Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Unique interior trim pieces

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Ardinger, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

So I’m looking for some unique Ford interior trim to cover a F up on my newly covered model A door panels. I’ve done some searching and there’s not much in the way of the door panel trim right up until the 60s. Just some thing about 3 inches long would suffice. Something ornamental. Otherwise I may have to make some thing and that might be a disaster!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Take a pic and show us what you dealing with.

what about some chrome belt line moulding
    Or something like that ?

3. fordflambe

fordflambe

4. I found these. images-1.jpeg images-2.jpeg

chevy57dude likes this.

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Go to a Dollor Store and look around,there may be something that can be used as trim,like a woman's belt ect.
    Cut an glue ,screw,or tab button to door panel over spot.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. dwollam

dwollam

How about a Model A radiator "Ford" oval? 1 on each door. Long enough to cover the boo boo?

Dave

Just Gary likes this.
  7. I suspect the biggest issue will be finding something that doesn't have a long stud on it for attachment that will hit the inner door structure. Most door panel trim used sharp 'prongs' that went through a hole and were then folded over. A lot of these you find now have the prongs broke off... :(

Ford (as well as others) used stainless door panel trim on their 'upper' models starting in the '40s through the early '60s, so there's a lot to choose from. I'll note that British cars kept this type trim into the '80s. Not much is being reproduced however so finding a specific bit may not be easy. I don't see anything glue-on as working particularly well. Exterior stainless could be used also, but will need more imagination to install.

Worst case if using stainless, you could silver-solder something to the back of a stainless piece that you could get a small wire around and wire it to the panel.

8. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Join the HAMB alliance and put your brass tag there:cool:

Kevin Ardinger likes this.
  9. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Actually the boo boo is that the door panels are bowed just under the garnish molding. These doors are not flat by any means so the panel is kind of puckered out at the top. Need something old and unique to nail it down. Panels are luan board.

10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Put some relief cuts in the panel so it lays flat. Tuck the material under the molding.

34 GAZ and Kevin Ardinger like this.
  11. Drawer puller. Antique finish, chrome finish or colour of garnish trim.
    drawer puller.jpg

12. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

A few ideas for ya image.jpg

Just Gary and Kevin Ardinger like this.
  13. Sounds to me that you just need to make a retainer flange to pull the top edge in and mount under the garnish molding. Make it out of sheet metal and paint to match the molding or upholstery. Only needs to be about 1/4" over the edge to hold it in place. Everything pictured above would need to be fastened through the panel and to the door. How ya gonna do that with the door panel on the door?

14. didn't some models of model A [four door?] have a separate trim piece that was trapped under the garnish moulding to do just that?

15. I've seen it somewhere, maybe on the Murry Body being it's been 30+ years since I've been around one of them.

16. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Yeah I thought about exactly that. I actually made some sheet metal pieces that I was going to attach to the garnish molding and then powder coat all of it to match. Problem is it looks like it’s added on. Also, the door panel is kind of bland being just straight black fake leather vinyl. Something to dress it up might be nice.

17. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

You know, I saw a video of a guy with a 32 coupe and it had a garnish molding that looked like that. Like there was another piece under the garnish molding holding the door panel.

18. If it's that basic, why not just make it again? You could end up spending more time and money on a band aid.

19. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I planned on a bout three of these stars in my door panels from a 58’ Pontiac IMG_1120.JPG

Kevin Ardinger and fauj like this.