Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Does it look anything like my finger? After a battle 749C0A59-5EE3-4B09-B51B-03CC6715A2CF.jpeg 8893BF56-0C07-4D7A-988B-AA53A0B43D1C.jpeg with a table saw?

Bones

2. One word: OUCH!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. As a much younger man, I had a buddy that didn't respect the big Schwitzer turbo's on a Continental AV 1790. The engine was shut off and the turbo's were spinning down and he thought he'd slow one down. It didn't have inlet screens on it... He didn't account for it still pulling air. There wasn't a big enough piece left to attach. He lost a fair bit off of four fingers, I don't remember if he lost enough to get discharged, but still it was a hell of a sight!

4. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I built my shop at home in 1993. i could hardly afford the building at the time much less put a bathroom in it. the hand washing thing has been an issue since day one. i have washed up a few different ways, had a old orange juice bottle of water, walked up and used the outside faucet on the house or just went in the house with filthy hands which did not please the GF. i had been thinking of buying one of those little foot pump wash stations but it needed a seperate tank and took up more room than i wanted. My friend that has the new spotless shop(vacuums and dusts his window sills--not kidding) suggested i trench in a water line and install a sink. yeah right. i happened to notice a water cooler sitting on my storage shelf at work and thought i should be able to come up with a way to use that. so i set it up on a couple of 15 gallon oil kegs and tried it out. It worked so well i decided to build a stand to set it on and here is what i came up with. i just empty the bucket out at the end of the weekend. it also has a heater in it for hot water and a chiller for cold water if i want to plug it in.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      177.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

^Cool! Now you can wash your hands after ya pee:rolleyes:

loudbang, lonejacklarry and Six Ball like this.
  6. cshades

cshades
    from wi

that is correct!

loudbang likes this.
  7. cshades

cshades
    from wi

the other thing i have built lately is some stands for my friends jeep pickup fenders we are redoing(the same freind that dusts his window shop sills---we are doing this in my shop because it would make mess in his). i am thinking i can use them for other car fender holders when i finish his truck. i have an exhaust pipe bender at work so i whipped these up out of exhaust tube. it took me a few hours but i think it worth the time so i am not trying to hold on to the fenders while i am sanding.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      136.6 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      164.2 KB
      Views:
  8. Thats a great idea . I’m too cheep/lazy for that, i just use a spray bottle of 409 or something similar. That gets me clean enough to get to the house laundry tub

9. I work as a forklift tech and I sometimes work places where there is no water (barns and remote warehouses) I use a hand cleaner from Snap on that works excellent without water. Just use soap, rub and use paper or a towel.
    This soap works better than the ones with sand or small plastic pellets!

Rune from Norway[​IMG]

Sent fra min S52 via Tapatalk

10. cshades

cshades
    from wi

^I have used waterless hand cleaner before but still prefer to rinse with water when finished. my hands just feel cleaner

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Me , too! I have the same problem you have with my detached shop! No water and my paved circle drive and septic system are in the way to put a pipe to it! Crap! So I just have the waterless hand cleaner and towels, now! Thinking of a solution, just not sure which one yet! Lol

Bones

deathrowdave, loudbang and fauj like this.
  12. Coggles

Coggles

I work in the utility industry and we bore gas lines under driveways and whatnot. The septic is a littler harder but can still be done if you bore deep enough. We do it all the time because it’s so much cheaper and faster than digging. I bet a contractor could solve that problem for you in a real hurry.

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  13. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

A friend of mine had the gas company install a line from the road to his house for an emergency generator, probably about 1000'. They bored it under his driveway and came up within 6" of where he put a stake.
    Charge was around $500. He asked, "What if I don't use anymore gas than I used to?" the guy running the crew said, "We don't care." YMMV

14. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I do have water outside my shop but I also have a rain barrel with two spigots on it. One at the bottom and another mid ways up. If I don't want to use the hose I can use the barrel.

pivir123, reagen, Boneyard51 and 2 others like this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My new shop has a full bathroom, and by full I mean it has a shower too. Good hot water.

Even has enough space for my Italian leather sofa and love seat. I can nap while long CNC jobs are running.

Just need cable TV now.

17. brading

brading

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I live in wisconsin so a rain barrel outside at this time of year doesnt work well, the water gets really hard. lol

19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I thought about that. Just ball park , what would the cost to have a contractor bore and put pipe under 40 feet of driveway? I know where and when comes into play, but curious.

Bones

loudbang likes this.
  20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

My son is a drilling engineer in the oil industry. They can drill a mile horizontally and come within 3-4 feet and that may start a few thousand feet underground.

arkiehotrods, Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  21. Coggles

Coggles

Well... I’m in CA and the internal cost would be about....total ballpark.... $1600. In OK probably significantly cheaper as utility crews don’t work cheap and nothing in CA is cheap. Ever. Period.

22. Don't know about '40 ft; but we tunneled under a couple driveways with a pipe hooked to a water hose; added more pipe as the water "bored" a hole.

clem, Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  23. brading

brading

That sounds a useful idea. Will give that a try in the spring.

24. phat rat

phat rat

Wow running hot water, shower. Guess I'm in the stone age, I have wood heat and use GoJO to clean up. I don't dust the window sills either

25. What are these window sills people speak of, must be the skinny shelves at the bottom of the windows.

arkiehotrods, scotty t, BJR and 4 others like this.
  26. phat rat

phat rat

That's the ones

BJR and loudbang like this.
  27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I can't even see my skinny shelves at the bottom of the windows...

28. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Do y'all really wash your hands after ya pee........or are you just funnin me? :p I just walk outside and let it fly, then go back to work. None of the neighbors have ever complained but I would swear I have heard an occasional giggle! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

6-bangertim, reagen, scotty t and 4 others like this.
  29. VI Lonewolf

VI Lonewolf

Nope. I wash 'em before I touch my ..........

indyjps, ekimneirbo, scotty t and 2 others like this.
  30. brading

brading

If that were me the neighbours would need binoculars just to have a giggle and they live close by.:)