Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Your thoughts on buying rotted A roadster hot rod.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VintageOriginal, Jan 7, 2021.

1. fortynut

fortynut

I know it's a pile of rusty metal that would beat you up and take your wallet. What the hell. BUT, there are some on here who could take it an fly with it, and we'd be gobsmacked and all over ourselves with congratulations on how well they did, and what geniuses they were. But, Hoodlums tend to stick together and I'm just telling you that there are levels of awareness that depend on what's out there, what a person already has and what they're willing to put themselves through to learn something, or to add something to their experience, or collection of potential Mount Everest's or K2's they have surmounted after the kind of assault that requires an almost supernatural effort. All the things we do in life are not like making sausage. Some of the things we go after are simply to have something we can test our skills against. However, this I will say: the older I get, the harder it is to get my blood up over anything that requires me beating my head against the wall over. Not that I want to buy a finished project, it's just that the deals that make sense are those that require less triage and more finesse. That's because I pretty much used up all the zap in my magic wand over the years. But, I am also a different year man than the one shown, as you might expect.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    ClarkH, 49ratfink, VANDENPLAS and 3 others like this.
  2. If you have the space, and the time, and the skillset, and you can rationalize that all that is "free", $1800 isn't going to change your lifestyle one way or the other. Even if you decide to throw in the towel after a year or so, whatever you can recoup from the pile against what you paid is your risk.
    Just don't risk your spousal relationship and other time obligations and any cash that may be needed elsewhere. If you're going to have fun with the task, well, that has a payback that's hard to put a price on. You read the comments and you have your eyes open so makes your choice.

3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Only IF you can get it for less than $1000, are an expert at welding/working sheet metal and love doing the work. Even at that, what's your time worth?
    The reality is that it was once a pretty cool Rod, but it's pretty much near beyond saving, when you consider how many hours would be needed to make that pile of very rusty parts into a car.
    $1800 would get you a pair of 28/9 Brookville quarters as a starting point to a Roadster...

Cosmo49 and VintageOriginal like this.
  4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

The lack of subrails would be a deal breaker for me... sounds like he just fishing and hoping for a bite... wanting to hook a shark with a top water jitterbug.

osage orange and VintageOriginal like this.
  5. 3/8 oz. Jitterbug , best lure ever!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

6. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

Looks like expensive yard art.

VintageOriginal and Happydaze like this.
  7. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I would offer $250.00 dollars for it and if he or she starts crying tell them it would of been 1,800.00 if they had remove it from Mother Nature's elements. If they think that it is worth so much, why didn't they take care of it, instead they just let it rot.

VANDENPLAS and VintageOriginal like this.
  8. adam401

adam401

If everything pictured is included and it was within a days round trip drive I would have no problem buying that for 16-1800.00. Theres alot there. As far as just the body goes, if your welding the bottom 2 inches or 8 inches back on what does it matter. I could part all that out and profit but Id build it. All my hot rods started as less

I get where everyones coming from though.

redoxide, tb33anda3rd, ClarkH and 5 others like this.
  9. When you say no ownership do you mean no title?

If the car is in New York State it won't have a title. (Assuming based O.P.s home town) No titles here until 1973.

New York State does not issue titles for pre 1973 cars

When you register a pre 1973 car with an out of state of title in New York the you surrender the out of state title and receive a New York State registration.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

something that would be found in the "Sitting and Rotting.....Picture Thread"

11. To me the body would be a great start for a track roadster (race car not a street car)

I would look at it as what are the parts worth?

-Model A frame
    -Juice brakes with drums
    - Front and rear axles
    -Split bones
    -35 Wire wheels
    -52 up Ford swing pedals
    - Hood, grill, radiator
    -Replacement quarter panels

12. Someone else mentioned the site this is advertised on so I found the details.

"1929 Ford roadster old hot rod body from back in the day. 1949-50 Ford dash. Doors are welded closed, trunk lid opens, was channeled and sub floor removed, I have it still. Holes for roll Bar in front of deck lid, snaps for cockpit cover, hanging peddle assembly from something 50s. Bunch of patch panels. 1/4s are 2nds and one has a tear and the other has small imperfection. Good model A frame, rad, rad shell, full hood, front axle and springs. 1936 split wishbone, f1 front end for spindles and juice brakes. 1940 Ford truck banjo rear axle, 1935 16” wire wheels, big headlights not sure of the make, extra cowl and really nice fire wall and headlight mounts. Also have set of black low back seats".

I'd be interested to see how many of the parts included are actually useable. If the wire wheels and truck banjo were stored on the ground, in the same shed, for the same amount of time ... I'd bet they are junk.

To RJP, in Canada we have 'ownership' papers for everything pretty much regardless of the age (meaning I am unaware of any motor vehicle of any year not having one) ... I do know for a fact that this car should have one with it but apparently doesn't.

To the OP ... I think it has some value to someone wanting a project to tinker with but NOT at anywhere near the price he is asking. You mention you have other projects on the go ... I'd say focus on them and forget this mess. For $500 Canadian $ I'd be tempted to go look at it. At the price he is asking ... nope, nuh uh, not happening :)

13. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I would say that there are $1000 worth of parts in that pile

14. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I agree too expensive. Dash looks cool in there tho, never seen a 49-50 shoebox dash in one like that. That's what it is, no? I'm pretty green. I come here to learn stuff, not know stuff....

15. Berkeley Power Bait/grubs. Responsible for more fish dinners than Long John Silvers and Arthur Treachers combined. ;)

Gangrene and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

The only plus I can see, is that it is an early frame, you can see the front solid mount has been cut off. If it has a real early serial number it MIGHT be worth something to someone. Don't let your heart overcome your head and walk away from this pile of parts. I guarantee, if you do purchase it, you will ask yourself every day "what the heck did I do" and it will never get done.

17. The OP said he has a title, that adds at least a grand to that crusty pile. Factor that in and it is a game changer. Sure, there is a lot of work to be done on that car but most A's need those same patch panels anyway.

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

It's one of those cars that if it was given to me for free I'm unsure I'd save it, or build it? It's a donor car for another you might be better off building, vs. a project to build from.
    In hindsight if you go for it, you'll likely look back and ask yourself why you didn't start with a better car.

19. Squablow

Squablow

OP says it doesn't have a title with it. He says he has a title he could use, but there is not one included with the car.

I still think it's worth saving/building, I just think the price is too high.

20. Yes, he has papers, that helps in the buying decision. I think some good haggling could make this much more tempting unless the seller has watched too many car shows and auctions.

VintageOriginal likes this.
  21. chopo

chopo

Gangrene and Tman like this.
  22. I have a pretty nice 28 closed cab pickup with doors that are ok. almost 20 years ago when I got a title for it I valued that addition alone at a grand. In todays climate and red tape I would say that number is conservative depending on where you live

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  23. adam401

adam401

Is this on the USA side in New York? If the OP isnt persuing this PM me please.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  24. VintageOriginal

VintageOriginal

Canadian side

25. Ziggster

Ziggster

Last time I checked, NY is on the right side of USA. Haha!
    From what I’ve seen in the past here on kijiji that is typical asking price in Ontario. What people sell it for is another story. Most folks always think their pile of rusty parts are all that and a bag of chips.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  26. VintageOriginal

VintageOriginal

True. They’re offered less often for sale. And even trying to ship across provinces is more than our US friends could imagine.

27. adam401

adam401

Ok thanks. I for some reason was a little confused like maybe it was on the border but this side. With covid I can't get there so thats that

stanlow69 and VintageOriginal like this.
  28. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

someone show me what $1800.00 worth of Model A Roadster looks like.

Atwater Mike and stanlow69 like this.
  30. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really, you guys would dismiss this out of hand? To me it's entirely a function of the skill and desire of the buyer. Yes, it's rough as hell, and I personally wouldn't take it on. But I think there are plenty of guys who would.

Seems like the deck lid is always missing from these old piles, yet this still has it. Extra quarters with fresh patch panels to boot. Cowl and doors appear savable. Dash, hood, shell, rad, stanchions, frame and components.

A young ambitious guy with skills could make something out of this. Oh, I know, "start with the best you can afford." Well, maybe for some, this is the best they can afford. I've seen worse saved right here on this forum.

Come on, are we builders or are we just devolving into buyers now?