Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need some input on selecting a shifter for a turbo 350

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Jan 9, 2021.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Doing some research on a shifter for my young sons 1963 Rambler build. We have a sbc and turbo 350 set in place. In the past I have used Gennie shifter products and Was really Pleased with them. I’ve never been a big fan of the push button lokar stuff.
    My Gennie shifter stuff I’ve used in the past was in 30s cars in the mid mount configuration, it looks like the Rambler will use a rear mount. Are the any other products you guys have used that you like and could recommend?

2. I got a hurst quarter stick I like really well. I also got an original shifter from a '63 Olds Cutless that I would use especially if I was building a '60s car. It is a cable shifter so you could pretty much put it where ever you want it.

I have also used the cheapo Hurst Indy shifter it bolts to the floor so you could put it where you like as well. I used one in this old heap of a pickup for 80K no problems.

I unfortunately do not have an interior pics but it fits the era of the build perfectly.

[​IMG]

mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  3. These work grate, like porknbeaner mentioned a cable will let you sit the handle unit anywhere you want it.
    [​IMG]

mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  4. j3harleys

j3harleys

I don't like the push button either so I used a Lokar shifter and their adaptor and a white ball knob.

SlamIam likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

kind of depends on what the rest of the car is done like...what's the flavor of it? As you can guess, pictures help

lothiandon1940 and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  6. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I am using this shifter on a truck I am building, it came from a 60's 70's Postal Jeep. It takes a rod to connect it to the trans. I had to fab my own safety switch. Pretty cool shifter, solid good gates , easy to modify. But it might not be what your looking for. studebaker build 005.JPG studebaker build 002.JPG studebaker build 005.JPG studebaker build 002.JPG

Elcohaulic likes this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is most important, next is how much you want to spend.

I had a floor mounted cable shifter out of a GM donor rig in my 48 when I had the turbo 400 in it with a small box built around the shifter. Cost was the price of a new shift cable. I had an early Mustang shifter in my T bucket with the powerglide in it. That one cost me a few bucks at a Texas wrecking yard in the early 70's. It worked like Ta Dad's postal jeep one with a shorter shift handle. I just found a big enough shift boot at the speed shop that I think may have cost more than the shifter.
    Looks like it was designed to go in that car no matter what you use counts for a lot though. Looking stuck in as an afterthought is stuck in as an afterthought.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

Tough to find now, unless made aftermarket, but those early mustang shifters, sure looked in place, had one in my PU for a bit, but went to the Band M just to not have to bend over so far. Never should have given that thing away

9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

2C517FBE-1182-4CB9-B578-BE235B85F0A8.jpeg
    This is a low buck build financed by. 19 year old. Plans are a patia sleeper. Low buck is the name of the game.

10. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

That Postal Jeep shifter looks just like the one that was in the console of my '66 Rambler American.

Gary

Stogy likes this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

can you find a Chevette in a pick-a-part? :)

Stogy likes this.
  12. In my Hawk I easily transplanted an 81 AMC Eagle floor shifter. That also worked great on an Avanti with th350 I once had.
    That shifter just happened to seem identical to shifters I have seen in the mid 80s smaller Mustangs that were running around everywhere at the time.
    I think that was probably the source.
    You might find those easy and cheap... if not too much time has gone by.

Sent from my SM-G981V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Hurst Quarter stick for @ or under $300.
    Safe well built , cable . & B&M street stick.
    All those shifter that have Ratchets, springs ect. 80s to Present Are Junk not consistent. ( BM Mr Gasket some Hurst)
    The LoKar shifter push button, I have change the
    Gates to pull back in low (1st) push forward to 2nd then push button hold to drive , release button to Natural, push button hold for reveres.
    You might ask why I did all the Rework
    It should have been made that Why.
    Also the Lokar shifter fit the lock of that Vehicle .

Just Gary likes this.
  14. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Will it have a console? How bout a Hurst His n Hers?

Obviously you’d have to enclose it but they are cool and it might match the build ok.

Regards, Randy

IMG_1620.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

31 B'ville, Elcohaulic and loudbang like this.
  15. southcross2631

southcross2631

For a good low buck set up Gm had floor mounted shifters in many of their can through the 70's and 80's. Camaro's and Firebirds are some of the cars. If using bucket seats you can then get the whole console . Remember if running a cable shifter to run a good ground so the cable does not become the ground strap.

loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Thank you!!! I too have a very similar shifter, the only real difference is a round ball and button. Bought it off that auction site and figured it would work on just about anything I'd need it for. Now everyone will be looking for Postal Jeeps. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thanks for the input guys. Ratchet shifters are out of the question, we would like to go with something that looks like it grew there.

loudbang likes this.
  18. goldmountain

goldmountain

I used one from a Vega in my car ages ago. One ugly shifter.

X-cpe and loudbang like this.
  19. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Hurst Autostick I... Bolts to the transmission, has gates and feels like a four speed, no cable has direct linkage.. Very nice shifter...

Best interior shot.JPG

Randall, Country Joe and loudbang like this.
  20. Those were good shifters. Do they still make them? A friend had one in a sam-er-rooo excellent shifter.

Elcohaulic and loudbang like this.
  21. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Sure do. Repo for Olds and Pontiacs. Expensive but cool nonetheless. Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

porknbeaner and loudbang like this.
  22. This will probably be considered off topic, but look for a mid '70s through '80s Jaguar, sedan or coupe. They used a compact cable-operated floor shift that doesn't have that 'fake manual shift' look that so many of the aftermarket ones do or the '30s look like the Gennies and Lokars that look out of place in newer cars. Built-in NSS, and most were connected to TH400 trans. Good, positive detents too. You'll need to build a partial cover, but much more of a OEM look. I never see these missing out of the wrecked/dead cars, should be able to find one cheap with a bit of hunting.

23. wannabebubba

wannabebubba
    from NC

I was junkyard scrounging last weekend and came across a late 80's JEEP Cherokee with a reasonably good looking floor shifter, it was 2wd.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- have to use a cable style - 20201014_162509.jpg 20201110_110706.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Ford Aerostar Van had a tall floor shifter. Might have to make a new shaft for it as it has angle in it, or build a tapered floor mount to get the stick to be straight up if it is leaning back too far.

Don't rule out the FWD cars, either. Almost all of them use a cable shifter, you could always shorten the cable or just loop it if you needed to. Some of them that came without a full console will already have a box around them that bolts to the floor.

loudbang likes this.
  26. ^^^^
    More good places to look... Sometimes we're guilty of not casting a wide enough net...

porknbeaner and loudbang like this.
  27. AHotRod

AHotRod

Rusty Rocket !!!
    Here is your answer: Complete Floor Shifters – Shiftworks
    I have the short 68 Corvette style cable shifter in my Chevy II Wagon now for 7 years and love it... get there cable to.... they are made in the USA.
    You can get them through Summit Racing for less money too !
    You can get white or black knob... look all over there website, you'll find what you like.
    SW280-C01_300x350.jpg

Then I made my own design of a cover console that I incorporated the shift plate into

SW280-014A-T_850x.jpg

28. Greenblade

Greenblade

Screenshot_2020-11-17-23-04-52-1.png Screenshot_2020-11-26-11-01-05-1.png Screenshot_2020-11-26-11-01-23-1.png Hi everyone, This is sort of the look I'm going for. Obviously this won't have overdrive but I want it to look like it does. (I'll most likely use the "overdrive" shift knob as the exhaust cutout switch)

loudbang likes this.
  29. goldmountain

goldmountain

That particular center console was used in a lot of the AMC fancy two door cars in the sixties. I had one that I think came from a Rambler American. I have never seen one with the overdrive stick. It just seems to appear in the sales literature.

30. goldmountain

goldmountain

That particular center console was used in a lot of the AMC fancy two door cars in the sixties. I had one that I think came from a Rambler American. I have never seen one with the overdrive stick. It just seems to appear in the sales literature.