Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Y block and FE transmission swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62rebel, Dec 19, 2020.

1. 62rebel

62rebel

Got two 60 Ford Galaxies (one complete, one rolling chassis) one has a 292 Y block and the other has the FE. From what I've been told, the Y block has a 2sp fordomatic and the FE has the 3sp, and the bell housing is different between the two. I don't have the FE out on the ground to compare the two. I'd like to have the 3sp behind the 292 when I put it in the car. Possible? 20201122_144536.jpg

2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The Y block probably has a three speed transmission! If it’s a Fordamatic it is a three speed transmission! Plenty y tough enough for your 292!

Edit! I looked at your picture, thats not a Ford A matic. Disregard what I said.

Bones

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run a 62 medium CruiseOmatic from a T-Bird behind my 56 292 where a FordOMatic once was. A shop in Huntington Beach did it. I kept it a Green dot style. Was a little work combining both transmissions because I couldn’t find a 292 CruiseOmatic flex plate which were in the pickups in 64. It works great and I was able to put in a higher rear end. I chose an 8.8 with a 2.74. B965B966-7D30-41D7-87DC-FCF646B60208.jpeg

Boneyard51 likes this.

4. Actually, it is a Fordomatic.... Ford came out with an actual 2-speed unit in '59 that had a one-piece case and replaced the earlier 3-speed units. Limited to the smaller motors, it was gone by '65, being replaced with the C4.

warbird1 and Boneyard51 like this.
  5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You will need a Y block bellhousing and flywheel to use the 3 speed,I presume the 3 speed is also a automatic and yes the flywheel is different. 2 speed uses a 3 bolt converter and the 3 speed has a 4 bolt.

6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I knew it wasn’t the FordAMatic like the ‘55 version, that I was familiar with. I had one in my ‘55, my first car. A lot of people though it was a two speed, because it started out in second gear most of the time. If you wanted it to start out in first gear, you could put it on the floor or move the gear selector to “ low”. If you put it on the floor it would shift out at top rpm , if you put it in low, it would stay in low. It was also air cooled. For me it was a great transmission and tough too. Mine made it to near a 100,000 miles with no service! Then I pulled it out when I put a 430 Mel in it. I still have that transmission in a barn on the ranch!
    Just a little story on just how tuff.... Back in the early sixties a school bus locked up a rear wheel coming back from a ballgame and the driver just blocked the road. My Dad managed to get around the bus . Had all the kids get off the bus, hooked up that ‘55 and had as many high school boys get in that ‘55 as possible, including some on the trunk. That ‘55 with a 272 Ford a matic slid that bus and locked up rear wheel to the side of the road! That’s tough! I know today snowflakes would tout safety, but back then it was a different world. Just my experiences!

Bones

jimmy six and ffr1222k like this.
  7. 62rebel

62rebel

Woke up to the sound of rain and thought my day was shot; well, it was, but rain was only part of it. Figured out a process where I could use my engine hoist even on muddy ground. Worked pretty well for removing the seized FE. (More on this later). Didn't work out so well for getting the Y back in where the FE was. Rolled it over twice and sprung a leg. Luckily I had stripped the fragile parts off the Y before I took it off the chassis. You can make an FE pretty short; not so simple with a Y. Twelve hours. No choice; it had to get done today. Now: that FE. The previous owner was either taking the transmission out or putting it back, because they only have two bolts holding it on. Cooling lines were cut and had a loop of hose in place. Fun stuff. No emergency brake parts. Good thing I saved so much off the sedan.

8. 62rebel

62rebel

Short day (Christmas Day) outside since it's unseasonably cold for us; installed new engine mounts and replaced much of the accessories. Rounded up the loose parts to finish the install and boxed them up. Maybe it's going to be warmer tomorrow.

9. 62rebel

62rebel

Rounded up yet more loose parts; swapped around the good '60 rims for the crap the seller put on. Need to cut frame up and save the 9" and front suspension for spares. Managed to get the FE freed up more or less. I'll stick it back together and bag it. Another short day due to the cold temperatures.

10. 62rebel

62rebel

Built a new battery tray; reinstalled the hood lock assembly. Cleaned up the emergency brake pieces and the speedometer cable. Warmer today.

11. 62rebel

62rebel

Need a right hand version of the small finish trim and a driver side version of the roof trim.

Attached Files:

12. 62rebel

62rebel

Previous owner problems; there were supposed to be six bolts holding the transmission cross member in. Previous owner? Two. Luckily I have a spare set. Emergency brake? No front or rear cables. Again; luckily I have spares. And, I found my jar of hardware. Managed to misplace the half moon nut for the brake cable, though. I know I have it, I just can't find it.

13. 62rebel

62rebel

Correction: found the left side roof trim piece. Now I can't find the half moon nut that goes on the emergency brake cable. Know damn well I have it; just can't find it.