Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ride and driving difference..model a spring ... t bucket spring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Topolino Kid, Jan 12, 2021.

?

l

1. Suicide perch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Model A

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Looking at which way to go..model A spring pocket or T bucket style suicide perch...thinking of finally starting a Bantam coupe build..most seem to be on t bucket style front end..but I'm really happy with my Super Bell model A style setup i used when i built my Topolino...
    So opinions???pros???cons???

dana barlow likes this.
  2. chrome straight tube axle.. coilovers.. radius rods.. panhard bar. Light is good.

Topolino Kid likes this.
  3. lake_harley

lake_harley

I don't know the overall vision you have for the finished product, but I would offer that using an appropriate sized channel (height, width, shape, material sizing) for the spring mount, if you do cross leaf, would do double duty as front crossmember and spring mount. Doing a "T" type suicide mount is just one more thing to build.

My opinion is worth the price paid. $0.00 ;)

Lynn

4. RJP you're talking what I've envisioned...BUT.. I love the way my Topolino drives...been told its a bit of am oddity..a Topolino with a model A front suspension...
    And ya coil overs n chrome up front sounds cool...just wondering about the ride difference

5. well.. desert racers seem to appreciate the ride of coil overs. Just choose the right springs and shocks for your Bantam's weight. There must be a reason passenger cars ride better than trucks, and the coil springs probably have a lot to do with it....

6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I suspect that the T spring is a touch shorter, which usually translates back to a rougher ride.
    Building a T bucket basically gives you a free go at what ever you choose.
    You have a choice of transverse, semi elliptic, quarter elliptic, torsion bars or coil overs.
    I don't warm to the look of coil overs up front, but hell they may give you a great ride.
    Let us know which direction you end up going in and why...

7. Right note I'm leaning toward the setup i used on my Topolino..super bell skinnier then stock 4" dropped Axel..posiie super slide model a spring..fiat drives smooth up front... easy to setup also...
    My Bantam body is probably heavier i think then my fiat body...the doors are alot heavier... 20210206_200400.jpg

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

Is it going to be full fendered like Blowby's?

9. No ....it didn't come with anything besides the main body...and all the wood for roof filler and wood for the business coupe rear interior...i met a Bantam resto guy 7 years ago..he's been sitting on it for me ever since.. It did come with new floor sheet metal as the floors are a bit rough in front of the doors.. Message_1611693929027.jpg 20210125_220431.jpg

Just Gary likes this.