekly for some time then got tired of the 3 speed and installed a 4 speed, that made it more fun to drive. Then the brakes started showing some failures so I did a power disc front upgrade and played with some different coil springs and antisway bars front and rear. Now the driving pleasure was more fun but getting passed on the right when letting merging traffic on the highway got to the best of me so I replace the 194 6 cylinder with a V8 small block. Back on the road again the creature comforts started to lack so I got some seats out of a junked 77 Cadillac sedan, got new carpet and installed the seats and carpet.
    I drove that car for years and made many epic trips in it with my family and friends no regrets and still have it. :)

lewk, Baumi, guthriesmith and 3 others like this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Patina is on an old brass or chrome lamp. A cars steel
    is rusty..
    Actually not a bad car. For door panels take off the chrome/stainless strip off the vinyl buy some new vinyl, spray glue it on the original panels 4-5 yards should do it and put back on the trim; any yardage stores had it rear shelf too. Chrome plastic can be primed and painted, silver does look good. Clean what carpet you have and add mats.. the bigger the better.. Mexican blanket the seats like others suggested. Primer spots were cool in the 50-60’s Have fun...the valve covers show it’s a 327.

nochop and guthriesmith like this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

That's a first-year 327 if it's the original engine. $1500 doesn't seem like a bad starting point for that, up here in rusty Wisconsin it'd be sold quickly at that price. As Gotta56forme said, that is a '62. Does the guy have a title? That might be a big deal, if he doesn't know what year it is maybe he doesn't have paperwork for it.

But if you like it, I think you'll have a hard time buying an equivalent one for less money. The 600 miles is a deal breaker if you have to pay someone to haul it back. If you've got the equipment to haul it, you'll have to factor in gas money and a long redeye weekend. That's a very long way to go though if you're not sure, or you don't love it.

4. Oldmopars89

Oldmopars89

I get what you are saying and I am not asking if its a cool car or not, I think it is no matter what others think. I was asking because there are those cars out there, and we have all seen them, that are oddball cars, no way to get parts, had issues that are really hard to overcome, etc.
    Like a 63 Ford falcon, if it does not have all the trim, run away. One year only and hard to find. 63-65 A body Darts and Valiants, there are parts that you just can't get and will drive yourself crazy trying to find them.
    This is the kind of advice I was seeking, but I do appreciate all the opinions that have been given also.
    I have been down this same road fixing a 1965 C10 that sat behind a barn for 22 years. I have the skills and knowledge to repair almost anything.
    Just wanted to be sure I was not taking on a project that would put me in the poor house before I ever got it on the road due to some crazy issues or unavailable parts.

Also I was wrong on the year, glad to know its a 62, not a 63.
    If I can get it down to a better price I am willing to make the drive. I like it and think it will be a fun car for my wife and I to cruise around and attend shows in.

egads, chevy57dude, Baumi and 3 others like this.
  5. To me, a 62 is even more desirable than a 63 and a 4-door hardtop is more desirable than a post...but that’s just my opinion. Looks like a pretty decent car to me and I would think around $1000 would be fair with the plans you have discussed. The distance to go get it is about what I traveled to get the 56 in my avatar. But, I also like road trips. Always an adventure. Good luck on making a decision. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Baumi likes this.
  6. Starlinerdude

Starlinerdude
    from Washington

Something else to keep in mind is that if the interior is a common color,you may be able to find a rusty or wrecked parts car with a liveable interior,as you said the demand for those cars and thus their parts would be low and you may be able to get something for a reasonable price,as far as being a door factory they are better than no 63chevy ,I see more 57 chevy door factories on the road than I ever have.

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

If the car is close to being a driver and the price is right go for it. If the car needs lots of work fix up a two door The cost to fix one up is about the same.. My advice get the best project you can afford Most times a $3000 car will cost you more than a $6000 car by the time you get them in the same condition.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Baumi likes this.
  8. I think if the trunk was closed, it was vacuumed up, and the tattered bits were deleted, it would look like a lot more car for the current asking price of $1500. I agree that $1000-1200 seems like a better bargain.

btw, (trivia) it looks like the factory color fawn beige. I think a set of pinner whites on the wheel of your choice would make for a sweet lookin' cruiser.

Baumi and guthriesmith like this.
  9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Hard pass on that. For what you can put an interior in for, you could buy a nice driver 4 door sedan, if that's what you want. If you don't WANT one, don't get one.

Baumi likes this.
  10. samurai mike

samurai mike

stop talking about it and just go get it!

Baumi and Unique Rustorations like this.
  11. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

To me it's pretty damn neat to take an old sedan out of a field and put it back on the road. I feel good saving it from the "not worth enough to waste your time on" and "four doors are parts cars" crowd. Sounds like it could be an awesome cruiser that has parts easily available.

12. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Yep, 100% on that! If it was ‘62 Pontiac Catalina I’d already be renting or borrowing a trailer and planning my route. Good luck. Love to see this turn into a build thread. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, it turned out to be a 62, I dig them even more than 63s. That´s my autumn gold 62 coupe in the background and my friend Manu´s black 4dr hardtop in the foreground... as I said before: These cars drive beautifully and you won´t care how many doors it has going down the road. The loudest noise in my 62 is the gas tank float hitting the top of the tank when it´s almost full and the road a little wavy, it has zero squeaks or rattles and still sporting the factory mufflers.
    IPMS0370.jpg CBQY3439.jpg

Yours is looking pretty unmolested and solid, I think a good wash inside and out could really help it´s appearence. Rockauto has everything you need to get it back on the road.

lewk, jimmy six, 61Cruiser and 5 others like this.
  14. Tell him $1000 and the cool under dash speedometer comes with it

nochop, Carlmac 369, Baumi and 4 others like this.
  15. slowmotion

slowmotion

I'd probably spring for it, if it was local. Wouldn't do the PITA to haul it 600mi, though. Also don't think it would break the bank to get it safely driving. Lots of shared mechanicals from that era Chevys. Could be a fun cruiser on the cheap.

guthriesmith and chevy57dude like this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

Any chance you’ll be in the area for business come springy/summertime?

When I used to fly for work, I’d sometimes have the company pay for a one way ticket and let me use the rest for a rental car for the trip home. But those days were a sight seeing, old friend visiting thing.
    If we’d have had the internet back then, I could have put that money towards a truck and trailer rental.

17. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

600 bucks, its parked in the grass (= runt on the bottom and the frame), outside, no maintenance done since it was parked. Check the engine number to make sure it is not a 283 with 327 covers( I did this once but my car did not go any faster). Who else is going to buy this car for that much!! I would buy the car for 600, repair the mechanical s, and swap the body for a 2 door when one becomes available. in your projected price range and skill level.

18. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]

$$1500 Get It...Do not go past go...get it now.
    That's not a "patina car". That's a survivor. With care and elbow grease, you can bring most of that paint back! The original door panels look intact under those peeling covers.
    Go get it. You are not going to find much better.
    Damn...Look at those bumpers!
    This car could be an A1 cruiser.

61Cruiser, shivasdad and Baumi like this.
  19. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]NEED ADVICE, 1963 CHEVY IMPALA 4 DOOR, YES OR NO

NEED ADVICE, 1962 CHEVY IMPALA 4 DOOR, HARDTOP ORIGINAL PAINT, MOST OF THE INTERIOR IS INTACT, SHOULD CLEAN UP WITH A CAN OF TURTLE WAX, 327 CAR, YES OR NO
    I fixed your title.

Baumi, anothercarguy and 49ratfink like this.
  20. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Go get it! Falcon's Darts????? Go get it!
    Those cars (Darts and Falcons) were pieces of junk new. Go get it! They just were. Go get it! This is a 62 Impala, a flagship car (Go get it)....a real freaking car not an '60s economy car. Go get it!
    I think you need to Go get it!

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This^^^^^^^
    Should be a written law!

22. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    ^^^^
    Around here, this is a $1000 Impala:rolleyes:

23. Oldmopars89

Oldmopars89

looks like its time to go home, sell my bikes and plan a trip back. I have a tow vehicle, just need to rent a trailer.
    I have a few more questions for the owner. It is his legally, but it was part of a Realestate deal, so it was sold as "Real Property" I need to see if the title was with it or if he will need to obtain it with deed paperwork. This may take some time, but I will not buy it without the proper paperwork.
    It may take some time, but I think it is my next project.

24. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Smart move. Make sure you can get a title.
    I do think that car was garage/shelter kept most of it's life.

guthriesmith likes this.
  25. The thing with a late model more door is that they make good sleepers. The problem with an Impala hardtop is that is is going to be heavy, the heavier the car the more motor it takes to go fast. "Speed costs money . . ."

@49ratfink the '49 moredoor with the visor is a Bomba. That is an entirely different story right there. You and me come from a different world than the average HAMBer; Bombitas are cool to us and the people we came up around. ;)

guthriesmith likes this.
  26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think my favorite part of this thread is all the folks shitting on the car without even seeing a photo, along with all the 4 door haters who are still living in the 70's when a 62 Impala SS would sell for $1500.00

lewk, TerrytheK, Moondog13 and 11 others like this.
  27. LOL late '60s and early '70s I was buying that era x frame cars for 30-50 bucks. That was how we paid for diapers and formula. The SS cars were the high end of it. I always had a motor and transmission that would run well enough to sell one and never sold one for a grand running.

I am not a fan of a more door but I am not a custom guy and I don't have a gang or kids to haul around. LOL

I am no longer in Calif and I see this era X frame car all the time on the 1000-1500 range. They are rough in that they are not going to get a waxing and a motor and hit the street. I hate to say this in public but the truth is that almost any project car is worth a grand. More if they are "desirable"

I would pay what I had to if the car was what I wanted.

28. 62 4 door hardtop? A lot cooler than you said. Offer him $1250 and go get it.

slowmotion, 61Cruiser and Baumi like this.
  29. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I would pass and get the one you want. Deals will fall into your lap so long as you put the word out you want to sell and buy..