Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What’s the safest way to run a fuel tank in a Hot Rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordor Ron, Jan 5, 2021.

1. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Ron, this is what I run in my roadster, they are heavy steel and there is one on each side of the body. Just think how much fun it will be building them, you could start a new business. They could be made out of heavy aluminum also and a better designed set. 32 roadster 002-4.jpg 32 roadster 004-3.jpg

Fordor Ron and ramblin dan like this.
  2. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I put my gastank in the trunk area and built a 6 point roll bar supporting the seat back and also protecting the gas tank. The rollbar is invisible unless you open the trunk B8B55932-6C83-4E64-8D72-7EC2093459C3.jpeg

Fordor Ron, gnichols and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I went with a 48 to 52 ford pickup on my roadster. It's got a flat back that goes up against the back of the seat. I only had to relocate the gas neck a I didn't want to put a hole in the body. Added a few pictures of some other ideas for tanks I was looking at.

Attached Files:

Fordor Ron likes this.
  4. Funny thing I have had many pickups over the years with the fuel tank in the cab. I got an idea that while it sounds unsafe it is not that bad.

Lost of the fellas run a fuel cell in the trunk. I have seen a few deuces and model 40s over the years that had a fuel tank stood up like an in the cab truck tank under the tulip panel that seems to work real well too.

getting back to your original post yes they do make a foam filled fuel cell for roundy round cars. Those are made that way incase you turtle it.

ramblin dan and Fordor Ron like this.
  5. AHotRod

AHotRod

When I designed the chassis for my 30 Coupe I made the 11 gallon tank sit between the rear end housing and the rear cross frame ( 1"x3" rectangular steel .125 wall) and the side rails are 2"x3".
    IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0234 (2).JPG

Fordor Ron and gnichols like this.
  6. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I used an old style VW tank mounted in front of the rear cross member and axle. The flat flange makes it easy to mount and if your really worried you could build a cage around it. DSCN1176.JPG DSCN1182.JPG

Fordor Ron, AHotRod and gnichols like this.