Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Where to install flathead thermostat?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by morepower, Dec 10, 2009.

1. morepower

morepower
    from northeast

My flathead build includes Navarro heads with cast-in top center water outlet necks. Where do the thermostats go when the configuration lacks an outlet "flange" as per other designs?

2. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

They make thermostats that go in the upper hose, between the head and the radiator. If you could live with the looks of it, that would be one option.

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

They go right at the water outlet on the head inside the hose. Just get stock pre-48 v8 thermostats

4. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

a small tractor thermostat will fit in the neck and can be held in place with another hose clamp.
    I think there were some part #'s on here if you search
    Bob

5. morepower

morepower
    from northeast

Who sells these?

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I believe you can get them from Macs. Go online and have them send you a catalog.

Frank

7. Flatman

Flatman

Mac's lists them as 11A-8575C for a 160 degree ans 11A-8575CHT for a 180 degree. $10 each.

Flatman

8. morepower

morepower
    from northeast

The Mac items appear to be for flange mount water outlets, not in-hose installation?

9. i might be missing something but the stock '48 and old flathead just had the thermostat sitting on top of the head castings (center neck). the hose was slightly tapered so the thermostat couldn't go up the hose, so it was sandwiched between the hose and the head.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Some aftermarket aluminum heads have very thick and eccentric outlet castings that cannot take a Ford stat without serious grinding. If it will go there, be sure you have good hoses with the ledge to retain the stat or add a hoseclamp...a thermostat tumbled and lodged up in the hose is not good! Model A people weld a thermostat of suitable diameter (and stainless flange) to a short length of tubing and push the assemblyt up into the pipe.

11. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I have found what Bruce mentioned; thermostat doesn't stay where I put it. The last thing that I did that has worked so far is slide a hose inside the radiator hose to hold the thermostat down against the head.

Take a Chevy thermostat and cut the flange down so that it fits inside the hose. In theory if you leave the flange large enough it should lock into the hose and not move around but that did not work for me.

I also had to do some minor grinding with a die grinder to get room for the thermostat to fit into the head.

Neal

12. BigMikeC

BigMikeC

It's a flathead... you don't need a thermostat, just a restriction. I use a washer with a 3/4 inch ID hole installed in the hose at the water neck on both heads. -Mike

13. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

The law of physics apply to Flatheads also, and an engine works better when hot,
    And thermostats is used to bring them up to running temp quick.

And newer all cars i know about have them installed, so if you could get away without them , they would not be there at the first place. Since car manufaturer save on everything.

This how i did it.

[​IMG]

I drilled a 3mm hold to let air out so the water wouldnt be trapped.
    [​IMG]

The thermostat is for an

PEUGEOT
    Model 206 1.1, 1.4, 1.6 8v, 1.6 16v
    Year 93-99
    88°C

The steel pipe keep them in place.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Ford went to thermostats in about 1933...there are other benefits, but an engine just putting down the street at town speeds really does not put out enough heat to maintain proper mechanical clearances and oil temp, and needs the help to stay hot.

joel likes this.
  15. morepower

morepower
    from northeast

Wow, terrific input from all of you, thank you very much. Mr. 42's photos much appreciated. Now I finally get it! My Navarro heads do indeed have rough eccentric center water outlets differing by .080" O.D. with 1.400" I.D. You'd think that by now the challenge of installing such a basic component would have been improved with some type of fixture or whatever.

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Use the thickness...notch to get the thing in, see if there is room for a couple of tiny scres into the thick part for positive retention.

17. Flatman

Flatman

Those part numbers are listed for '37-'48 flathead V8. They go in the hose over the head outlet.

Flatman

18. CheaterCarl

CheaterCarl

I had Navarro heads on my coupe, I drilled & tapped like a 8-32 hole in the thick flange of the head about 3/16" deep, then drilled a hole in the thermostat rim & screwed it down w/a stainless machine screw.
    I also did this on my roadster pick up w/Cyclone Heads, no problems ever.
    Cheatercarl

19. Great info..... was scratching my head about this today.

20. JohnnyD 71

JohnnyD 71

I am getting ready to install the thermostats (almost forgot them) in my Offy heads. Couldn’t I just use some high temp gasket seal and glue them down to the top of outlets?

21. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

The water pressure against them will push them up the hose.

22. rusty valley

rusty valley

i drilled a tiny hole on top of each side of the outlet on the head, then stainless wire to hold the thermostat down. some folks just put a small section of smaller hose inside the real hose too.

23. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are those t'stats in backwards? They look that way to me.

acme30 likes this.
  24. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

First time I put the thermostats in one of mine, they were chevy thermostats ground down in size to fit inside the hose. I was hoping that the hose would close down enough on the out side disk of the thermostat to hold it. It did not. Second time I slide a piece of hose inside the radiator hose to hold it. Worked for awhile but now the motor is running too cool again. Will have to take it apart and try something again. What happens is the thermostat will flip up sideways and the coolant bypasses the thermostat. A lot of coolant will pass through those thermostats.

I guess that is just the typical problem with flatheads, they run too cold. ;)

Added: I sure am repeating myself. I see I said the same thing 11 years ago in a post above. Sheeez.....

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    rusty valley likes this.
  25. Budget36

Budget36

Take some small SS wire, drill two opposite holes in the TStat, the two more in the inner hole. Wire the TStat to the inner hose nice and snug and slide it all back in

Might work?

26. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

You can also use a flat Ball food canning seal. Drill some holes in it and you are good to go. If you don't have anything for a thermostat or restrictor, it will run hot. You need to slow the water flow down.