Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How Much Timing Do You Have ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jenkins Competition, Jan 7, 2021.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

38-32, by 2200-2400. All depends on the build.

Way too many variables to have a universal number.

mad mikey likes this.
  2. <<< 389" SBC, IK180 Brodix heads. 9.2 c/r, 264*-270* Comp roller, B&M 144, 4-5# boost on 87 octane, 750 Edelbrock, 460 HP - 590 TQ @ flywheel, 3:25 gear, 2700# car, 20 mpg.

15* Initial
    10* Mech
    10* Vac.
    All in at 2200.

The vac. advance pulls 10* out at full throttle.
    If I run premium I can turn it up to about 18* Initial.
    Tested at 1000 ft. elevation 70*.

I asked JV why such low timing numbers and he said if that's what it likes, run it. He also added that the more efficient the combination is the less timing it wants. OK! :cool:

3. Is this “38-42” ?

How many here are timing up to spark knock and backing off a degree or two ?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Montana1 likes this.
  4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I can't get away with more than 34 degrees total all in on my SBC in my Austin gasser, but it's about 10.7:1 CR. On the other hand my SBC in my '39 Chev can push 39-40 total and not ping with the 9.25:1 CR it has.

5. 6sally6

6sally6

36* @ with 1500-1800 RPM. SBF......High test fuel helps keep it safe. 9.5:1 CR. Windsor Jr. IRON heads.Manual transmission.
    AFR type "good" flowing heads(more effecient combustion chambers) require less.
    Use a timing tape....a STANDARD timing light.....insure TDC with a piston stop.
    After getting timing dialed in.......re-adjust carb.
    6sally6

6. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Heavily modified 406 limited street motor. 35-36 total at 2800rpm

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

So you spend a lot of money to build an engine and your too cheap to spend $300 to dyno it.

GlassThamesDoug and mad mikey like this.
  8. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty

Jenkins Competition has it right. All these numbers mean nothing. Even two “identical” engines will not need the exact same timing numbers. Push the timing until the engine complains then give it just a bit of slack. This is not rocket science by the numbers unless you’ve a dyno and know exactly how to use it. I don’t have one for my hot rod, do you? And I’m sure as hell not spending $300 to borrow one to set my timing.

9. A23

A23
    from Hollywood

Recently had my 427 SBC on a chassis dyno and picked up 30 hp by dialing back from 38 to 36.

Didn't expect that.

GlassThamesDoug and Montana1 like this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

There’s more to it for a person wanting all he/she can get. Say you have an out of the box distributor that allows 25 degrees advance. Say your engine likes 15 initial. Now you need to limit the stops. 40 most likely will be too much, right? So your other option is to lose off idle performance and dial initial back. But say you have all that sorted out, but something isn’t quite right yet, maybe you feel some lag in there, so you then use lighter springs to get to full advance sooner.
    What you are describing is just as most will do using an out of the box unit, kinda like those who know carbs real well (not me) who know that it’s not just a matter of changing jet sizes when tuning one.

Montana1 likes this.
  11. I was at a show one time where they had a free chassis dyno with your registration, so I went out and ran it first and just timed it by the seat of my pants where it felt good. Came back and made the pull, it was right where it needed to be on the first pass... ;)

12. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Profiling cams is an interesting thing to do because you get a much better perspective on engines.
    A dial indicator and a degree wheel and then taking the time to record every degree of lift and where the piston is in the cylinder at that same time helps you to understand more about timing an engine and just why it is important.

Measuring ramp speeds in degrees and how much dwell you have are all part of the puzzle of making one engine perform better than another engine.
    Knowing where the piston is in the cylinder when the intake and exhaust valves open and close is interesting stuff to learn which leads you to understand more about the valve overlap and how to make it work for certain engine combinations.
    Degree a cam is something that's very important to learn and use at the same time.
    A vacuum gauge is also a handy tool to use.

One other thing is keeping records for every cam you degree and writing everything down so that if someone questions you about something you can show them exactly what you did and why!

When you have a history of every degree of crankshaft rotation written out in front of you on a chart things make more sense.

Jimbo

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    lippy likes this.
  13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

LOL, your not spending the dyno money to just set the timing. I've had engines dyno'd and grabbed 60 hp and more for that 3oo bucks. And they ran correctly, made better mileage ect...I'm thinking thats cheap compared to buying a bunch of parts then putting it together and hoping it performs correctly. Lippy

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    mad mikey and Montana1 like this.
  14. This is a great feeling, isn’t it ?

Not to divert but,
    I filled out the lengthy AED form and submitted only to get back “You’re dead on the money, can’t help you” !

Montana1 likes this.
  15. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty

Lol......Lippy, you’re 100% correct
    Thanks for that.

16. What did you change for the 60 HP gain ?

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

???? He's right about what? He's the guy who started this post, and asked the question.

mad mikey and kevinrevin like this.
  18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Jenkins, Timing, plugs and jets. And I believe we changed valve lash settings. Solid roller in a 408 stroker Ford. Funny thing. We started at 32 degrees total in it and ended up at 29! That engine just did not like a bunch of timing. Took about six pulls. Lippy

mad mikey likes this.
  19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have a friend with a dyno, had a customer running a 350 with Vortec heads in a Stock Car, had been running 38 degrees for a season. On the dyno, they pulled the timing back to 32, and picked up 100 hp.

20. Marty Strode,

Me thinks there’s
    more to this
    story !

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The more efficient, too much advance hurts, not helps. a 292" Flathead we ran, responded to less timing, pulled it back from 25 to 23, and picked up 25 hp.

mad mikey and Elcohaulic like this.
  22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28-32°.

Got to stop drinking and posting!

One problem with the advance it until it pings, and then back off method is that preignition is underway before it becomes audible.

Our electronic sensors can "hear" it long before a Human ear can.

Budget36 likes this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

What fun would that be? ;)

mad mikey and gimpyshotrods like this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36

Jim Linder made some posts about this for Ford FH V8’s, I think in regards to doing an 8ba conversion to Chevy distributor. He pretty much said 20-22 BTDC was all they would need/want.
    Your dyno #s have proved it

25. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

What I'm trying to say I guess is. You can go by what someone says, but what's good for their combination might not even be close to what yours needs. And I do understand not everyone has or is willing to spend the money to dyno their engines. To me, it just seemed like a quick way to get the engine running correctly for your combination. And I do remember back when going to the dragstrip and making many, many passes to get the engine right. Though those were for maximum wide open performance. But that differs in a lot of ways to street performance. This is JMO. And you know what they say about opinions. I meant in no way to say anyone is wrong, just what has always worked for me. I have almost worn out drag engines before just getting them right. By then I was losing ring seal ect... then you freshen the engine again and start all over. A dyno with a good tuner running it is money well spent. Again, but hey thats hotrodding.JMO Lippy

mad mikey, Fordors and Montana1 like this.
  26. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

37* at 2300 RPM . I set my timing vac advance connected 37* at 2300 RPM and I have no idea where it falling to at idle , it falls where it falls .

27. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Around here , I wouldn't let the dyno guy , aka " blow it up chad" dyno my bicycle....besides , its more fun on a blacktop road with a Garmin...

Chicster and Norris McCarty like this.
  28. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty

I’m running 25 all in at 2200 on my 40 coupe with a 53 Merc with Chevy dizzy(best change I’ve ever made)
    Guess I need to lower it a couple of degrees, but all I have is a “butt” dyno! I’d love to pickup 25hp!
    I imagine even my old butt could feel 25hp!
    AB45DDFD-EA80-4FFF-89E2-0CF9D4DC843C.jpeg

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  29. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I try to get it within a couple seconds a day and the amplitude between 270 and 300 degrees. This one from 1911 IMG_20210110_084040149_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Norris I love your car! Lippy