Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Header help...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hardcaliber, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Hardcaliber

Hardcaliber

I finally have my big block Chevy mounted in my ‘31 Plymouth and am looking for some header help. I bought a set of sprint car/ roadster headers and all seemed well until I mounted the wheels and tires back on the car. The passenger side is fine but the driver wheel has major interference issues when turning to the left. I can’t move the engine back at all so I am in a bind. I have looked at the lakes headers and have a used set lined up but I saw these other ones that schoenfeld makes for a small block only they call “street rod” headers. Does anyone know of a company the makes them for a big block? My car will be fenderless, and I need headers that go outside the frame. All the fenderwell headers I’ve seen go up too high and won’t look as good as these others I found I feel.

Attached Files:

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Buy some precut flanges and build your own .

X38 likes this.
  3. bchctybob

bchctybob

Have you called Schoenfeld and asked if they can/will make a set for a big block? You don’t show where you live but on the west coast you could maybe send the pictures to Lemon’s Headers and have them made. Maybe Headers by Ed or Kook’s back east.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Look at fenderwell headers.. tri 5 chev or like these that was from a shoe box chev.

20181103_171149.jpg

20181103_172225.jpg

Dont forget to use turn outs at the flange.. To stop blowing dirt every where..

bchctybob likes this.

5. Hardcaliber

Hardcaliber

I have looked at some different fenderwell headers. I just really like the look of these “rat/street” rod headers. I’m sort of new to this style car building and was hoping there was somewhere I hadn’t found yet that offered them.
    The ones you show look pretty awesome and aesthetically match the blower, my engine is more plain looking and I think they would look out of place a bit on my car.

6. Hardcaliber

Hardcaliber

I will try to call Schoenfeld. I think I found some Kooks actually just now, but they are $1700, I’m trying to do this on a bit of a budget and hurry for my father ..... I know I’ve seen this complaint on here before but why are headers price variations so outrageous? My sprint car headers were $200, Lakes are $500!? A universal build your own is $400!? I know about supply and demand but it’s all made of metal and there’s a lot more with some headers than others...

bchctybob and Blues4U like this.
  7. Hardcaliber

Hardcaliber

If I have to come to that I will. Trying to be a little more time and budget efficient as it’s a build I’m doing for my father.

Blues4U likes this.
  8. Hardcaliber

Hardcaliber

The other set that would work is if I could find a set of “hi boy” headers that all collected in the middle pipe area.

9. sdluck

sdluck

Texas Webb likes this.
  10. Hardcaliber

Hardcaliber

Not intentional. I’ll fix it now.

and Sanderson doesn’t make headers like that for a big block...that I can see

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    bchctybob likes this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

Find a pic of what you like, then email that to some header companies and ask if they make them for a BBC. Many times you won’t see all products listed on the website

bchctybob and Texas Webb like this.
  12. Hardcaliber

Hardcaliber

Worth a shot. It’s a two part problem...number one finding something that will work, number 2 it not costing a outrageous amount of money. I ordered some Tri five fenderwell headers and we will see how that goes. If not guess I’ll just build my own...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

If you’re going to build your own, I recall some posts about guys using some type of insert between tube cuts, easier to weld. Others didn’t like it for a possible restriction. Thing is I recall a video posted here on the HAMB about an engine on a Dyno with headers, they started dinging and banging the hell out of them. Dyno show little loss of performance

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Contact Schonefeld , they will help you and may already have a set on computer that will work, but not listed because they don’t sell many! We have had them custom build sets of headers before! But we just have to drive over there! Lol

Bones

bchctybob likes this.
  15. Paulz

Paulz

Get a BBC weld up header kit from a well known rod and race parts supplier.

16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Looks to be a SBC not a BBC
    upload_2021-1-7_9-31-14.png

17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I saw that video too! Talk about rattling your cage! Make a person wonder why you even need dual exhaust! Those guys put a small Block Chevy , iirc on a Dyno and made a pull then they started putting dents in the headers and making pulls after! The horsepower never change very much! One time after a huge dent was put in one pipe,the engine actually made a couple of more horsepower! Really! Totally freaked me out!

Bones

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  18. Hardcaliber

Hardcaliber

yes, I’ve seen that before. It was a engine masters episode. Pretty wild how it made no difference. Then they did another where they put lakes headers on a engine after some sprint car headers and it lost 30 hp.

AHotRod and Boneyard51 like this.
  19. Hardcaliber

Hardcaliber

It definitely is a SBC, I’m hoping to find some for a BBC, without much luck. Those pictures are from schoenfeld, reasonably
    Priced as well.

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Just Gary likes this.
  21. Hardcaliber

Hardcaliber

I have a big block. I added the pictures in my first post from Schoenfelds website as a example of the style I was looking for. I have some of the fenderwells headers you listed on the way, we will see how they fit.

22. Hardcaliber

Hardcaliber

swade41 and Boneyard51 like this.
  23. If you like everything the way it is except the Left turn issue why change the Exhaust? Your cluster of photos isn't very clear but it looks like a suicide perch and hairpins and Black painted frame brackets. Why not just move the total front Axle forward 2 inches, (3 contact points) touch up the black paint and get on with driving it?

24. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Note to posters.....
    The violet T-Bucket in the cluster photos is not the OP's car.
    the photo is not the OP's car
    the photo is not the OP's car...

Hardcaliber,
    Maybe it would be a good idea to post a photo of your actual car. That way, you might get a more informed opinion.

Blues4U and AHotRod like this.
  25. 53 hemi

53 hemi

I've actually been looking at getting a set of those headers and mating them to early Hemi flanges! OP, if you end up getting them I'd love to see a pic of them mounted!

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Hardcaliber

Hardcaliber

ok, you’re right. Here it is with the sprint car headers on it. They come out 14” from the block if I remember correctly. The passenger side front exhaust port is like 1-1/2 to 2 inches set back compared to the drivers side so no issue over there.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  27. jaracer

jaracer

I used to buy header kits from Speedway. If you welded them up without cutting anything, they looked exactly like what you have. However, I always wanted the headers tight to the chassis and my drag link on the outside of the header. Also with the weight of the tubes and collector hanging out there so far, they tend to crack when you run across a dirt track at speed. You can really shorten those headers a lot and tuck them in.

28. bchctybob

bchctybob

Your comment about the price of headers and kits is right on. I've been building headers for years and the price differences are crazy. Schoenfeld has always been a good value; good stuff, reasonably priced. The price of Lakes Headers may reflect the amount of hand fitting required by smaller companies, huge corporations could probably afford laser cutting equipment but you're still paying for that. That's why the Internet is such a great thing, we can shop places that we my not have ever known about.
    It looks like your sprint car headers would have fit if they had gone straight down instead of forward and then back. I would cut those apart and use all of the bends to make what you need. New headers - zero dollars.

Budget36 likes this.