Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Classifieds Situation: Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by quick85, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Stonebird

Stonebird

We have family still waiting for cards sent via usps over 2 weeks ago. They are probably still catching up from Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

So right now you still have your parts and no money. So best bet is to relist the item(s) base on your original ad at the same site (H.A.M.B.). Relist the ad three times on different days of the week. After three days of ad posting you are free to resale at any price. If the person does give you a call just sell the items at the agreed price but with a time limit. This is the price that you pay, when selling or buying on-line.

quick85 likes this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I have one hard fast rule! Money in my bank before I ship. Period! I do not accept Postal money orders or cashiers checks! PayPal or cash! I bought a set of vavle covers Nov30, 2020. The guy actually shipped them before I paid him! He showed me the tracking number from the Post office! I paid him , I just got my covers last week! Had a known customer send me a check in the mail from a town about 50 miles away! Still haven’t seen that letter!
    To me, the deal or obligation is off as soon as a guy quits communicating ! I heard all kinds of excuses, but if the guy has so many problems that he can’t send me an e-mail..... then he doesn’t need my part anyway. He has all he can take care of at that point! Business is business! Just my experiences!

Bones

quick85 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. I got a camshaft from @olscrounger a while back, he wanted a postal money order so that's what i sent. He asked me about it a couple of times and i promised it was sent. Long story short, i ended up sending him the money via PayPal. Then a few days later he messaged me that he recieved the money order, dated by the post office, but it had been over a month since i sent it. He refunded my PayPal. The postal service made me look like a liar lol.

quick85, Boneyard51 and Budget36 like this.
  5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ This was a mess--he sent the funds-lost in the mail for over a month. He paid via paypal as stated then the money showed up. I refunded as stated.

6. Budget36

Budget36

I think some are missing a point here.

I may be wrong, but I think in the OP's first post, he was getting an USPO MO? So, if I'm correct, the buyer would have taken the time to go to the PO and purchase the MO. Then, if anything else, for less tan 1.50$, he'd had a envelope and stamp on it, and dropped it in the slot.

Now, if as I say above is correct, and I sent a MO to "you"..and "you" said it's not here. I'd go back to the PO and see what the status of the MO was. Heck, I made the effort for one trip, I'd certainly would make an effort to find out where my $$ were at.

The lack of silence from the buyer is the clue, from reading the OP's replies-and assuming they are correct-the buyer stopped contact.

What conclusion can you gleen from this? Seems simple to me.

quick85 and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. grumpy65

grumpy65

^^^ Yeah, Pretty much what I said in post #24.
    If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, smells like a duck, and shits like a duck, it is most likely a duck !!!!
    For whatever reason, the buyer never sent a money order. (If he would like to reply and prove me wrong, I will happily retract and apologise.) If he had, he would have chased it up by now. Wouldn't all of you have ????? :confused::confused::confused:

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Buyer may have changed his mind and never told you.
    Maybe he found another seller at a cheaper price.

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Lloyd and olscrounger , you both are honorable men . That is the way it should always be .​

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    alanp561, quick85, clem and 1 other person like this.
  10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

For all you know he could be laying face down on the carpet... give a reasonable time to come through and move on. If he comes back later, at least you can say you gave ample time for him to follow through.

quick85 and XXL__ like this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems like who ever made the deal with the OP would be squawking wanting to know where their stuff is by now. He also sent me the tracking number when he mailed it.

When I bought my T 5 adapter from Dwight Bond he only took Postal Money orders. Said he cashed them when he mailed the adapter and indeed he did both. Just about the fastest turn around on anything I have ordered by mail.

You can check on a postal money order that you sent here Money Orders | USPS

If you haven't got USPS informed delivery it is pretty handy to use to see what you should be expecting in the mail. Some times that helps me get my ass out of the chair and walk the 400 ft to the mailbox when I am expecting something.

A priority mail envelope with a tracking number doesn't seem that spendy if you are sending a large sum of money in the mail. A few bucks but it saves guessing.

quick85 likes this.
  12. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Relist it in my opinion. You've done what you can.

quick85 likes this.
  13. 41woodie

41woodie

Since mid November the Post Office has been an even bigger failure than it usually is. Yesterday I received an item that was postmarked December 13th. Talking among friends and family the worst of it seems to be items coming through the Chicago and Indianapolis centers. Maybe a little more patience but would certainly understand if you want to move on

quick85 likes this.
  14. Lionheart

Lionheart

Most all buyers and sellers i've dealt with here have been excellent to deal with
    Only a Couple jerks here have yanked my chain, for NO reason at all that I know of.
    Anyway, this one jerk did Exactly the same thing to me, that the OP had happen to him.
    ( quick85 ) Was this person from the Golden Colorado area ???
    The HAMB member that pulled this Identcal stunt with me, has
    been a member here since 2010, and only has 8 posts.. He talked
    to me on the phone and had me box up my items to get a shipping
    quote, then said he was sending payment. Then quit answering the
    phone, would Not reply to my PM's, yet he was on the HAMB a few
    times a week. This WACKO even owns his own business. Go Figure ?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    quick85 likes this.
  15. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

The postal system was hit by manpower shortages due to covid, and Christmas overload. I had several items ordered that took weeks to finally arrive. Went to the post office for tracking info and they basically couldn't tell me where it was. To their credit, when it did show up, they let me know.
    For me, the best luck has been PayPal and pay the fee. They have saved my a** on two major purchases ($2000 & $2700) issueing refunds both times. Don't scam them with "Friends & Family" transactions and then complain because you got scammed in the process. Trying to get major refunds thru the Post Office is something I don't want to deal with.....especially if the Postal Money Order turns out to be counterfeit. Had a friend who sold an expensive dirt bike. Guy showed up driving an Escalade with a trailer behind it. Had a Certified Bank check in his hand. The catch was it was Friday evening just after the banks had closed. These days, even if they have cash, it might not be real. So far, I have nothing but praise for my dealings with PayPal.
    The question I have is........Is it possible for someone to "steal" a Hamb address and pretend they are that person? The reason I ask that is because all these telemarketers steal people's names and phone numbers and use them to call people. I had a guy call my cell and say he was returning my call. I told him I had not called him. He got a little perturbed and said his phone had dialed the number that called him. I assured him that some telemarketer must have stolen my name/number and made the call. I then explained that I was laying in a hospital bed and only answered because my wife had the phone in her purse. I have a home phone that displays the callers I'd on my TV when the phone rings. One time it displayed my own name and number.Pretty creative way for a telemarketer to make someone curious enough to answer.They have a million ways to scam you in this electronic age,........;)

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I had that happen just the other day! A guy on another forum wanted some FE exhaust manifolds dated a certain date, after he got no response, I told him I would go to the ranch and look at the set I had! So I drove twenty miles one way took a couple of hours and found out they were the right date! We agreed on a price then I asked him for a shipping adress and gave him my PayPal address...... silience ! Then a day later he asked me to sent pictures again .... somehow my dates wouldn’t work the second time I sent the same pics! Hellva deal! So he says he can’t use them! Then he posts on his ad that he found some! Pissed me off! Not that he didn’t buy mine, but that he thought I was so stupid I couldn’t see what he did!
    He didn’t have the balls to tell me he found a set cheaper!

Bones

quick85, ekimneirbo and alanp561 like this.
  17. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FWIW, I bought an item from a fellow HAMBer in Minnesota before Christmas. He got paid, sent the part and sent me the USPS tracking number. I tracked that package for the four moves it made from one distribution center to another, still another and still another in Minnesota, then three more days to bypass me and go 160 miles to Atlanta, two more days while it bypassed me again and went to Nashville, 155 miles north of me, back to Chattanooga 30 miles from me, back to Nashville, back to Chattanooga and finally to Cleveland, TN on Friday where the tracker system said it was out for delivery but it sat at the post office over the weekend. I finally got it the following Monday.

18. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

have been buying parts for my altered. if the seller takes paypal, i send it, but i send them a ups label that delivers to me at work. if the seller wants cash, i ups it along with the ups label back to me. the seller has no work other to collect money and box the part and slap the ups label on it.
    at least i can track it back to me.

quick85 likes this.
  19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Me too, this December on a set of Factory Chrome FE valve covers coming from Michigan! 30+ days and was in Mississippi for a while! Crazy...... but I got em, after I called our local post office and complained! Then miraculously the covers started moving again! Go figure! I got them this year Lol

Bones

alanp561 and quick85 like this.
  20. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

It seems I struck a nerve here but I appreciate your thoughts and comments.
    As I wrote earlier, I've been very fortunate with my small sales and buys. Not
    a single problem for me.

I've wanted to give the potential buyer the benefit of the doubt, not wanting
    to bug him and wanting to keep him in the loop. Many of you think that giving
    this fellow a break and being patient is the thing to do. I agree and intend to
    still give it a couple of weeks before reposting. Tracking expected deliveries
    in the past has had me yelling at my computer at times, seeing the goofy
    routes that these packages have taken to get here. Also, for those of you who wondered, the "buyer" is in California and before he contacted me
    I've never seen his name on the H.A.M.B.

Again, I say thanks to you guys.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

There's a lot of good info here, and lots of good stories. But it really comes down to not being in communication with you anymore. If the buyer has been on the forum here, then he's likely seen your messages to him, and has decided to not respond. I wont guess why he's decided to do so, but I'd send him one more message saying I was sorry he didn't want the item, and I was going to relist it in 24 hrs. If he doesn't respond, then simply relist it and move on.