Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new ride - finally on the road

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by grdra1, Jul 9, 2018.

1. grdra1

grdra1

I recently painted lakester headers with hot paint and installed them today, My plan was to cover headers with titanium wrap and make a new exhaust up to tail pipes adding smithys mufflers. I took a few pics of mock up and am not sure which way to go. My concern is that if I leave headers unwrapped they may damage paint on body - only 2 inches away at closes point. How close is to close with these headers?, will wrap save the paint, a few pics. Glen 275.JPG 278.JPG 279.JPG 281.JPG 282.JPG

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glen I'm running similar chrome pipes on my 29 and the paint has not shown any issues related to heat...the down pipe is wrapped but mainly to cover up ugly...the Chrome pipes well they are blued...It's been rumbling since 2010

Yours is a 30/31 so your cowl may be a little wider hence closer...My pipes have near 3" along each side with the dump caps being around 2.5"...

Now the rear pipes exiting the heads outwards are much closer...LS is 2" and RS is about 1"...this all said no paint issues...;)

0_20200921_175356.jpg

0_20210114_030611.jpg

0_20210114_030617.jpg

Others will chime in...glad your out and about...Have Fun!...;)

3. loudbang

loudbang

You MAY want to think about all the overlapping wraps. That kind of overwrapping has been found to be the cause of most of the cracking problems reported.

chryslerfan55, brady1929 and Stogy like this.
  4. grdra1

grdra1

Thanks Stogy thats helpful, I was thinking of making some spacers at the head instead of modifying the pipes to gain me some more room as 2 inch to me was rather close and the paint was hot to touch today - but the car was stationary. Also Loudbang can you explain the cracking problems ? Im unsure what you mean. Glen

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  5. loudbang

loudbang

I looked at a lot of brands of wrap for an OT car and they all said some people had reported cracking after wrapping. when they looked into the problem they all reported that wrapping one layer or slight overlap at seams was fine, BUT if you didn't follow instructions and had spots with several layers of wrap that is where cracks appeared.
    Disclaimer: not my site I have nothing to do with it, that said it used to have the best explanation of the double wrap problem. But that was 12 years ago and I don't know if it still in here under FAQs

https://www.thermotec.com/

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    chryslerfan55, brady1929 and Stogy like this.
  6. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

Why not fab a heat shield instead of using the wrap?

loudbang likes this.
  7. grdra1

grdra1

Loadbang thanks for reply, Im currently on youtube researching exhaust wrap, they say that 1/4 inch overlap is ok, anymore and there is excessive heat build up in the tube which can lead to cracking.

Redroguy, my initial idea for wrap was only because I like the look, I feel it looks more bad ass than the pipes without it - just my take on it, although my car has turned out more shinny than bad ass. It was never intended for heat shielding, but since my pipes are close to the body I might need to use it. Im unsure if I will use this exhaust or the original one, but I will complete new unit and then decide, I can always alternate. In Australia heat shielding is required over this type of exhaust ( hence registering car with block huggers ), but I dont like the look of shielding, although I have seen it done nice - depends on the car and the look your after. Glen

8. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

those headers are a trickey shape to wrap.it would be easier to start with the 1" wrap.ive done one or two sets of headers (blockhuggers) i secured the wrap at the head with stainless hose clips you could also use stainless lockwire and a lockwire pliers.if there is room between the centre pipes you could wrap cylinders 3 and 5 seperate.drop the roll into a bucket of water before you start,instructions say for half an hour ,but go for the breakfast and leave for longer.an interested assistant will really help.remember you can start off both clockwise and anti clockwise.the wet wrap will stretch ,pull it tight .when it drys after start up it will shrink.and steam up.i estimate you will need at least 50ft of 1" wrap either side good luck its a dark art

9. grdra1

grdra1

Thanks nunattax, I only have 2 inch wide wrap to use, I have 30 feet per side, the experts say only to wet the fiberglass type, no need to wet the titanium stuff. What type have you used in the past, I was going to wrap all in one go from front pipe back but I may wrap pipes 2,3,4 separate first and then wrap from 1 back. 2 and 3 will need to be wrapped together as they are to close. I will post pics of progress. Glen

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

could have been thermo-tec.,anyway there was a dark dust coming off it so i steeped it in water which kept the dust down.had help applying it.!good luck

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  11. grdra1

grdra1

I built my exhaust today, happy with result although mufflers hang down a bit due to brake booster location. Tomorrow I will finish weld and paint black. A few pics Glen 290.JPG 292.JPG 293.JPG 288.JPG 283.JPG

12. grdra1

grdra1

Wrapped headers, welded pipes and painted them black, a few pics. Glen 310.JPG 313.JPG 314.JPG 315.JPG 306.JPG

13. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

looks better this time

Stogy likes this.
  14. grdra1

grdra1

Started installing new cam today, a few pics. Glen 326.JPG 328.JPG 329.JPG

catdad49, Vic Walter, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

brady1929, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That header wrap looks awful.
    My headers are ceramic coated as is my exhaust which I ran through the frame .
    The headers and pipes are close to the body and frame and there is no paint damage.

D2327A9E-F4E2-4F9C-8EB6-35A02F1BB9F6.jpeg 132405AA-3299-4309-8475-8E772A06084F.jpeg 80C51D6D-34A4-4E12-A8A9-7FEEAFCDAD59.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  17. neds29

neds29

Nice very clean looking!

loudbang likes this.
  18. grdra1

grdra1

Installed camshaft today, sealed and buttoned up engine, just need to install accessories to start and run in motor, you are right loudbang - engine nice and easy to work on. Blue one, I love your ride but I am not a fan of keeping my rides clean. I drove a 66 T- bird daily for 10 years here in OZ and only washed it approx twice a year, car lived outside and was my only ride. Stock standard T bird coupe, red with bone vinyl top, original hubcaps with white wall tyres. My kids grew up with this car. (wish I still had it) I know my current ride has turned out sort of pretty but with use it may not shine so much. I feel the wrap gives the car a sort of Bad / race look - my take on things. I am open to all opinions but just letting others know, how I like my own personal rides. Glen

19. v8flat44

v8flat44

grdral, I really like your car. The red wheels/white sides, the stance...one of the best looking hotrods for sure. Nice !!!

20. lancew1959

lancew1959

I wrapped my headers after my 4 year old burnt his hand on the headers trying to watch me adjust the carbs. Very nice Model A you have there. IMG_0333.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. grdra1

grdra1

Thanks guys, Im happy with way this car turned out, Lancew1959 I think your ride is awesome - just the right amount of chop. I feel mine could use another inch out of the top, anyway car is now back on road with new cam installed, goes harder and sounds better now. My plan for now is to just drive it and chip away at any small issues. My Topolino will stay on hold for a while, there is talk of a drag strip to be built near by - will wait and see. Im currently saving for a glass 34 5 window (steel way to expensive here in OZ) to build a Bonneville style coupe. Glen

Lucky667, catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  22. grdra1

grdra1

Been enjoying my ride lately, done almost 3000km of trouble free cruising. I recently purchased these oldsmobile rocket valve covers with adapter plates for a sbc, will clean them up tonight and install them for a different look. Glen 341.JPG 340.JPG

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O :(:oops::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    A different look? How does it feel to officially be a poser ? :D
    You should probably try Hemi valve covers next and then maybe you could switch to fake flatheads or maybe even fake Ardun covers.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    AmishMike and X38 like this.
  24. grdra1

grdra1

Im happy to be a poser as you put it, if that means I can change my car as I want to. I built this car to drive and have 2 sets of wheels, 2 x exhausts, 2 x air cleaners (thinking of buying another set of air cleaners) and 3 sets of rocker covers to mix things up a bit, just my take on things. Glen

verde742, Stogy, Itchy-Pit and 5 others like this.
  25. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

Don't let the trolls bring you down. Do whatever you like.. my 2 cents..

26. fordgezzer

fordgezzer
    from texas

The color you painted the engine goes great with the black body. Really compliments each other.

loudbang likes this.
  27. grdra1

grdra1

Thanks guys, I happy with car so far, Trolls don't bother me they just disappoint me with there negative shit that doesn't really matter. Anyway a few pics with rocker covers cleaned up, also a pic of car with black wheels with baby moons. Glen 346.JPG 348.JPG 343.JPG

verde742, catdad49, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  28. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I ran those same air filters. One day I was doing something (I forget what) ran the car around the block with no filters at all, wow, I thought I picked up 25 HP

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  29. grdra1

grdra1

That's why I drilled a bunch of holes in them if you look close, but I've never tried driving it without them, maybe I should. Glen

loudbang likes this.
  30. grdra1

grdra1

I recently purchased some frog mouth scoops and needed to machine some adaptors to suit my carbs, a few pics. Glen 350.JPG 352.JPG 353.JPG 354.JPG 362.JPG 363.JPG 365.JPG 366.JPG