Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Mickey Thompson 427 Ford Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BCMACHINE, Jan 10, 2021.

1. BCMACHINE

BCMACHINE

I was recently given the opportunity to inspect, and attempt to start this ultra rare and infamous light weight galaxie. Go easy on me, this is my first post. Im aware that there's tons of superstition and very little information about this engine and car, and I will share what I can, as it is part of a private collection. More or less, what we started with was knowing that this engine had been fired only once since fritz voight last freshened it in/about 1974. The car was given/purchased by Mickey from ford in 1963 and the hemi was installed in the car, until he got the thunderbolt the following year and the engine was removed to be installed in the new model. The galaxie was pushed to the wayside, with approximately 900 miles on the odometer. purchased from Mickey in 1968 the hunt was on for the hemi that once resided in the engine compartment. Once found, It was given to Fritz for a once over.....and here we are. We scoped absolutely EVERYTHING we could snake a camera into, and determined that before we try to start it, better be 100% sure we weren't going to damage anything and removed the engine and oil pan for further inspection. It would appear that the story is absolutely correct, and everything in the engine is new, and squeaky clean. we primed the engine on the engine stand, checked and adjusted a couple valves (Pain the the A$$) and carefully installed it back in its rightful place. Stabbed the seemingly brand new ronco magneto, and hit the button. The absolutely earth shattering roar from the headers still gives me goosebumps...Just too cool not to share. Will add photos when i get to the shop.

OahuEli, lemondana, brianf31 and 34 others like this.
  2. BCMACHINE

BCMACHINE

3. Hopefully someone will post a video of it running. It would make my day just to hear it. What a find!

OahuEli, IronFord, fauj and 14 others like this.
  4. BCMACHINE

BCMACHINE

We are working on a video! When its ready I will post the link!

5. BCMACHINE

BCMACHINE

deadbeat, Baumi, HEMI32 and 27 others like this.
  6. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty

That is a friggin awesome car in my opinion!!!!
    20 years ago I had a car just like it but mine was a 406 tripower 4spd car. Should have kept it!
    I know it is all about the engine on this car.......I love ‘em!

7. Fantastic! What a incredible piece of history.:cool:

8. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First thought that came to my mind was hearing it fire up also! That would be so cool!

Thor1, catdad49, winduptoy and 7 others like this.
  9. slowmotion

slowmotion

Holy......!

Can't wait to hear that beast!

Thor1, catdad49, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Wow! License plate???

11. ABout a hour 1/2 away from that place... LUV to come by and take a peak...

12. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Dyno room FU
    Epic Kool

Thor1, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  13. I always wondered if a person could install 392 Chrysler Hemi heads on a 390, the bore spacing is almost identical. My question has been answered. Nice job ... looks good ;)

OahuEli, deadbeat, Elcohaulic and 4 others like this.
  14. "About a hour 1/2 away from that place... LUV to come by and take a peak..."

Hell, I'm about 1/2 hr away from an airport in a different country and I'd love to come by and take a peak :D

OahuEli, deadbeat, quick85 and 11 others like this.
  15. BCMACHINE

BCMACHINE

these are one off mickey thompson heads, believe he only made 4 sets. although they do share an intake rocker and valve covers with the 392.

egads, Thor1, catdad49 and 9 others like this.
  16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I thought that might have been Fritz Voight.

deadbeat, Thor1, seb fontana and 10 others like this.
  17. Rob Johnson

Rob Johnson
    from Santa Ana

I was lucky enough to be there when this beast was lit off for the first time since the 70s. As someone that has owned 427 FE Fords this was an incredible opportunity and one I will never forget. NOTHING sounds better than one of these motors. I want to thank both Bill and Mark for giving me that call that day to witness the event.

As I told them on my way out "Thanks for the Hard On today"

deadbeat, brianf31, Budget36 and 17 others like this.
  18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

G,N.R.S.  Jan 26,2013 - Pomona 203 (Small).jpg Wow, history right there - Mickey Thompson still leaving his mark on the world - has Danny Thompson seen it? - found pic I have from NHRA Museum while at GNRS Jan 2013

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    HEMI32, Thor1, j-jock and 14 others like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I will never forget seeing this photo the first time.
    upload_2021-1-10_7-58-44.png

Fairly interesting engine so far…intriguing and creative, but nothing too outlandish, right? Now check this out: articulated three-piece pushrods. To make room for larger, straighter, greater-flowing intake passages, M/T took a radical step and split the pushrods into three segments that snaked around the ports.
    To help stabilize the wobbly-looking assembly, the lower segment’s ball end is captured in a cage that is brazed to the top of the roller lifter body. Meanwhile, the middle segment runs in a fitted bore in the cylinder head casting. The lifter bodies are linked to each other to prevent rotation on the cam lobes, and valve lash adjustment is handled by the threaded ball insert in the uppermost pushrod segment.

https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/mickey-thompsons-427-ford-hemi-v8-and-its-fascinating-secret/

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone who ever knew Fritz knows he was the one who made Mickey. Mick had his drawbacks but was one who helped make drag racing what it could become today along with many others.
    Judy, his first wife and Danny’s mother was also a major player in this. She is an “Angel of the Lord” and my wife her talk on the phone a lot.

deadbeat, Budget36, Thor1 and 7 others like this.
  21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Can't wait to see/hear the video! Must have been a pucker factor of 10 at start up.
    I'd have been so paranoid, I'd have pulled all the mains, rod caps and cam and recoated/reassembled them before ignition.

OahuEli, Elcohaulic, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  22. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! I'm frothing at the mouth, waiting for the video, thanks for sharing this.

Thor1, catdad49, winduptoy and 3 others like this.
  23. CalGasser

CalGasser

24. Yes, those are Fritz's initials

deadbeat, Thor1, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  25. BCMACHINE

BCMACHINE

car is no longer at my shop

26. Spooky

Spooky

Fantastic!! This engine is on the cover of the Mickey Thompson Performance Catalog from 1964 and is mentioned on pages 10 and 11 with different valve covers.

deadbeat, Thor1, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  27. saltracer219

saltracer219

Those roller lifters look to be modified Isky's

28. belair

belair

Thanks @DDDenny. Those push rods are mind blowing.

29. Talk about time capsule, just wow! That might be worth some paper money.

30. Wow...just...wow...

What's the future for the car? Hopefully it won't be hidden away.

Thor1, BCMACHINE, winduptoy and 3 others like this.