Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Mustang tank in '49 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StefanS, Jan 7, 2021.

1. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I've tried researching but I cant find what I'm looking for. The Ford needs a new tank. I'm lowering it 7" or so in the rear, so I want to get some distance between the ground and tank. The framing I've gotten planned out and the tank is an easy one. What's getting me is the sending unit. What's everyone using with the stock gauge? I have no intentions on getting an aftermarket gauge. Am I lucky and the stock gauge and mustang sending unit are in the same ohm range?

2. leon bee

leon bee

I haven't tried it yet, but don't think the newer sender will have anything to do with the original gauge. Been some discussion of this sort of thing over at the Ford Barn.

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Just use the original sender. Make a bung like what the sender screwed to in the old tank, solder to new tank, adjust float arm.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. jaracer

jaracer

I'm using a 50 instrument cluster in my Model A. You just need to match the Ohm range of the sender to the gauge. I'm not sure what the Mustang sender range is, but it probably isn't far off. If you are going to run 12 volts, you need a stepped down supply for the gauges. I had Abbott Instrument Restoration in Portland to refurbish my gauges. He has a solid state power supply and knows the Ohm range for the sender. 503-246-1287

alanp561 and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I'll have to take a look at it when I pull the old tank out. I thought the sender screwed into the tank with 5 or 6 screws..?

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

You got it!

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I use an 8CM oil dipstick with an old file handle on it. Stick it in the tank, see how much is on the stick. It’s dumb but it doesn’t lie!

nosford likes this.
  8. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I hear that man. Direct to the source haha

9. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I see what you're saying. I was thinking screwed into the way a bolt screws into a nut. Could the mustang one be drilled to the shoebox bolt pattern?
    On that note, has anyone used a Shoebox Central (or anyone elses) repop sender with the factory gauge and gotten accurate results?

10. goldmountain

goldmountain

Take out the sending unit from your old tank and measure the resistance from empty to full with an ohm meter and compare it with a Mustang unit. I Don't think that it will transfer directly into the Mustang since it will be the 5 or 6 screw type where the Mustang will have a screw on flange. Report back with what you find for better suggestions.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Tanks Inc. makes a Mustang style tank with an opening for aftermarket five screw sending unit. It also has, if I remember right, a bolt on filler with a stub neck with a cap or a hose barb stub. I have one in my Henry J.

Gary

StefanS and 1971BB427 like this.
  12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

The Mustang/Falcon sending unit is 70 ohm negative ground. Best to cut the bung out of the new tank, and the old '50 tang, and weld the old into the new tank so you can use the old sender.

13. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I just went on their site. They have a universal mustang tank, a tube sending unit in the correct ohm range, a filler neck with a vent and the vent hose. Thanks for the info