Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Willys PU build....from sedan panels.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kiwi Kev, Apr 22, 2012.

1. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Strange times everywhere at the moment, our racing season hasn't started yet and I'm beginning to wonder if we will turn a wheel in anger at all this year .
    On a brighter note I managed to get a sweaty old pair of 15" x 10" magnesium Halibrands, been dry stored for the last 25 years but in need of a bit of tlc.
    They'd been double drilled 5" & 4.75",
    only problem was the holes were a mess.
    I put them up on the milling machine and bored them oversize and counterbored into the face. 100" deep, then made some stainless steel top hat sleeves and pressed and loctited them into place. I've had them aqua blasted and given them a good coating with Gibbs, now just waiting for them to darken down. They're not pristine but the gnarly look will suit the truck perfectly.

Sent from my F3311 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

elgringo71, catdad49, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  2. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Trying to upload some pics but cant seem to atm.

Sent from my SM-T550 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

nunattax, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  3. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Lil'Alb, enloe, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  4. Gassy

Gassy
    from Tennessee

Those will look nice old friend. I have a pair in about the same condition. The stainless inserts really did the job on yours. Can't wait to see them on the truck.

9sectruck and elgringo71 like this.
  5. Those look really nice. Good idea on sleeving the holes.

9sectruck likes this.
  6. Congrats on the 9sec pass. That's a hard get... I'm sure KiwiKev approves.

9sectruck likes this.
  7. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thanks, we managed a couple of meetings towards the second half of last year and I lowered the et a bit more, its gone 9.93 now. Really pleased with that.
    The motors in pieces now for a check out and I've got a Dart block on its way over to England to make it a bit more bulletproof if I decide to run a bit more boost.

Sent from my SM-T550 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. I love watching all the Gasser videos on Youtube. You guys have some great cars....

9sectruck likes this.
  9. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

They look good,nice job.

10. Super Duty

Super Duty

Pretty badass like always Kevin

11. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thought I'd post a bit of an update on the truck, it's been a bit of an up and down sort of year.
    Decided to upgrade to a Dart block as my old one had become a bit porous, although I ordered it from Summit in late December unfortunately for one reason or another it didn't reach the UK until late May so I was left with no motor and was faced with missing the bulk of the season. I managed to aquire a 383 as a stopgap at a great price. First race had a bad vibration and after a lot of investigation found a cracked bellhousing, sourced a secondhand ultrabell and fixed that problem, second race lost oil pressure on the 383,so that was 2 for 2.
    Finally managed to get the Dart block assembled and dynoed in time for our last meeting ,the Hot Rod Drags...... it was a nice end to the season ran in the low 10's all weekend and got to the final of Gasser Circus only to lose out to a good friend.
    Also had a batch of Gas Junkie T Shirts printed to sell at the track, I have a few XL and 2XL left over if any of you guys that have followed this thread from the start would like one.
    I'll sell them off at $20 each including shipping from the UK.
    Send me a message or comment below. T Shirt Back.JPG T Shirt Front.JPG

Cymro, enloe, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  12. catdad49

catdad49

Saw some of the truck at Santa Pod and said ,” Hey, he’s on the H.A.M.B.”! Glad you had a little track this season. All the Best, Carp.

enloe and 9sectruck like this.
  13. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thanks Carp, it's great you're able to catch up with some of our racing.

Thor1 and catdad49 like this.
  14. catdad49

catdad49

I find a lot of great stuff on You Tube. Love Fast Freddy’s truck as I had a 66 C-10 short fleet side. What are your plans for the off season?

15. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Now the motor is rebuilt with only seven passes on it I'm leaving well alone apart from possibly changing the blower pulleys to give a bit more boost (only running 7psi at the moment) so won't be changing anything apart from the wheels for next year, I want to run the old Halibrands on the rear and have sourced a pair of skinny Fenton slots for the front. If funds allow I might take the vinyl lettering off and get it signwritten instead. I've got to strip and rebuild the 383 too so that'll keep me occupied over the winter. BTW everybody loves Fast Freddies truck!

Cymro, enloe, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  16. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

Great shots, great work and awesome work environment.

17. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thanks, it's been a great journey with the truck. Not over yet though, I want to run consistent 9's. and win a couple of Gasser Circus rounds.

mad mechanic likes this.
  18. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Just realised this thread that Kiwi Kev started is over 10 years old now so thought I would bring it right up to date with my highlights on the seasons racing the old truck with the Gasser Circus.
    Our race series is ran over 6 meetings from May to September, points are awarded along the way for qualifying positions and eliminations.
    After going a few rounds in the first couple of meetings I finally managed to nab a win and an awesome trophy at Dragstalgia our most prestigious nostalgia meeting of the year.
    Followed this up with a semi final at the next meet which put me in the surprising position of actually taking the Gasser Circus championship.
    It all came down to the Hot Rod Drags with 3 drivers in contention but with the points advantage I had accumulated I just needed to win my first 2 rounds.
    Opponent red light in round one followed by a no show in round two meant that I'd clinched the championship.
    I could never have imagined the journey this old truck has taken me on since the day I stumbled upon this build thread, so a huge thanks to Kevin for having the vision to build it from a pile of scrap parts in the first place.

19. 9sectruck

9sectruck

The years highs FB_IMG_1672327065957.jpeg FB_IMG_1672327057114.jpeg FB_IMG_1672327396993.jpeg FB_IMG_1672327381157.jpeg

mad mikey, Cymro, slayer and 6 others like this.
  20. Jon Hill

Jon Hill

Awesome Ray!

9sectruck likes this.
  21. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Awesome.....

9sectruck likes this.
  22. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Awesome. I sent kev the upper cab panels by back glass.
    I feel like I'm part of the journey.
    Good luck on the up coming season.

9sectruck likes this.
  23. AmishMike

AmishMike

Found this post yesterday & just finished reading. Great build by Kiev., & great updates by 9second Brit. Spending winter near Ventura just need to find & visit that junk back yard. WOW, great thread/post

24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Yu guys have the best trophies.