Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Digging up the Gopher Motor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Jan 8, 2021.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Digging up the Gopher Motor

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    mvee33, enloe, jim snow and 27 others like this.
  2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Sounds like a hell of a cool visit. Be neat when you fire that thing off and see what it does.

Stogy, VANDENPLAS and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Great story and now i have a plan for building a header for the banger in my db roadster.

Stogy, Jungle Jalopy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. Cool place, cool story. Even cooler engine.

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. catdad49

catdad49

Man, what a scrapbook you are creating! Looks like the New Year is treating you pretty Good. Stay Well, Carp.

J.Ukrop, Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

Hey J,

That is the best story that I have read in a long time. What a great premise and follow through. That old nameless guy is just a classic. I am sure he has a ton of stories to go along with his stuff. We all know our own gopher stories and results over the years, even in the numerous, So Cal backyards and hills.

Thanks,

Jnaki
    Having grown up in a small house and a smaller Rumpus Room (recreation room) converted into a backyard garage, I can remember there was always some space to put additional stuff. We always picked up something along the way, in our wanderings in So Cal junk yards and exchanges with others. Those people had the same inclinations as we did as teenagers. Old hot rods...!!! and neat stuff !

J.Ukrop, Stogy, Jungle Jalopy and 2 others like this.
  7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Let's see, you have a four cylinder in the roadster and another four cylinder under the bench, so you have 8 cylinders and no need to look for another motor!

J.Ukrop, Nick32vic, winduptoy and 3 others like this.
  8. Neat story, interesting character.
    I can understand his quest for the perfect Pocket gopher trap. We're "blessed "with an abundance of them here in Oklahoma. Hate 'em.

9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

That was a most excellent adventure! Thank you for sharing it.

10. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Where's the video of him firing up the Model C four-banger!? :D
    Sounds like a well spent day.
    Can't wait to hear more about this guy.

J.Ukrop, Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those old fellows with that kind of history and breadth of interests are true gems. In my 66+ years, I've been fortunate enough to meet three of what I would consider "E's" peers. They seemed to be able to talk intelligently on most any subject, and were inquisitive enough to ask questions about those they can't, in order to deepen their knowledge base.

All three of the guys I knew have passed on, but I hope to meet more of their kind before I reach my expiration date.

RIP Joe, Duke and Jim.

J.Ukrop, Irish Mike, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  12. Great story, great find,
    These old guys saved all this stuff way. Back when it was junk, now it’s not and because of them now YOU have it !!!

there’s stories of a guy by my parents cottage who has hoards of old fords and cars from the teens and 20’s a few years ago me and my brother went on a quest to find this farm, we did !! Didn’t go on the property or snoop to much but from the road there where stacks of frames body part and other stuff piled somewhat neatly all around the barn and out builds, gets me thinking if this is what’s outside what’s in the building !!
    Legend has it the kids are waiting for mom and dad to go to that big hot rod garage in the sky and liquidate, lands worth a big bunch to developers now up there,
    I’m waiting patiently waiting to see what happens, or maybe when this COVID crap is done pull down the driveway with a Tim hortons coffee and wave a hamb flag !

J.Ukrop, alanp561, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  13. Like - great read ! I also have a rebuilt one as well from a Model A restorers Estate - from his engine stand to mine....always wonder how it will run but don't need it as yet as my Cabriolet is still banging along.

J.Ukrop, Stogy and Jungle Jalopy like this.
  14. badshifter

badshifter

Outstanding, all of it!

15. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

J.Ukrop, Moondog13, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  16. bchctybob

bchctybob

Great story Joey. I totally agree that chasing after parts, needed or not is at least a third of the fun in this hot rod adventure, the build and the driving being the other two. My wife and I have met some great folks answering ads far and wide. I just love a good parts chasing road trip.

17. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Sounds like a fun adventure. It’s PRICEless to connect on that level with old timers like you did. Good for you, man. I guess the kids are alright! (P.s. I got my B Banger the same way on the Big Island. Came looking for one thing, left with an entirely different , waaay heavier item....and more. The engine lived in my daily driver Econoline for MONTHS until an old hot rodder at the surf spot convinced me the rotten ropes holding it down were NOT going to keep it from crushing me in an accident. Good advice. Love those ‘ole timers. Haha)

J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not to hijack the Thread but there was a way old Fella I would think he may be possibly moved on in the Arthur/Fergus region that had tons of Model As...His name was Harold Ford...I bought a Coupe Door off him...sometimes it's a small world...

J.Ukrop likes this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@J.Ukrop...what a blast eh!...you're on a journey like no other...that place I mentioned to Van was not as museum like but the Model As were everywhere and a caned limping Man Named Harold Ford wowed me with his collection of them...and I got a door to assist my chop...

You know it's funny some of these guys hate rodders so we have to be careful...you brought on a smile so ya done good...Man! that trap just behind E sure ain't for gophers...:eek:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    J.Ukrop likes this.
  20. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for sharing your adventure. Its the People a person meets while looking for parts and pieces that give enjoyment not only to Hot Rodding but to collecting treasures.

J.Ukrop and guthriesmith like this.
  21. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bangers are bitchin' and you can't have too many of them. @johnneilson says that a drug habit is easier to quit.
    The Cletrac crawler made my tongue stiff.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  22. What a great story!
    “E”’s mindboggling collection(s) takes the prize.
    That little dozer is the tits and is on my want list.
    Thanks for sharing!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  23. Good write up....

J.Ukrop and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. Good Score! Getting into a private collection like that is always well worth the price of admission...

J.Ukrop and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. belair

belair

Cool story.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great story and really nice collection. You made a really cool friend J, stay in touch with him!
    Sad to think how quickly we're losing this generation of ol time collectors.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  27. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

My late grandfather was also a trap collector. Had hundreds of different types in a huge basement. Some of these bear traps net thousands of dollars.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  28. Know what I think Joey? I think TRJ hired the exact right guy.
    Congrats on the motor but this is how it works. You have an extra engine so the most logical thing to do is keep collecting old Ford stuff and maybe build a speedster or a lakes modified.

Nick32vic, 48fordnut, 5window and 2 others like this.
  29. Thanks for sharing the story! I love visiting with folks like E and that is alot of what I have come to enjoy about this hobby...the folks we meet along the way.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  30. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Now thats just plain cool! :cool:

J.Ukrop likes this.