Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Updates on my 33 Plymouth PD Coupe Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dwollam, Apr 18, 2016.

1. dwollam

dwollam

Yes Vern, it is running! I actually made several laps around the property today. Wife took videos but they are huge! I will have to look into how to do a YouTube video I guess.

Dave

loudbang likes this.
  2. dwollam

dwollam

Okay, here is my first YouTube video attempt!

Dave

3. dwollam

dwollam

Hey it worked! Baling wire through the dash for a hand throttle and no brakes! And I threw in a tour of my collections for free.

Dave

Stogy, nosford, Rumblin Rolf and 5 others like this.
  4. Olskool13

Olskool13
    from Queens NY

dwollam and loudbang like this.
  5. noboD

noboD

Another perfectly good car ruined by a hot rodder. I'm going to have to report you. Oh, that's right it's a Plymouth. Never mind.

6. dwollam

dwollam

Doug, it is actually a DB frame! Well, 2 DB frames to be exact. Firewall back, '34 DB. Forward, '37 DB pickup. Aftermarket Model A crossmember, '38 DB front axle, '34 DB grill shell. Body was smashed in right rear quarter panel. Replaced that. Built from junk. '33 Plymouth PD body. I would never sacrifice a good complete car.
    Of course I know you are just giving me a bad time! Bonneville this year?

Dave

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  7. mtndone

mtndone

Dave, - looks great Congrats!

8. I stand corrected. Only one thing beats camping with the grandsons.

loudbang and dwollam like this.
  9. I know riding around the property put a smile on your face.
    It put a smile on my face just watching you!

Speaking of camping.... how many campers do you own?!?

loudbang and dwollam like this.
  10. Vernon2

Vernon2

hey Dave Looks good was watching for that 23 roadster but where is it

11. dwollam

dwollam

2 pickup campers and a Beaver motor coach. Wanna buy a camper?

Dave

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  12. dwollam

dwollam

It's on the right in the row by the highway Vern.

Dave

loudbang likes this.
  13. dwollam

dwollam

You guys ever just have "one of those days"? So after getting the car running and cruising around the yard it was time to put it back in the shop. I let the clutch out too quick and killed the engine. Went to start it back up and the solenoid clunked but starter didn't turn. Next day I pulled the starter and took it apart. The armature had come apart and jammed. Off I went around my place looking for something that might have a matching armature. Then, quite by accident, I stumbled upon the '53 Hemi starter I had from the first (cracked) engine. It was the one I had looked for to begin with. This current engine is a '52. You would think the starters would be the same huh? Nope. Maybe the barrel or whatever it is called and the brush plate are the same but everything else is a little different. Even the solenoid is different! The '53 had the end of the bolt hole ear missing so I was going the swap the snouts, but no. They are different lengths! So, tested the '53 as is. Worked fine. solenoid and armature worked as it should. Put it in the car and CLUNK! Didn't spin. Fiddled with it for a while and found if I turned ignition on and shorted across the 2 large terminals it would start. Solenoid bad I says! Fast forward to today. Pulled it out AGAIN. Tested and hardly spun. Pulled solenoid and adjusted and looked and screwed around with it and it tested good. This story is getting too long so in short, it is back in and works great now!

On to bigger and better things tomorrow!

Dave

Stogy, loudbang and j hansen like this.
  14. noboD

noboD

ALL Dodges are the same. ALL parts interchange.

dwollam, loudbang and j hansen like this.
  15. dwollam

dwollam

Right Doug!:rolleyes:

Dave

loudbang likes this.
  16. earlymopar

earlymopar

Looks and sounds great Dave! During the "tour", I kept checking your yard to see what had left and what you've added. Not many have a yard that large but even fewer have the yard art you have!

- Greg

Stogy, dwollam and loudbang like this.
  17. earlymopar

earlymopar

Oh, you also need to have your shop door open to see how many notice your "boat"....

oliver westlund, dwollam and loudbang like this.
  18. dwollam

dwollam

What boat Greg? Oh yeah, that one...

Dave

loudbang likes this.
  19. Vernon2

Vernon2

That would be cool

20. dwollam

dwollam

I posted a wanted ad but I thought I would ask here too. The steering box in my car is a GM/Saginaw 525 manual box which as it turns out is a 6.25 turn lock to lock and I think that is like 24 or 25 to 1 ratio. It is TOO slow! I am looking for a faster box, like 20-1 or 16-1 maybe. Suggestions or what do ya have? I have a second box and it is identical. :(
    Longer pitman arm maybe? That would speed it up a little. Any ideas there as to what else fits?

Dave

loudbang likes this.
  21. dwollam

dwollam

Week and a half ago I finally was able to have my neck fusion surgery! "DO NOTHING FOR A WEEK"! They said. 5 days later I couldn't stand it so I went to the shop and messed with the '33 Ply. Got the gas tank installed for the final time. Got the filler neck right, ground wire and gauge wire attached and ran a 3/8" Moroso fuel line through the frame and connected to the fuel pump. Holds gas and no leaks!

Also pulled the toe board and worked on the shift levers and rods. Finally decided I had probably done enough and called it a night. Wee hours of the morning I woke up in pain. Left shoulder killing me and my neck wasn't happy either. Follow up at the doctor yesterday, where he scolded me for doing that and said to stay out of the shop for 6 more weeks! Yeah right! Yesterday I had to shovel snow and ice off the concrete in front of the shop doors. Tried to be careful and it must have worked as I feel good today. I'll take it easy, but I know I won't make it to the 6 week thing without at least fiddling in the shop.

Not much to take pics of so none included today.

Dave

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    Jrs50, RMR&C and loudbang like this.
  22. noboD

noboD

David, I know I saw a Mrs. Wollam. She should whack you along side the head. take it easy you are getting OLD.

23. dwollam

dwollam

Doug, actually she has been helping me in the shop! Found our hot tub under old car parts so I ordered a new pump and stuff and we have been enjoying that every night. She picks up tools and sweeps and burns trash. No parts missing yet! Can't beat that!

Dave

Getting old? Heck, already there!

loudbang and juan motime like this.
  24. noboD

noboD

I would NEVER get away with that. I hate lectures.

dwollam, Jrs50 and loudbang like this.
  25. dwollam

dwollam

Been doing lots of work on the '33. Gas tank is final mounted. Did rear axle seals. Put in 1 new wheel stud as one was missing. Rear brakes are done with exception of a quick clean up cut on rear and front drums tomorrow morning. Did the front brakes tonight. All new shoes and cylinders etc. New hoses. Cleaned up all that stuff and painted them too! Bought some Nicopp brake lines, getting ready to run them next. Waiting on a Tee fitting to show up for the fronts. I was beat by the time I got done tonight so I'll try to remember to get some pics tomorrow. Wife helped me by holding the shoes in on the front brakes so I could get the springs installed. Chases tools too!

Been to 3 visits to physical therapy for my neck after surgery. He said he hoped to eventually get me up to a 65 degree turn of my head. Today he was nearly in shock when I easily turned 70 degrees each way! I credit all the twisting and turning one has to do when wrenching on these beasts!

Dave

Stogy, Hnstray, bostonhemi and 4 others like this.
  26. That reminds me of the man that was pulled over at 2 AM. The police officer asked him where he was headed at that time of night.
    The man replied, "I'm headed to hear a lecture on gambling, alcohol abuse, smoking, staying out late and the effects of all these on the human body "
    "Oh really," says the officer, "and just who is giving a lecture like that?"
    "That would be my wife."

27. dwollam

dwollam

Ok, guess I lied. Well, not really. I said I would TRY to get pics today. Sorry, Didn't happen. However, I did remove the pedal assembly and sand blast and paint it and reinstall. Did some minor bending up on brake lines and sorted fittings. Man, that Nicopp bends really easy! Pulled the left front backing plate back off and installed the soft plug on the bottom of the spindle that I forgot to put in yesterday. :( Son in law forgot to pick up the cutting tools for the brake lathe so that has to wait 'til tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow is supposed to be our last decent day for several days so hopefully I can get a few things done outside before you know what hits the fan.

Dave

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  28. dwollam

dwollam

Ok, here are some pics as promised! Think the old rear brakes were bad??

Dave
    20210309_121321.jpg 20210317_132121.jpg 20210317_132136.jpg 20210317_132212.jpg 20210317_132317.jpg

29. dwollam

dwollam

Got some more work done on the chassis. Also got the parking brake cable mount built and installed but no pic of that. Not much left to do before the body goes back on for the (hopefully) last time. Wood that goes between frame and body is screwed to the body now. Waiting for an 8" x 1/4" Nicopp brake line for the left front which is supposed to be in tomorrow, then I can bleed the brakes. Still plenty to do after that though!

Exhaust is all welded with the exception of the last 90 degree bends that exit under the tank. I will clamp those on so they can be removed if needed to drop the tank, should the need arise.

Also got rear shock mounts built and installed and new shocks ordered. No pics of those either. :(

Here are a few more pics.

Dave 20210327_121917.jpg 20210327_121936.jpg 20210327_121949.jpg 20210327_122004.jpg 20210327_122015.jpg 20210327_122032.jpg 20210327_122037.jpg

30. dwollam

dwollam

Got the brakes adjusted and bled today. Only a couple leaks where I hadn't tightened the fittings enough. Also got to fire it up for the 1st time with full exhaust. Man it sounds good! More bark than expected. I like it! Then I drug out the '54 4bbl intake and carb to start cleaning it up and going through the WCFB carb. It was kinda a mess and stuck shafts with a few parts missing. A few months ago I got the chance to pick up a huge box of late '40's to early '60s carbs of all sorts. Right on top was a WCFB.
    I was thinking parts for mine. Today as I was soaking the original carb, I started checking out this carb from the box. It had a tag still on it. 2041S. I looked that up online and the 1st thing that came up was 1954 Chrysler 331 Hemi! Exactly what mine is! I opened it up and found I could of probably thrown it on and ran it, it was dang nice inside. I went ahead and put it in the carb cleaner and it is what will go on my 331 now. Everything on it is the same as my 1st one. Already have a kit for it.

Sometimes a guy wins one!

Dave

Stogy, chryslerfan55, Hnstray and 4 others like this.