Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 38 Dodge Pickup Transmission mods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1938 Dodge, Jan 10, 2021.

1. 1938 Dodge

1938 Dodge
    from Biloxi MS

Good afternoon all,
    I have a 1938 Dodge RC pickup with a 25” flathead and have been researching the possible different transmissions which can work to fit our motors. the T5 is looking like the best fit but I have some questions that I can’t seem to find the answers to everything I read is about cars, my questions are
    1: there a difference between a car and a truck as far as the bell housing? If so what should I be looking for?
    2: should I only be looking for S-10 T5 for the location of the shifter, or does the shifter location matter in the truck?
    Thank you for the help and of anyone has any information on possible other transmissions for a pickup in all ears.

2. derbydad276

derbydad276

3. 1938 Dodge

1938 Dodge
    from Biloxi MS

Thanks derby,
    I have been all over that site and I can’t find anything that deals with pickups everything is about cars. which is fine if there is no difference. That is my question is there any difference or not between the cars and trucks.
    thanks again

4. gene-koning

gene-koning

1) Cars and trucks are different, and the more heavy duty the truck is, the more different they are. Most cars were 3 speed with the shifter on the column. Most trucks had floor shifted 4 speeds, but a few were 3 speeds with a column shift.

2) Shifter location restrictions will depend on if you have bucket seats, or a bench seat. The shifter location can be more forward or more towards the rear with bucket seats., unless of course you want it to be located in the same hole as your original Dodge truck.

3) If your installing a 5T trans, you probably will not be using the factory Dodge trans mounting, so what Dodge did probably won't make much difference. Originally, the 38 Dodge should have had a single front center motor mount and a pair of trans mounts, one on each side of the bell. Then the trans hung off the bell out back. Modern stuff has a motor mount on each side of the motor, and a single trans mount at the rear of the trans, not on either side of the bell. You are either going to have to add a cross member at the back of the trans (much easier), or you will have to create a way to mount the modern bell with mounts or both sides. I doubt the 5T will do well without the support at the rear of the trans. You will also need to do a driveshaft.

While your under your truck figuring out how to support the trans, take a tape measure with you under the truck, and measure from the back of the motor (where the bell bolts on), and measure where the shifter needs to be. Then measure the bell your going to use, and subtract that measurement from the length between the back of the motor and where the shifter needs to be, then buy a trans with the appropriate shifter location.

In my coupe, I'm using an AX15 5 speed from a Dakota (the shifter comes out of the top center of the tail shaft, just behind the main trans body), but I had to cut a hole in the floor because the car originally had a 3 on the tree. There would have been no shifter hole in the floor, but my floors were not original either, so it wasn't a big deal. I have a bench seat, a shifter at the rear of the tail shaft would have been against the seat. I'm not up on the 5T trans, but I suspect the S10 is probably about right, a Camaro trans would probably put the shifter too far back because their shifters were more between the bucket seats. Gene

5. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

There is a car and a truck side to the forum with plenty of info its just about a 100 x slower than the hamb.

6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

You'll also have to figure out how to mount an e brake/parking brake. The one on my '42 FARGO runs off the back of the trans.

7. 73RR

73RR