Register now to get rid of these ads!

Factory standard shift for 60-64 Olds full size? I need some help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F&J, Jun 27, 2012.

1. F&J

F&J

Thanks for the info on the 3 different brake pedals, and also the new pics of the stick 61.

I went back 2 Pg2 to look at that 61 A/T brake pedal to compare with these newest pics, and maybe the stick brake pedal bends over to the right a lot more to make room for a clutch pedal. That's not easy to fix if true.

I still don't have a car to try it on.

2. Charlie Jones

Charlie Jones
    from Apopka FL.

Here's another curve ball! I copied these two pics out of my 63 Olds shop manual.
    They show two completely different rear engine mountings! stick or auto.
    this wouldn't be a problem with 4 spd conversions, but, would be a big PITA for anyone using the original 3 spd bellhousing!
    The one on the left is Hydra-Matic, right is stick.
    Even the 2nd crossmember is different for a stick.

Attached Files:

3. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

I had a 61 - 88 with three on the tree, it had the select shift trans. The biggest issue was eating up clutches and left bell housing mounts. After my third clutch I drilled two holes through the left mount and ran 3/8's bolts through it, no more issues. Today I would do the same and add a torque strap.

4. Charlie Jones

Charlie Jones
    from Apopka FL.

Do you still have the 63 with the stick?

5. I remember a freind's brother-in-law who used to have a Starfire with a four gear. It was a bucket/console car. My dad wouldn't let me buy it because it was that lavender metallic color and said it looked too girly. I ended up with a 68 Riviera GS that was dark purple... :(

6. Charlie Jones

Charlie Jones
    from Apopka FL.

Owen, If you still visit this forum, please tell us more about this experimental project to put a T-10 four speed in a fullsize car.
    I myself, am fascinated with it, and plan on building a "clone" of the test cars. If I can.
    Was it in 63 or 64?
    Did they use a "California" adapter to mate the engine and trans? Or did Olds engineering make their own?
    How many test cars were built?
    Did some of these cars eventually get licensed by private owners/ (eg. executives, or friends of the same.)
    Anything you can add to this story will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Charlie

7. F&J

F&J

I've wondered the same thing. The Chev pattern T-10 has the lower two ears sticking out too far, and I think they would hit the stock Olds bell mounts?

But, if the Ford big car early T-10 was used, there was a trans-dapt? adapter that had a steel plate with side mount provisions, that fit between the trans and adapter bell housing. Just seems odd that GM would resort to an aftermarket part to do test work? I just don't have a clue how they could do the swap with Olds pieces.

8. Charlie Jones

Charlie Jones
    from Apopka FL.

Do you still have these clutch linkage parts?
    I just happened across a 61 clutch illustration. A little different than the 63 linkage I posted before.

Attached Files:

9. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

I just bought the manual conversion from Tony at Ross for my 61 Olds 88 and I will chronicle the whole thing on here. I'm using a Muncie 4 speed and hydraulic release bearing. I'm also building a 62 394 also, Stay Tuned !

10. warren57

warren57
    from Colorado

I changed a 64 from auto to manual. Used 64 chevy parts. Only issue was the crankshaft was not drilled deep enough for a manual pilot bearing. The auto trans bearing was much shorter. Have no idea if it was an Olds issue or a difference between Chevy and Olds. Turned an adapter on a lathe that fit the bellhousing hole id to the trans collar od. Basically spaced the trans back about 1/2". Worked without an issue for years. Used a floor shifter after mod.
    63 or 64 was the first year they used a full sized manual trans in the 442. Prior olds f85's of 61 and 62 had stick shifts, but they were different, don't know what they used.
    Don't know about a 59....

11. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

Im currently doing a 4 sp conversion on my 61 Olds but im using a hydraulic throwout bearing. I was going to post it on here when i was done but the whole story in on bangshift and classicolds

12. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

Well to start, I paid 180.00 to drill the crank for the long Chevy pilot and it was very tight fit. Tony ' s aluminum flywheel, bellhousing , used lower cover, hydraulic throw out bearing were nice parts.I used a CF clutch, new automatic mounts with the ears cut, flipped and rewelded. A really nice low mileage 66 G to M 20 Muncie with stock shifter. My driveshaft was going to be longer than I wanted it to be so I but a Gear Vendors on the Muncie and now my driveshaft is 48" long.I mounted a shortened and modified 5.00 Wilwood swap meet pedal right in the lower corner of the firewall/fuse block which located it right out board of the brake booster.I also used a Speedway 3/4" slave with 48" pressure and bleeder lines (to make it easier to bleed ). Everything was tested on my stand with the engine running and I set up the clearance per CF specs and it worked. Now I'm hooking everything up in the car.

13. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

14. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

Fast forward I just got through installing a new flywheel service McLeod clutch pressure plate hydraulic throwout bearing bolts to the Muncie transmission new slave cylinder and it works way better than the last set up did. I'm currently driving it and it all works well with the gear vendors Overdrive right now I got it painted up kind of like a fake race car to hide all the body work or lack thereof let's see if I can post a picture 20200814_110244.jpg

impala4speed and loudbang like this.
  15. senginc

senginc
    from B'ham, AL

My 59 Olds 371 3 spd manual I bought last fall 2020. Needs a new clutch, slips bad - - so far all I have been able to find is to have my clutch rebuilt - no new clutches available. If someone knows of new clutches please let me know. Left Front 119904126_3114621411982506_4154889278770349049_n.jpg Right Rear Side 120100473_3114621251982522_465177548910478117_n.jpg Under Dash 120084036_3114621395315841_4589076576646016781_n.jpg