Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Images of vintage gas stations ~ pre 65

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 17, 2016.

1. loudbang

loudbang

2. 296ardun

296ardun

Associated_Gas_Ventura_Blvd_1949.jpg
    When the snow fell in Southern California, January 1949. These guys obviously have no snow shovels and are trying their best with regular ones.

3. loudbang

loudbang

4. loudbang

loudbang

5. loudbang

loudbang

6. loudbang

loudbang

7. loudbang

loudbang

8. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Same Texaco sign that a hot rodder has around the corner from me. Same lights too. Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  9. Your pointing out the oil display stand, reminds me of a personal incident.
    Back in 1968, when my wife and I were driving through Banff, Alta., on our honeymoon, she was a newly licensed driver and was getting experience on my 1964 Corvette.
    I had been attempting to get her to shift down while decelerating, as good driving technique, and to save wear on the brakes. She chose the moment to concentrate on shifting down, just as we were pulling up to the gas pumps, at a large Esso gas bar where they had one of those displays in front of each pump island.
    While concentrating on shifting, she momentarily stopped paying attention to where the car was going, and shaved the oil can display stand. There was no time to react.
    The display stand was still rocking back and forth, even after she had reached the pump, stopped the car, and I had exited the car to assess the damage. For as alarmed as I was that she might have damaged the car (or the stand), I still saw the humour in the situation and started to laugh.
    Her assessment of the situation was, that it was all my fault for wanting her to shift down.
    There was no damage to the car or the stand.
    Bob

alanp561, wicarnut, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  10. Without seeing this picture, I wouldn't have believed that it would have snowed in downtown LA. I was based as an exchange pilot in Laredo Texas between 70 and 73, and it snowed there twice. The whole county looked like a disaster area, with drivers, inexperienced in driving on snow covered roads in cars with bald tires. No serious accidents in Laredo or San Antonio, but fender benders everywhere.
    Great memories.
    Bob

11. loudbang

loudbang

12. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

LB,

Looks like that one is closed and deserted (kinda spooky even lol). I would like to own an old station. There is one in town that was restored into an old Sinclair station but is used for vehicle storage. Maybe it’s one of the car clubs, don’t know really. Cool though.
    Randy

wicarnut and loudbang like this.
  13. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

14. There was an old service station in my area, that was for sale for many years. The big problem with it was, that it was closed because of leaking tanks, and would have required a lot of money to clean up and remove the tanks. It was a real pity but it did eventually sell. I am sorry I don't have a picture of it, but I never thought of how iconic some of these old garages were.
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  15. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Exactly! I know the tanks were always an issue on an old station. Now with all of them gone or just foodmarts I miss them. Randy

loudbang and j-jock like this.
  16. mike bowling

mike bowling

17. loudbang

loudbang

18. wicarnut

wicarnut

19. wicarnut

wicarnut

20. wicarnut

wicarnut

21. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

what is that thing to the left of the pump? it looks like it has wide tires and a roll cage

loudbang, wicarnut and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  22. wicarnut

wicarnut

Old Modified or Sprint car or ? looks like the truck style hubs, modified stock car side nerf bar, I'm guessing, no info with picture, your guess is as good as mine. I do remember in my youth 50's that many gas stations had racers at their service station, the owners were local racers. In later years late 60's through the 80's into 90's when traveling to tracks I didn't know and was looking for we always stopped at a station with a racer sitting there, they would send us to the local track we were looking for. Sometimes it was an adventure to find the tracks and on occasion we would show up on wrong weekend, back in the day, great memories/priceless

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  23. SR100

SR100

That looks like an old school wrecker, possibly shop-built.

wicarnut likes this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

25. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

So curb side fill-ups, Christmas trees and maybe a tire repair or replacement?! I see the jack to the right...

biggeorge, wicarnut and loudbang like this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

27. loudbang

loudbang