Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 33/ 34 3W Cowl/ Winshield/ Roof Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by SeabeeChuck, Jan 7, 2021.

1. SeabeeChuck

SeabeeChuck

Hey guys,

Have a question.

I had to cut the whole front of my 34 3W off because of rust and severe damage. (Old race car from up north). I have a Sedan cowl/ window panel, and part of the roof to the start of the roof opening. Is the metal/ roof above the windshield of the sedan the same curvature and size as the 3W. I only ask because I have seen multiple build threads where it looks like the grafted cowl section was purposely cut about halfway up the windshield pillar and the original roof section above the windshield was left from the original car. Also when I compare pictures of 3W and sedans, it appears that the metal of the 3W has a smoother transition from the top corner of the windshield to the start of the hole in the roof, where the sedan is appears to be more squared. Am I just seeing things or is there a difference?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Chuck

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

what no comparison pix...

3. Coleman8

Coleman8
    from UK

Hi Sloppy Jalopies, I'd like to contact you about something you have for sale, but I have "insufficient privileges" - perhaps you could send me a private message and then I can reply?

sloppy jalopies likes this.
  4. millersgarage

millersgarage

I do not believe they are any different.
    When you look up windshield frames, there are 3-roadster, cabrio, and closed car.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Windshield area is the same, but from there on back it might curve more. The sedan roof is a lot flatter than the 3 window over the door. If you can keep your swap to the immediate front I bet you could make it work well.

6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

PM sent 9ish AM...
    The sedan rooves do rise faster,
    creates more headroom in the sedans [long/ 4 doors]
    3 window used long doors but i am not that familiar with the rooves ? ......
    i have used fordor doors on 5 window bodies... the B "jam" has to be chopped about 5/8" or so to fit the coupe... memory says i also tweeked the front upper corner ?
    barely related but the section of '35-'36 truck roof between/ above the w/s hinges will repair the '33-'34 closed cars...
    even used the same hinges...
    i have a small "shape comparitor" sp? ... lots of thin blades that fit fairly tight so that you can press this against your curve, clamp / squeeze it while you trace it to paper then carefully cut the comparitor's shape to the cardboard template...
    now you can take it to a fellows rodder's garage to compare...
    you must use 2 location points, that will line up on both bodies...ex. 2" from the closest welded hinge nut... using both nut holes as locators...

grimmer likes this.
  7. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Chuck, what alchemy said is correct, when you get above the windshield they are different. With some reworking of the panel you can make it work though especially if you are chopping your top. there is more Crown in the 3 window roofs than the sedan. If you only have to go mid door forward with some reshaping you should be fine.

grimmer likes this.
  8. rusty valley

rusty valley

i agree with the above, most folks replace the whole cowl section cut off in the middle of the windshield post, and separated at the ford joint at the ends of the subrails. 3 windows have more bulge in the sides, thats why tudor conversions never really have the look

9. Elvis100

Elvis100

I agree, I just did a cowl replacement on a three window. There is noticeable difference in shape above the windshield

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

I'd assumed the two doors and roofs were more similar than they are. The B pillar looks noticeably longer/taller on the Fordor and the window opening taller toward the hinge/B pillar than the 5W door. It's hard to find the exact photo angle on the web, but these two are pretty close.
    1934-ford-fordor-vs 5W coupe door.jpg

Algoma56 likes this.
  11. SeabeeChuck

SeabeeChuck

Thanks so much for all the replies. I still have the original 3W cowl/ windshield piece for the front of the car. I am going to cut about halfway up the windshield to the start of the roof hole and graft it to the donor cowl/ windshield.

Thanks again!

Algoma56 likes this.
  12. Alphy

Alphy

I thought they were all the same above the windshield frame. What modified are required as my 3window header section is destroyed and going to use 4dr header above windshield.