Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TDC ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldoginMd, Jan 12, 2021.

1. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

Re ; 1964 Chevy 230 6 cylinder
    With #1 at just before TDC. ( no mark )
    Rotor button is pointed at #1 ( one o’clock )and vacuum advance is pointed to front , parallel to motor

To get stared I need to turn dizzy as far as it will go counter clockwise with vacuum advance cramped against engine ( idles good but vacuum hose pinched shit , no rev )

So I reset dizzy with rotor button pointing towards front (2 o’clock) with vacuum advance to front parallel to engine .. same thing have to turn as far counter clockwise to get started ( still good idle )

I am guessing timing jumped .

Am I resetting it correctly by bringing rotor button further up clockwise?
    In another post I ask about Pertronics solving timing problems ?
    I have another motor being built in the wings so I just want to get this one moving somewhat reliably without having to push it
    Thank you, Dan

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  2. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Pull all spark plugs ( for making easy to turn back & forth by hand)
    Bring #1 to top dead center on ""Compression stroke "" To find Tdc stick a Long screwdriver into spark plug hole,
    ( this will rest on piston & move up & down as you turn balancer back & forth to find TDC)

Move harmonic balance back-and-forth watch the screwdriver handel to the point it doesn't move up or down then Mark the block in relationship to the mark on harmonic balance .(or mark both for reference point.)
    That will be pretty much TDC. ((With Cylinder head installed))
    Remove distributor re install , in the middle Max clockwise and counter clock movement with the Rotor button pointing towards #1 cylinder, Reinstall cap spark plug & wires in the correct Firing order on the Cap now you should have plenty of movement for Avance and retard by turning the distributor to set timing

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  3. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

Bringing no.1 piston to the top only guarantees that you have a 50% chance at being correct. It must be on the compression stroke.

loudbang and TA DAD like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

if it's running, and the rotor is pointed at #1 plug wire, then it's pretty much guaranteed that you are not 180 degrees out.

inline_6.JPG

As for it having jumped time...I expect you mean, did the timing gears get off by a tooth? I don't know. You need to make a timing mark as he described above, then you can check the valve timing, and see.

They used a fiber timing gear on the cam, originally, and they did have troubles, but usually went out completely rather than just skipping one tooth.

5. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

Thanks all,
    2 part answer .. how I find TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke is actually quite easy. If you look at the picture there is a spark plug wire and the end of a cut off one ..pull #1 plug
    (or all) take that cut off piece , flip it over and shove that down in the spark plug hole ... bump the starter with the remote and get your head outa the way ..... there will be NO question when your on the compression stroke.. fine tune with screw driver from there
    ( sorry for shouting)
    Dan

Attached Files:

6. Budget36

Budget36

Well, if you have no doubts you have #1 at TDC, it’s a matter of putting the distributor in correctly now. I assume the oil pump is driven by the distributor shaft like a Chevy V8? If so, then you will have to reach in with a flat screw driver and adjust the oil pump slot so you can get things lined up right.

Or, move all the wires over one on the cap

7. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

I got it in there’s the correct way ... I guess I was asking how to do it the wrong way .
    Thanks all !
    Dan

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally someone with the right expectations for this site. :cool:

9. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

Bandit , no I come here to to find excellent advise and more than usually do .. what I was asking was some help figuring out a brain fart on my end . If you read the post you would know that I just need to get this thing on and off a trailer, you also know I am building another engine ( I hope right ) . I always was of the opinion that the distributor could give a flying leap where # 1 is ...
    Dan

loudbang likes this.
  10. Paint_Rep

Paint_Rep

On a 194/230/250 (had several) but big time on SBC’s, I never trusted any previous owner on timing marks, etc. I always (and still do to this day) pull the #1 plug, put my finger in it, and bump the starter till it blows my finger out. Most of the time, when I pop the cap off, the rotor is very near on on #1. When I re-install, I always drop in pointing to #1, and time a six or SBR by ear. I’ve never had an engine with enough high-end parts to use a gun lol....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

"Budget36......Or, move all the wires over one on the cap...
    That’s what I was looking for ... as always I over look the obvious.thanks bud

Budget36 likes this.
  12. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

You rock !
    Carb fixed ....check
    TDC fixed ......check
    Now ...Starter
    When the (project) car sits for a day starter will roll over with the key a couple of times then nothing

The same thing happens with the remote starthooked directly to the starter posts.

It will ALWAYS turn over when posts are crossed with a screwdriver.

Engine is not hot or warm

New full charge battery is unhooked between tries

What should I be looking at for the fix ?

Thanks ! Dan