Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBF headers 41-48 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Jan 6, 2021.

1. topher5150

topher5150

I have a 351W in my 47 Ford I'm using the original front suspension with an early 70s GM Saginaw power steering box using a Speedway adapter. I tried the Explorer cast manifolds, and I tried a set of block huggers from Speedway, and I can't get anything to fit past the steering box. It almost seems like if the flange went down another 4"-6" it might work, but I really don't want to have to hack up a brand new pair of headers.

2. topher5150

topher5150

3. fortynut

fortynut

I can't speak 100% for Ford stuff, even if I know that some of the Dump Truck exhaust is similar to the Ram's Horn exhaust from GM. I had a problem similar to yours and solved it by using a right hand (Passenger) exhaust manifold that turned back with a cast elbow and put it on the left bank (Driver side). Maybe you could think like that as most engine exhaust ports are symmetrical enough to be reversed and many kinds that work on one side solve major problems on the other. Of course, I had to plumb the exhaust underneath after I got it turned but it sure beat what I was dealing with before. Good Luck on your effort. I, too, am building a '48 Ford with a Small Block Mouse Motor from the General.

4. topher5150

topher5150

I wonder if there's a GM box similar but maybe a little smaller?

5. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

You'd rather change the steering box than cut the flange off?

6. millersgarage

millersgarage

you're going to have to modify the headers.
    I put a 302 in my 47, and had to modify both right and left headers to clear everything.

7. topher5150

topher5150

Just seeing if there was a simple solution before I get out the cutoff wheel.
    Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app