Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New purchase made it home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pkhammer, Aug 9, 2020.

1. A Boner

A Boner

Just flip the whitewalls in!

loudbang and pkhammer like this.
  2. pkhammer

pkhammer

Definitely needs a narrower rear end. I had an early bronco housing under my '42 and that worked well. I have a buddy that has a '72 F-100 rear he says he'll sell.
    The front is not 5 on 5.5". It is not stock. Can't say too much about it on this forum but it rhymes with Gus flang poo! :D

loudbang likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - need pics /details on drive train, interior, etc

pkhammer and loudbang like this.
  4. pkhammer

pkhammer

Ok but don't get to excited about the uniqueness of the combo. Chevy 350/350. Builder did rig up the stock column shifter to shift the auto which I like. Interior pretty much bone stock. Classic Instruments gauges. I desperately need to insulate the cab and firewall plus I want to add dual glasspacks that exit in front of the rear tires. 51 ds int.jpg 51 int.jpg 51 ps eng.jpg

Woogeroo, catdad49, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  5. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

I vote for chrome reverse and new black walls. Also with a rear end change that would allow a wider reverse wheel. Lots of choices to match the front.

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I would doll up that Chevy to look like 1962 :).
    I highly suggest you add a neutral safety switch. You’ll have to figure it out. That may be a good thread topic.

pkhammer likes this.
  7. pkhammer

pkhammer

Agreed. Chevy script valve covers and a 283/327 factory air cleaner are in the works!

8. pkhammer

pkhammer

I am also trying to figure out a good way to add some "gates" or a more positive gear engagement set-up rather than just relying on the detents of the transmission itself. I like the use of the stock 3 on the tree shifter but you have to hold the brake and think to yourself "okay, there's reverse, neutral, drive" etc as you select what gear you want to be in.

dirty old man and loudbang like this.
  9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Since the front end has already been changed just pick up an early chevy pickup column that had an automatic. Your detents will be there and so will your safety switch. Maybe even a Van column that had a dash mount key switch.

10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

3 on the tree columns are neat for straight shifts. For automatics, not so much.
    Truthfully a manual column shift rigged to work a auto is just that, a rig.
    Anything you do is just more rigging to the “rig”.

This is something that can kill you or others.

Old truck and old cars will kill you quick. They don’t care what they fall on or run over.

I’ve been through these old trucks and in my opinion the best option for a F1 with a automatic transmission is either a Lokar or Gennie Floor Shifter.

Both companies offer a long straight shifter that is identical to the Ford F1 factory floor shift....48-50.

These shifters have the lockouts and safety switches.
    Avoid Hoffman Group copies.

By the time you make the 28 trips to the auto parts and hardware stores, try to make stuff work, design...,something...
    You could put in one of these shifters in for a lot less trouble and probably less money.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    waxhead and pkhammer like this.
  11. southcross2631

southcross2631

I agree. If you don't mind a floor shift Lokar shifters are great . I have installed many of them in my own cars as well as customers cars and trucks.

pkhammer likes this.
  12. pkhammer

pkhammer

I'll need to look hard at this. Having the shifter on the column is great but it could easily be bumped into neutral or worse yet reverse so I don't want anything dangerous.
    On a separate note, the brakes are VERY sensitive. A light touch is enough to send passenger body parts into the dash. The pedal setup has about a 6:1 ratio which is too much leverage for power brakes. If I can't adjust the pedal ratio I wonder about unhooking vacuum or at least restricting vacuum to the booster.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Very cool F1! Congrats! I had a 51 that someone had put a 265 Chevy in before I got it. Fun truck for sure. Good luck with it!

As far as the shifter, I had good luck with the one Gennie I used in a car years ago and I am sure the Lokars are good as well. And, I wonder if you couldn’t just lose the brake booster? I did that on a different car years ago more because the motor didn’t build much vacuum. It stopped WAY better with manual brakes, but that isn’t your problem here. However, you would likely have plenty of stopping force without the booster.

pkhammer and loudbang like this.
  14. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looking good...!

pkhammer likes this.
  15. Nice pickup!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

pkhammer likes this.
  16. John Heimerl

John Heimerl
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Virginia

Hi! New member here, email: [email protected]
    Interested in your '35 Dodge engine/trans if engine # is "T5-xxxx. Been looking for an original T5 for our '34 for years. Sorry to contact you this way but can't get permission to respond to ad yet!

Thanks, John Heimerl Suffolk, VA 757-621-6361

17. coupe man

coupe man

Nice truck.Have fun with it.

18. pkhammer

pkhammer

It's been a year. A whole year has passed and what have I accomplished other than home improvement projects? Nothing!!! Big changes under way now however on this F1. Engine and trans swap. Rear end swap. Wheels, tires, exhaust, wiring.........................It's time to get this thing back on the road!!!

19. SPEC

SPEC

Nice truck!

pkhammer likes this.
  20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

You’ll love it . I drove mine for at least 80K miles and miss it every day

pkhammer likes this.
  21. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Keep the old wheel tire setup, install the ones you like, switch off to change the look as desired. Best of both worlds.

pkhammer likes this.
  22. pkhammer

pkhammer

How bad are you guys going to flame me if I add a/c? I'm not sure a Wuss like me can live without it!

23. If you want air do it, your the only one tht has to be happy.

These trucks are really gaining in popularity. HRP

pkhammer likes this.
  24. pkhammer

pkhammer

Seems like it's been 95 degrees all summer. I wouldn't drive it much without it I don't think.

I've always been a Ford truck guy. I'm anxious to get this one set up to my liking.

25. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Nice truck, enjoy it your way!

lothiandon1940 likes this.