Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How Low Can Zephyr Go

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mnathan660, Jan 11, 2021.

1. mnathan660

mnathan660

Just acquired a 1941 Lincoln Zephyr 5 passenger Coupe.
    Transverse leafs with 7.00 x 16’s have it sitting higher than my 1/2 ton truck.
    Without splitting wishbones, channeling or lots of frame work, how low can I expect to lower it with new springs?
    I would love 5 inches in the rear and 3 up front . . .
    Looking for realistic options, any links to traditional lowering are also much appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Put a chrysler hemi or a caterpillar block in the trunk. :D

31hotrodguy, 5window and mnathan660 like this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

You can start the way a Model A guy would start, reverse the spring eyes on the main leaf front and back, remove one leaf from each pack, then reinstall and see where you land. I think the Zephyr has spring-behind rear setup so you might be able to add longer shackles and get a bit there too although I don't think you want to change the angle of the shackles too much.

Also, lowering more in the rear is going to EDIT add some caster to the frontend, which could be an issue. Driveshaft tunnel clearance near the back seat may also become an issue.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I recall correctly, tires that size will hit the body in the rear if you try to do a static drop that low, and actually drive it.

I cannot say for sure, but here is probably a spring shop in the Denver metro area. You can have leaf springs made that are built lower than stock.

5. mnathan660

mnathan660

Thank you, we have several spring shops in the metro and that was the route I was exploring.

6. mnathan660

mnathan660

Appreciate the advice, I was planning to find different springs and will play that route first with reversed, rearched main springs and rebuilt stacks.

7. alchemy

alchemy

Lowering more in the rear will cause caster to be greater, not less. Not always a bad thing.

If you don't want to do big mods, I'd say the first step is to crawl under the car and measure how much room from the top of your axles to the rubber bumpers on the frame. That is the answer to "how low can I go?" Then just figure out if you can do it all with spring reversing and flattening, or maybe you need shackle work, or maybe something more drastic.

But, realize that riding on the bumpers will be a rough ride. That's why lots of guys use dropped axles in front and C'ed frames in the rear.

8. mnathan660

mnathan660

Thanks for the tips.
    These are all good things to consider.
    To clarify , I am not looking to take this thing into the weeds, and with it currently sitting 13” of height off the street to the lowest point of the car it should come down some.
    There is about 12” of clearance from the top of the tires to the inner fenders, and with the driveshaft, wishbones and turn radius I am fairly sure 5 - 6 inches will not cause interference and a little positive caster would help.
    Just want a little less overall height, no gap in the front tire to fender lip aesthetic, and a slightly lower rear to front drop.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Have someone on the HAMB drop the front axle.

mnathan660, kidcampbell71 and 302GMC like this.
  10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

A set of 15'' wheels with 6.70 tires would drop it 3'' minimum, probably more.

mnathan660 likes this.
  11. Pretty low, check out our video on an LZ.

mnathan660 and Bandit Billy like this.
  12. Squablow

Squablow

You're right. I edited my post accordingly.

13. A dropped axle in front will get you approx 3 inches, with no other changes. Reverse the eyes and you are at 5 inches roughly, and still decent susp travel so not sitting on the bump stops. The dropped axle also can pull the wheels in a little, making them more centered in the front fenders, so less issues with tire clearance than when more near the outer edge.
    Rear is going to be tougher, as you can only do so much before susp is on the bump stops. Longer shackles, dearched springs, are all ways to get the rear down. Eventually you will need to consider the frame mods. For sure the Zephyr coupes look much better when lowered down. For that matter most all cars seem to look better when lowered, LOL.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. mnathan660

mnathan660

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. mnathan660

mnathan660

Finished initial lowered car about 3 inches up front and 5 inches rear.
    9E677E5C-7026-4969-94D9-FB61E995B380.jpeg l

Removed spring leafs:
    - 6 front (had 2 extra leafs)
    - 4 rear
    Fabricated and replaced rear lower crossmember with a flat version made of 3 inch 1/4 square tube.
    Wonder why no one has mentioned 2 piece crossmembers before?

16. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Looking good.

17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

That's one classy looking car. I don't mind taildraggers but what you have done looks great!