Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The upholstery thread to end all threads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 5, 2021.

1. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Good to know. I don`t claim to know everything. When you teach, you also learn. That`s why I asked the question. How long has these been around. The only paying jobs since I was 19 were in upholstery shops. If you couldn`t sew on an industrial sewing machine(clutch motor), you wouldn`t get the job.

loudbang, dsiddons and K13 like this.
  2. Roothawg

Roothawg

Nothing wrong with that.

loudbang and dsiddons like this.
  3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I use a old Singer from the 40s at work but have a 30 Consew at home with reverse,I will be reaching retirement age in 7 years and would like to fine someone who wants to learn.

loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  4. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I will do a few and post some pictures soon. The tread I have is suppose to be correct for this type of upholstery. I called Miami Corp and asked the questions and this is what they sent me. I will try to find a number or something on it as well. Appreciate the feedback!!!! This is fun

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

A designer sent me some vinyl and said do the job. About 50 yards. I thought the material was junk. So I called the manufacturer and they said it was good for 75,000 rubs. It is good quality stuff. I called my supplier and they said 500,000 rubs is better. So I told the designers customer and ordered different material. I didn`t want to the job over again in a year because of an inferior product.

loudbang, Roothawg and dsiddons like this.
  6. End all upholstery job photo. Real Tooled Leather in the Ray Vega 38 Ford tub.
    [​IMG]

7. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I have some great leather examples I sent for. Nice distressed stuff comes as a hide. What’s everyone’s thoughts on leather ? When did vinyl come into the picture? Was the 40’s Hot Rods and Customs probably mostly Customs leather? I know the metal flake stuff didn’t come around til early 60’s. These fake 50’s diners has metal flake vinyl on all the booths and bar stools. Anyone have any good history about the fabric used and when?

8. Oil Cloth was used first (1920's), then it evolved into Vinyl, leather has always been for the wealthy guys.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    continentaljohn and loudbang like this.
  9. F-head

F-head

Here’s my setup and a few seats I’ve done 8286D08A-0279-4EDD-BE1D-94857A647B0D.png 343E9C74-22E4-4CDE-9CBD-338B29FFAF7D.png 114A6BE6-C306-4286-B6E9-2569DD13395F.png 52F8E677-78EB-44EA-8EF9-000D9CB1FF18.png C09B668C-B797-414F-8B92-DC6355FFB4AD.png

10. 51box

51box
    from MA

This is PVC foam board about 1/8” thick. I used it to make all the panels in my coupe. It was under $40 for a 4x8’ sheet. It can be stapled to or glued on and will form corners and shapes with some heat gun help pretty easily. It also flexes enough to manipulate panels into a tight spot after being upholstered. A0C653FF-9DEA-42A6-B1ED-E03C1D4E9975.jpeg

9BF8A7F4-90DC-49D5-9E21-B04D03E8AA24.png

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

Looks great. Where do you buy it?

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  12. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.
  13. Osoty

Osoty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing work f head

stanlow69 and loudbang like this.
  14. Roothawg

Roothawg

@F-head, I really like the bench!

dsiddons and loudbang like this.
  15. Yeah, that bench is killer!

dsiddons and loudbang like this.
  16. Roothawg

Roothawg

Even though I am still in the infant stages of this upholstery gig, I see myself looking at things totally different now. Anything that has upholstery is fair game now. Well in my head it is , at least...

17. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I’m with ya.

Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My latest which was last year on my 37 Chevy p/u 100_8762.JPG

Okie Pete, 6inarow, Tetanus and 6 others like this.
  19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Was at a shop that made commercial seating for restaurants. Was helping a guy sell his double needle to them. The older lady was making welt like you mentioned. I asked if she needed a tip for the day. So I told her to make the welt as she sews it on the outer band of the cover she was sewing. Then lay the band on the face of the cover. Then sew the 2 pieces together. You will find that the seam is a lot tighter. With no thread showing when you spread the two apart. She was amazed at the difference it made. She showed the owner and he offered me a job. I declined. I was there a week earlier helping a gal pick out materials and designs for her restaurant and noticed they really need a double needle machine. Always sew the welt on the outer piece first. For most cases. Hope this helps.

20. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I think I see what you mean but for us visual learners could you do a picture sequence? Thanks.

reagen, alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  21. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

I put this same servo on my old jet, way better than the clutch.

Following the gospel since 2004

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I have a stupid phone and the closest place I can pic`s off my camera is 30 miles away. The one here in town is closed due to covid. I`ll see what I can do.

Cosmo49 and loudbang like this.
  23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

As you make your welt, sew it onto your boxing in one step. Then sew your boxing piece onto your face panel. When you sew your boxing on, the thread will be closer to the inside of the welt. Hiding your first stitch you sewed. Most books I`ve read says to sew your welt onto your face panel first. That way, it is much harder to hide your first stitch. Do it both ways and you will see what I mean. When all sewed, spread you material apart and see if you can see a stitch line, if yes, sew the seam tighter. It takes a bit of practice on tight corners without jumping the roundness of the welt. For automotive upholstery, I almost always use premade plastic hollow embossed welt. It comes in many colors. Was used from the 60`s to the 90`s in most cars and trucks. When you make your own, it seems big and bulky, and is the first place to show wear and get torn. And never put a seam in your welt unless it is continuous. Like a square cushion. IMG_20210112_0001.jpg

Okie Pete, brEad, 6inarow and 3 others like this.
  24. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

A lot of talk about welt. My questions are what is common size used and where do you use it? And if you use it between two different colors of fabric which color normally is the welt going to be? Just rule of thumb?

Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  25. klleetrucking

klleetrucking
    from Dalzell,SC

stanlow69 and loudbang like this.
  26. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Meca upholstery tips on YouTube has a 2 part video on how to do a top on a 32’ roadster. He does a amazing job illustrated the entire how to. Looks like he has other videos also.

Okie Pete, loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  27. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who has a good selection of headliner materials, preferably vinyl? I do not want to use that foam backed crap used today in my 49 Buick.

28. reyn

reyn

Meca has some great videos along with Cechaflo. Lots of how to's. I bought a course from
    Lucky Needle. It is 6 hours and starts right from the basics. He does a complete car. All aspects even installing rug.
    There are a lot of resources online.

29. A quilter told me about chalk wheels. That is what you mark your material with when you do top stitching. Another point, never use an ink pen for marking. When the material gets hot in the sun, the ink will bleed through.

30. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Hudson31 likes this.