Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ever Heard of a "charging problem" that required pulling the engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by South Dakota Six, Jan 9, 2021.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

So that is what that picture floating around on FB is from.

Wrench97 and loudbang like this.
  2. 1ton

1ton

Beuller?........................................Beuller?

3. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I was once involved in designing an industrial boiler building. Every day the draftsperson would come by to ask why various pieces of equipment, stairways, hoist was, etc. were where I wanted them. Then it was explained to me that "that's hard to draw". Now I know why things are the way that they are, they are easy to draw.

4. CF5E20A8-4015-4FAA-A557-562ABD8E934D.jpeg

Here’s a nice pair!!

where the OP ?!?
    This thread is going to heck in a hand basket !

5. If you took your car to a dealer....they probably told your wife that.

Sandgroper, loudbang, jvo and 3 others like this.
  6. LOL I had a stock '54 F-100 that had a charging problem. I pulled the motor and slammed a better motor in it that was 12V. I didn't need to change the motor to swap in the 12v charging system but i had some time off coming and it seemed like a good time to upgrade more than the generator. :D

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It might be a good thing that the OP did not indicate a location.....only implied the State he is in.
    Were it any more specific there may have been a ‘delegation’ dispatched to do a ‘wellness check’.:D

Ray

8. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm... Perhaps the OP figured out you don't actually need to pull an engine to replace a fan belt after all, and is sheepishly hoping the thread will go away. :D:D:D

9. Budget36

Budget36

@ClarkH I was thinking a similar thing;)

10. chopped

chopped

Never let this thread die!!!

'51 Norm likes this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

Like the OPs alternator did? ;)

Sandgroper, VANDENPLAS and abe lugo like this.
  12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm never again clicking on a post originated by South Dakota
    Six.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think South Dakota Six should be banned :D

14. chevrolet50steve

chevrolet50steve

His charging and oil pressure warning lamp bulbs were in the wrong holes??

15. brilliant thought! gage wires crossed?

16. Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you guys. I did type the question just as my wife and I were leaving to take her to a gig - she has a band (actually, 2 bands) and I have earned to run the sound board. Well, we didn't get home until about 1:00 am...and I'm an old guy :(. Up for church early, nice nap, and now I'm back to it.
    Several of you were close and brading, our friend from the UK, got it right. The harmonic dampener has sheered the key so the crankshaft snout got chewed up from just spinning inside the dampener. The machine shop said there is no "in the car fix" for that and in fact said they wouldn't try to "fix" the crank at all. Fortunately I had a spare crankshaft in the corner so waiting to have it sized to install.
    I found that the alternator wasn't working properly but after having that fixed I still had nothing so I discovered the dampener issue while trouble shooting the wiring etc. "Hmmm the engine is running, shouldn't the alternator be turning - and the fan belt and the water pump!"
    Again, sorry it took so long to get back to you guys, but thanks for your input!

Tim, Sandgroper, alanp561 and 10 others like this.
  17. The '56 is our street/strip car that I have owned since 1974. It was originally a 235, 3 on the tree. I installed the 292 in the mid 1980's and it has continued to evolve to where it makes pretty decent power. It has flat top pistons (close to 11to1 compression), a lump port head by Sissell Automotive, a Crower cam, Edlebrock 4 barrel, and headers. I recently installed a Ford 9" with some deeper gears and haven't run it down the drag strip with that combo but it ran mid-13's at 100 mph with 4:56 gears in the original rear end (until I twisted off the second set of Moser axles). The '56 Eng.JPG IMG-1521.jpg IMG-1450.jpg

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Nice car!

verno30 likes this.
  19. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Beautiful car , I had a black one, 265 -2bbl 3on the tree with o/d , until I rolled it , in 1965

20. So, he does exist, has a car, and the problem was real. I almost posted here yesterday but after one of the threads by a missing person was closed I thought I better not. I seem to have a habit lately of getting in and the entire thread getting locked. Seems the Mods here all of a sudden don't like pictures of banjo players, tanks, or machine guns. So anyway Mr. South Dakota Six, glad to meet ya and better tell your wife what happened cause she really started a stir here. Nice car, unfortunate failure but you seem to have things well in hand.

21. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a fixture the late model guys use to drill an extra keyway in the crank for a supercharger with the engine in the car. The fixture locates on the crank snout threads and allows you to drill a hole directly in the middle of the parting line where the balancer touches the crank snout. Half the hole is in the crank, half the hole is in the balancer. Then, you drive in round key stock.

A picture could explain this much better, but I can't find one. But, if your crank snout is damaged, you might be out of luck.

-Abone.

Sandgroper, loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  22. Warhorseracing - so sorry to have created a stir. I have never been on a site like this (or pretty much any site) but was encouraged to do so by some gearhead friends. I do love playing with old cars and, as you might guess, really enjoy the old 6 cylinder engines. Have you seen the pictures of our '50 Chevy pickup that we drag race?

Tim, mad mikey, Sandgroper and 3 others like this.
  23. jaracer

jaracer

Had an old car dealer tell me that if you had an old car with low oil pressure and you wanted to run it through the auction, just swap the "gen" and "oil" lamps. No body cares if the gen light comes on at idle.

24. Six cylinders are harder on dampeners and flywheels than the bent 8 motors. The longer crankshaft has more harmonics to dampen out, especially when you spin them very hard. We loctite the heck out of the flywheel bolts and try to do the same with the dampener retainer bolt. It's something we have to watch. The machine shop has suggested adding a second keyway in the snout and perhaps going to a 1/2 inch bolt for retention so we can put some serious torque on it. That is the setup I have on our race 6 cylinder and it has run hard for 11 years without a problem.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've worked on a couple that lost the balancer entirely but never one that had it sit there and spin like that.
    Keep us posted on the progress with the 292 and how it runs after you get it all back together. I've got one that I am putting in my 48.

mad mikey, Sandgroper and loudbang like this.
  26. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

Not until you post some on here.

27. The whole site has been here at one time or the other.:D Two pages from a new member who obviously has some experience to express.:) No harm but stick around and impart some of your wisdom and there is plenty here to partake from also.:cool:

mad mikey and Sandgroper like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

Check his posts it HAS been posted on here and it is a RUNNER. :)

Nostrebor, ebs121781 and rbrewer like this.
  29. Jiminey Christmas!
    an alternator that’s not spinning isn’t a charging problem now is it?

That’s a nice car!!

Johnny Gee, Sandgroper and loudbang like this.