Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Sgt. Schultz' 1940 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Surfcityrocker, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Sgt. Schultz: Our Ford always gets too hot.
    Hogan: Add some louvers.
    Sgt. Schultz: You mean like this.....

75.jpg 66.jpg 60.jpg
    Saw this pictures of a 1940 Ford Sedan, captured and used by the German Army in Africa on a military site.
    Interesting that they have added louvers to the front and side of the hood. I can imagine that overheating of the flathead was a topic in the desert.

Stogy, catdad49, Baumi and 6 others like this.
  2. Looks like they added some '39 headlights as well.:)

3. oldolds

oldolds

4. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The blackout covers on the headlights are sure neat.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. ....I imagine that the edict went out from Henry in Dearborn to all of his assembly facilities around the world, "Don't waste anything! If it is in inventory from the previous year and it will fit the current production, use it !".....My words, not necessarily his exact words.:D;) FB_IMG_1586333645443.jpg

6. I completely overlooked the 39 headlights!
    Where there any 39/40 Fords built with a sunroof? Or was this also a military conversion?
    The pics are from 1942, so the car was still quite new.
    I also wonder what the hub caps are? They do not show any ornaments or logos, almost like Baby Moons.
    The night driving light is definitely a German addition, a so called "Notek"- light.

7. I think those hubcaps are just '40 Standard caps caked in dirt. As far as the sunroof goes, I have never seen any reference to a factory one. Perhaps the Germans enjoyed that on those clear, starry night cruises on the Sahara.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

How about that windshield frame ?

Bandit Billy likes this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^Beat me to it, that shiny frame looks like a crank out 39

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

It still has cowl wipers, so I don't see how it could crank out. Probably anomalies because it's not a us built car.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. modagger

modagger

Well......., since this thread started with a Sargent Schultz reference, this is my contribution.

Back in the early 70’s I was a disc jockey at an FM station and one part of our job consisted of running the control board for the obligatory public service programs that ran on the weekends. My assignment was for the German language program.

One Sunday the host told me that he was very excited for me to meet his guest for the program. I asked but he wouldn’t tell me who it was. I was about 24 and try as I may, I couldn’t think of any guest on a local German language program that I would be excited about meeting. That all changed when John Banner walked into the studio.

As usual I had no idea what the conversations were about, but for almost the whole hour that studio was filled with laughter. Which translates well no matter what language.

At the end of the program he stayed around and regaled us with stories from Hogan’s Heroes and I even convinced he and the host to record a sound bite for me of a recurrent scene in the series:

“Shoot him Schultz!”. “Oh, I dropped my rifle!”. I unfortunately lost that tape somewhere along the way.

My short encounter with him left a lasting impression of him as a genuine sort of guy.

12. belair

belair

Too bad the pictures loaded. I wanted to say "l see nothing."

Stogy, HEMI32, chevy57dude and 15 others like this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Now that's funny. Sad thing is there is a whole generation that is clueless.

Bob

Stogy, chevy57dude, catdad49 and 10 others like this.
  14. modagger

modagger

Now that’s funny!

15. Carlmac 369

Carlmac 369

Excellent.

Stogy, 55Belairman and Blue One like this.
  16. v8flat44

v8flat44

I hear nothing, i know nothing....often said to my lovely wife during interigation......I learned alot from that show....

Stogy, Atwater Mike, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Col. Hogan's Diary entry 1/10/1943
    Note to self; upon returning home to US after the war...customize 1940 fords.

Stogy, chevy57dude and Surfcityrocker like this.
  18. GeeRam

GeeRam

But its LHD, so unlikely it was a South African made car, as it would have been RHD.

Stogy and Surfcityrocker like this.
  19. AS poorly as the American Army did in Africa before Patton took over II Corps, it's mostly likely an American-made car that was captured and modified (Notek light, sliding sunroof, etc)

20. GeeRam

GeeRam

This is a British Army '39 Ford, RHD with hung wipers.

[​IMG]

21. Highly doubtfull to have had time to customize as us and Monty chased them across the continent

R A Wrench likes this.
  22. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My grandpa was in Africa under Rommel and he used to tell me his stories about being a "Oberschirrmeister", a soldier in about a rank of a sergeant that took care of a truck fleet. The German Wehrmacht did have Fords that were built in Köln, but I doubt they had the late model passenger cars like the 39 or 40 Ford . So this one has probably been "borrowed" from the guys on the other side and modified... Grandpa was a great storyteller and today I feel that was his way to get over what he had seen and experienced. I remember him telling me stories about him flying from Tripolis to Köln ( Cologne) for getting new Ford rear axles because they tended to rip off the axle shafts in the desert sand . He also said they had quite some headaches with overheating Ford V8s but he enjoyed working on and fixing them. A common problem used to be the drivers that couldn´t understand the firing order and came in with misfiring Ford trucks:D They didn´t have GMCs and Chevrolets to begin with but somehow they got ahold of some and he remembered them as more reliable in the desert because they where OHV and didn´t overheat as much and had better rear axles. I have an old album with many photos from his Africa trip which he gave me to always remember what a bad idea it is to go to war.

23. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Don't anyone kid themselves, Henry Ford was a business man and built vehicles for the Nazis as well as the Russians and Americans.

Heres a German V3000 that looks just like the American '40 Ford 1 ton
    Ford dutch luftwaffe.jpg
    He even sold the Russians the GAZ-AAA, which must definitely look familiar to some people...
    GazAAA - BZ-38-3 001l.jpg

These are all available as model kits if you're a glue sniffer. Building a GAZ myself...

Stogy, Surfcityrocker, Tman and 2 others like this.
  24. Yup, that V3000 looks a lot like a 41 Ford truck I have. :) Henry sold to whoever would buy.

Stogy and Surfcityrocker like this.
  25. benteight1956

benteight1956

Wow, and a Tudor

Stogy likes this.
  26. The first one has a sunroof as well.

Stogy likes this.
  27. GeeRam

GeeRam

Would love to see your Grandfather's DAK photos.

Stogy and Baumi like this.
  28. 1940rpu

1940rpu

On the first photo, what is mounted on the front fender between the headlight and the grille?

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. That's a german night driving light, called "Notek"- light.

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.