Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone have a good link to a video on ridge reaming?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve seen it done before, but have never done it myself

If you do it, and can provide a link for me to watch, I’d appreciate it

I’ve watched a few different methods on YouTube, but trying to sort out which would be proper/best

I’ve a spare junk block I can get comfortable with before going after the real thing

Thanks

2. I've done it a couple of ways ... one was using an actual ridge reamer (borrowed) and the other was with a die grinder. Both removed the ridge and allowed easy piston removal.

That being said, if you can't get the piston out because of a large ridge (rings catching on the ridge), that block needs to be bored because the taper in those bores will cause the rings to open and close with every stroke and the pistons will be loose. Trust me on this ... I learned from my own personal experience :(

Edit: Some auto parts stores lend tools, they may have one available.

Deuces and AccurateMike like this.
  3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

All you do is get a ridge reamer., put it in the cylinder, adjust so it touches the ridge, rotate and cut down the ridge. Done! I suppose you could go a tiny bit more to chamfer but just at the very top.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you have to keep adjusting the cutter as you go until you get to th epoint you want to be, just take a tiny bit off with each turn or two.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

get the tool, use it , you dont need a video.

5. Budget36

Budget36

Maybe the tool I saw years ago is different than now, it appeared to be offset, then the guy kept adjusting it. Then , as I recall, he spun the cutter, made a tweak, and so on.

Deuces likes this.
  6. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I was scared at first but. . . turns out it was pretty easy.

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. Ridge reamer is fairly easy to use; if unsure, go slow and shallow with the cuts. Looked at mine the other day, while re-arranging the toolbox. Kept putting it back in original cardboard box after use. Bought it at JC Penney's!

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

You'll be alright, it's a simple process. As said above, temp fix generally if you plan to run the engine due to cylinder taper.

9. Budget36

Budget36

Thanks all, I just recall seeing it done years ago, maybe the guy was showing off;). Might have been the tool available back then as well.

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Type this in Google and have at it:

ridge reamer video

The first seven hits are all YouTube video's on ridge reamer use.

I didn't watch any of them.....

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You constantly have to adjust it as you cut the ridge out. I usually snug it up until it just takes up the tension and touches and start cutting and to round and decide if I need to adjust it a tad and go again. You don't take all the metal in one cut or even two you shave a very thin layer off, adjust a little bit and shave another thin layer off and repeat until you don't feel any ridge.

It take a bit of trial and error to get a handle on how much to adjust it so go with tiny steps and play with it a bit until you feel you have it right.
    I've been cutting ridges out of cylinders since fall of 1962 and it is a stop and think process every time so don't get in an uproar if you have to stop and think a bit.