Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Do We Outsmart Ourselves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Steve, Jan 10, 2021.

1. I worked at a car dealership in the 70's and can tell you that the cars I worked on from the late 60's early 70's were no joy to drive. Big Block in a Galaxy, Impala, Polara, (didn't matter) with drum brakes and 14 inch skinny tires could go like hell then not stop or turn when you got to the corner. Chrysler power steering (and others) was so over boosted you had trouble not weaving around like you were drunk. Cars got very heavy and big! I have driven many 40's and 50's cars with drum brakes and no power steering that were easier to control and more fun to drive around corners. If you add too much power to that equation you need to upgrade to something that can handle the added speed. Dual master cylinder, Hell Yea! Safety counts. The drum brakes on my 55 work just fine with the 250 or so horsepower I have but the control of a panic stop isn't like a new car. Stand on the brakes and you might get sideways as the tires lock up, it isn't broken, it's just the way it was 65 years ago and today. Get used to it and drive it like it is but drive it according to the cars capabilities.

2. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

I do agree, the only reason i kept my truck all stock, mostly,was that the parts were available , that and I was after the stock experience

3. That was exactly what I thought when I first read it and why I added this part.

Like most here I want my Cars to look good, and be Safe long before Fast. That means steering and stopping very well. Mine do without any upgrades in your face. My 51 gets a check mark in all 3 boxes.
    Smokin 51.JPG

tb33anda3rd likes this.