Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 Chevy 3100 headlight position question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HerecometheJudge1954, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Upon going through the rewiring process for 12v, I bought a new 12v headlight switch from Classic Parts.

I buttoned up everything yesterday and have some gremlins for sure, nothing too hideous. But the headlight switch is interesting how it is functioning. I DOUBLE CHECKED that have wires hooked up correctly per the diagram.

#1 position- headlights on. Taillights on, no front parking lights. (1st notch away from being pushed all the way in)
    #2 position- headlights off, taillights on, front parking lights on. (Pulled all the way out)

I suppose I can rearrange the wires to get desired effect, but is this the way it was supposed to be from the factory? Thanks in advance.

Might have a bad dimmer switch as well, have high beams but no low beams. But I’ll check that out later.

Chad

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Well I found one culprit- there’s a couple different diagrams out there that are floating around and I was using one that was incorrect. The taillight center stud was correct, but dimmer and front park was reversed. I know this means that the headlights and front park won’t work at the same time so if I want it to function like a modern setup, I’ll have to put both park and taillights on the taillight stud.

3. Maicobreako

Maicobreako

Do you have the park lights in the front grill? I turned mine into turn signals

Should be, #1 - tail lights + dash lights, and park lights (grill lights)
    #2, all the way out, headlights and tail lights + dash, and this should turn off the front park lights.

HerecometheJudge1954 likes this.
  4. Maicobreako

Maicobreako

From owners manual.
    headlight switch 001.jpg

5. Since mine is a ‘54, mine are below the headlights on the front fenders. But yeah, that’s the function that they’ll do with the stock wiring configuration. Was just wondering if I could put front parking lights on tail light post of headlight switch so would function like a modern car? I do have the front parking lights wired with two filament lights for both turn signal and parking lights, on a seven wire aftermarket turn signal stalk.

6. Maicobreako

Maicobreako

[QUOTE=" just wondering if I could put front parking lights on tail light post of headlight switch so would function like a modern car? [/QUOTE]

Don't see why not. Are they clear or yellow? My 39 has parking bulb inside the headlight shell, so you wouldn't want them both on at same time, guess this idea carried over ,even though my 55 has separate park lights in grill , they figured no need for them while the headlights are on.

Pics of your truck?

7. Don't see why not. Are they clear or yellow? My 39 has parking bulb inside the headlight shell, so you wouldn't want them both on at same time, guess this idea carried over ,even though my 55 has separate park lights in grill , they figured no need for them while the headlights are on.

Pics of your truck?[/QUOTE]
    3C1A3EB3-D9D4-473F-AB2D-9FFC7090C601.jpeg
    Here’s one of my sister with the truck a couple Christmas ago. We grew up with this truck. It has some cancer for sure and some bondo but my Dad painted it in ‘71. And it’s a Michigan truck so yep, it would have some cancer.

I did hook up the parking lights together to the taillight post and it’s good to go. Thanks for your input!

next is to sort out the headlights. Have no low beams but high beams work. I think the dimmer switch is bad. The ground is both for high and lows so I know ground is good. Just need to make a test jumper to I can connect the battery to the low beam wiring to test and verify that the dimmer is bad.

8. Your Honor, that’s one good looking truck you have there. I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. Thank you! The “Judge” avatar is from an old rear view mirror ornament he hung on it for years- It says “Here Come The Judge”.

But around the house, she’s known as Old Crow, that was my dad’s CB handle. :)