Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Flippers? Spinners? or Discs?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 22, 2020.

1. 51 mercules

51 mercules

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

3. 48stude

48stude

My Roadster, I also have a set of 53 Olds fiestas that will go on my T coupe.
    IMG_0182.JPG

54delray, Jet96, Rolleiflex and 11 others like this.
  4. John B

John B

5. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

54delray, Jet96, OG lil E and 4 others like this.
  6. 51 mercules

51 mercules

50 Merc Man, 54delray, Jet96 and 4 others like this.
  7. Does anyone make or sell just the flipper bars? I just got a set of nice old ribbed baby moons and I'd like to add flippers if I can find them.

8. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

Thank you, my project lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

51 mercules likes this.
  9. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

Are you from Redlands? I used to live there, went to many car shows and cruises when I lived in the area, I’ve had different cars at that time, and now I’ve finally have the hot rodders dream, this 50’ Merc

51 mercules likes this.
  10. Bounder

Bounder

I had 3 bar checker boards on my car in high school so they were a natural on my merc. Had spun alum disc on the back for about 100 yards before they came off , fender skirts ruined them.

54delray likes this.
  11. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I live in Yucaipa now! I used to live by the University of Redland up until a few years ago when they bought my house. I also went to many car shows and cruises in the area and donuts at Karens Donuts in Mentone
    . The 51 pictured in the garage is my dream car and project. I always wanted a merc. The black and white photo is what it used to look like.

50 Merc Man likes this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Full chrome moon with a single bar were on my dads 29 in the late 30’s and early 40’s really right for the time and look great going down the road..

51 mercules likes this.
  13. Fiestas, Lancers, Ripples.

14. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

I know the area well, I used to live off of San Bernardino avenue and occidental, close to the university myself. Do they still have the Yucaipa car shows every month? It used to be at pizza chalet up on the boulevard, lotta fun

51 mercules likes this.
  15. 51 mercules

51 mercules

They don't have it at Pizza Chalet anymore. They have a pretty good one at the Von's shopping center, at least they did before covid. I'm not sure if Von's was there when you lived out here. It's at the ne corner of Yucaiapa Blvd and Oak Glen Road.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

17. Frames

Frames

1956 Mercury with a Ford truck front grease cap added 2003-12-31 23.00.00-12.jpg

54delray, gsnort, Jet96 and 6 others like this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-1-5_3-51-35.png

Hello,

When my brother bought his first car, the 1951 Olds 2 door sedan, it came with full size 15 inch stock hubcaps. Those were a little boring and immediately, he took those off and we painted the rims black. It ran like that for a while. Then, his age group started buying their first cars and had all sorts of hubcaps to choose from, on those Saturday morning hot rod gatherings, that teens did back then. No one could afford chrome reversed wheels, but they did have all sorts of styles of hubcaps.

It was one thing to have nice hubcaps and exchanging them with your friends was a fun thing to do. How did the old sedans look with Dodge Lancer 4 spoke flippers? Olds Fiestas? or Moon Discs? Teenage gatherings and friendly exchanges were happening on any given Saturday when not going to Lion's Dragstrip.

Since most of those old days happen to be at our house (those friends loved coming to our house because our mom made some outstanding snacks and lunches for everyone) I was the recipient of being there and having a relationship to those early hot rods and cruisers. Since I was younger, I could get bossed around, like “…take off those Dodge Lancer hubcaps and put them on the 37 Chevy Sedan.” “Try the Moon Discs and tape them on the 34 Ford Coupe.” (original Moon Discs were screw-in type) It was a fun day for a young pre-teen as I had access to all of the cars in attendance. The show case was in the driveway of our house.

Jnaki

It got to be a fun event for me as I was able to drive the cars from the driveway to the street and so on until each car had the center spot for all to see how they looked. If someone had those small Moon Center Caps and beauty trim rings, then those got moved around the hot rods/cruisers that were in attendance. For some reason, those funny looking small hubcaps with the ridge sticking out reminded us of World War One helmets. That made them a rarity on any of those cars that showed up almost weekly, on Saturday mornings.

After weeks of these Saturday morning show and shine/hubcap exchanges, a new business and interest started for me. As a younger kid, I was there and available to do any maintenance work. Being paid to do what I would normally do on my brother’s car was a gift. But, for a dollar or two, I was to wash/wipe down the car and give it a wax job.

Or just a wash and wipe on most days. The wax job would take a couple of dollars to finish. It was a time when the house and Rumpus Room came in handy for those teens as they had a place to go to be alone and laugh/gab/make fun of each other. I was just the maintenance kid and was not part of that gathering.
    upload_2021-1-5_4-6-39.png
    The original color from the factory at purchase time as a used car.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...e-working-on-it.1121355/page-10#post-13778812

From all of those days of hubcap exchanges, detailing and modifying those old cars, my brother settled on getting a set of screw-in Moon Discs for his 1951 Oldsmobile Sedan. It was fast as a big sedan, but now, it actually looked fast. The original color was yellow but, the photos were of the last year he had the 51 Olds and it had been painted a Lime Green to sell it to one of my brother’s friends.
    upload_2021-1-5_3-58-53.png
    My brother actually liked the Olds Fiesta Flipper hubcaps as they made the car stand out coming down the road. There was a lot of shiny movement from the wheels. But, it was not the "racy" look he wanted for his big, fast Oldsmobile Sedan.

54delray, gsnort, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  19. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

Yes it was there, my dad told me they moved it to the vons parking lot, I wished I was closer id go again, miss those days

20. I dig both, run the 56 royal lancers on my roadster and the A coupe gets flipped all the time.
    rdster.jpg
    cpe.jpg
    I ran a few different caps on the styleline - some cool JC whitney's and '59 Nash Ambassador, always liked the crest on those and ran them on a few cars.
    52.jpg
    52rear.jpg
    Need to find some 1 bar flippers for 16" wide 5 rims for the '37, have cool Lyons on there now but just want to change it up.
    37.1.jpg

21. de-fenders

de-fenders

I’m partial to Fiestas.........

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

50 Merc Man likes this.
  22. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lucky me: For Christmas, I received 53-55 Fiesta re-pops for my '52 Chebby from daughter and son-in-law. It'll be wearing them in warm weather months.

23. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Honestly I think it depends what era custom you’re looking to duplicate. That being said, you can’t go wrong with flippers.

24. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

All the flipsters drove the prices up.

25. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

Can't beat a chrome reverse with a 1950 Merc. cap combination.

klawockvet and Chili Phil like this.
  26. Jfriends

Jfriends
    from Charlotte

Any Lyon lovers here?

TagMan likes this.
  27. Jfriends

Jfriends
    from Charlotte

My old '50 5 window IMG_20190523_191021_385.jpg

54delray, gsnort, treb11 and 3 others like this.
  28. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

11094290_10153275088549839_8740776566553788607_n.jpg

IMG_4262.JPG

Had the Fiesta's on my Roadster w/WWW when it was finished in 2014, probably shoulg have left them on. A big difference. The Lancers are re-pops I've had for years & finally used when I ecided it was time to get the '51 running again. These never go out of style.

54delray, gsnort, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  29. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

30. Mike A Model

Mike A Model

A set of "Moon Hubcaps" with beauty rings on polished steel wheels are hard to beat!

50 Merc Man likes this.