Register now to get rid of these ads!

how to set the timing on a chrysler flat head 6 without starting it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1951custom, Jul 8, 2013.

1. 1951custom

1951custom
    from ohio

Im interested in how to set the timing on a chrysler flat head 6 without starting it. Im building a rod and had to change out the original flat head with a differant one. The flat head im working on is out of a 48 desota and i replaced the oil pump but i think i got the timeing all messed up and i want to at least get it close before i go and try to crank it over. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated

2. badshifter

badshifter

3. chiro

chiro

bring your number one cylinder to the proper timing mark you want, 5 degrees BTDC, or whatever you want it to be by setting it on the timing mark on the flywheel or front dampener or wherever your mark is on your particular engine. Then pull the plug wire on the number one spark plug and hold it near a ground on the engine block. Turn the key to the on position, but do not engage the starter. Then loosen the distributer and rotate it until you see the plug wire spark on the engine block. You may have to attach a plug to the end of the wire to see the spark. Voila! You now have spark at the timing that you have set on the timing mark. Tighten down the distributer and fire it up. You will be very close to where you need to be.

hemihotrod66 and stillrunners like this.
  4. ventureboy

ventureboy

Take out plug #1, lay it on the head where you can se a spark jump the gap. With key off turn engine over till timing marks line up, ( use socket and flex handle to get it there). Now loosen distributor clamp, turn key on, rotate distributor til you see spark at the gap, tight ten distributor clamp. Check with timing light later.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

hemihotrod66 likes this.

5. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

As the above two posts have stated. Been doing it that way on all initial startups and in my experience you will be within one degree, which is good enough until you can get a light on it. My old man taught me this about 50 years ago.

hemihotrod66 likes this.
  6. AndersF

AndersF

Allways rotate the crank in the same direction its rotate in the engine.
    Otherwise can the slack in the timingchain set you off.
    If you miss the mark you want with a little overcorrect backvards and start over.

7. tassiepete

tassiepete

bring No 1 cyl to 5 deg before TDC on the compression stroke ,hook a test light to the neg (-) side of coil and a good earth , switch ign to ON , rotate dist until test light glows , tighten dist.....done

8. James Curl

James Curl

On flat head Chrysler products you will find a plug in the head above #6 piston, remove it and insert a 8" or so piece of rod and turn the engine over until you find TDC on #6 cylinder. Both #1 and #6 are up at the top of their stroke at the same time, only one is on compression and the other on the top of exhaust. You can insert an air nozzle with a rubber tip to seal the air in into the #1 spark plug hole and force air into the cylinder. It will try to rotate the engine if on TDC at#1 or offer no resistance if at TDC on #6.

stillrunners likes this.
  9. tassiepete

tassiepete

WOW...that's a trick I didn't know....Ill use that..im in your debt,sir:)

stillrunners likes this.
  10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Some good advice so far. Find TDC, either using timing marks or the rod down the #6 cyl trick. Be sure #1 cylinder is on its firing stroke. Of course this is easy with the head off, almost as easy with the head on.

With the engine at TDC on the firing stroke install the distributor with the points correctly adjusted. Turn until the points are closed. Slowly turn the distributor anti clockwise until the points just open. This is the instant the spark fires.

3 methods to find exactly when the points open:

Put a piece of cigarette paper between the points. Tug on it gently as you turn the distributor. When it comes free the points are open.

Use a test light. Connect one side to the movable point and the other to ground. You can clip the wire to the wire that comes out of the coil, to the distributor.

As you turn the distributor, the light will come on when the points open. The ignition must be on for this to work. If the engine is not in the car, you can use a self powered light or a multi meter set to measure ohms resistance. In that case the light will go out, or the meter will drop to zero.

Another method is to tune a transistor radio between stations, turn the dist, when the points open you will hear a *pop* from the radio. The ignition must be on for this.

Your engine is supposed to be timed to fire at TDC so that is easy. Breaker point gap .020.

p15-1948 likes this.
  11. p15-1948

p15-1948

Transistor radio, thought I was the only person who still has one. All good suggestions on setting the timing.

12. Jchandler

Jchandler
    from California

this is very helpful, and full of some good techniques. Thank you