Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Special order Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TCTND, Jan 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlesf

charlesf

My first car (in 1968) was a 1965 Mustang K model fastback. The PO pointed out that the paint was a Lincoln color, not Highland Green as claimed on the door tag, and the hood was a fiberglass 1967 prototype. It was built for a Ford “executive “, according to the PO. It was indeed painted in a Lincoln color, with no evidence of ever being any other color.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  2. finn

finn

The 69 full size Chevy listed a 265 hp 396 as an optional engine in thsales brochure, along with the 325 hp version.

The 265 would be the 2 barrel version.

I don’t know if the 265 hp engine was a one year only option or was carried over to the next year.

The brochures are available for viewing at The old Car Manual Project, or something like that.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  3. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I sure as hell don't believe it!!!

54vicky and Unique Rustorations like this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

Thank you!....:)

loudbang likes this.
  5. Deuces

Deuces

Here's one... GM# 3952300... 001 (6).jpg :)

6. At the local GM factory we built Chevrolet Elcaminos and GMC the same bodies. Several of them made the shipping gate half Chevy half GMC on the outside. Also saw a Chevy pick up that a man bought that had Chevy on one side GMC on the other. Shouldn’t have told him.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  7. Fordors

Fordors

Yet again the unthinkable is proven. I wonder why the need was felt for a low compression, 2 bbl., 3 speed stick option? The HAMB always comes through with odd info, thanks guys.

Deuces likes this.
  8. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

never say never!!im not certain is my go too !!

9. finn

finn

Ford, Pontiac, Olds, Buick, and Mopar all had a large displacement big block engine with low compression for compatibility with regular gas, and a two barrel carb.

Chevy was late to the party.

The 2 barrel 396 was replaced by the 400 small block shortly afterwards. Don’t know if the 400 was available in a regular fuel version.

My dad, for one, would never consider a family car that required premium fuel. He did buy a brand new Ranch Wagon with the 2 barrel low compression 390, though.

I’m not sure, but I think the 2 barrel 396 was a Chevy pickup thing in that era, too.

10. I think where GM stepped in it, was because they didn't tell the buyers what they were doing. There is nothing worse than a customer finding out by accident that they didn't receive what they thought they had purchased.
    I can still remember the sense of anger that my friend felt when we were standing there looking at the Chevy engine under the hood of his car. The ad men should have advertised the Chevy as a 351 or a 349, to differentiate between the Chev and the Olds engines on the order sheet. This would have solved the problem.
    Bob

11. Nope...I have a buddy who owns a 68 or 9 Canadian built Pontiac StratoChief four door sedan that was built with a 396 2 barrel, powerglide. Only option is power steering....it's the right colour for an old RCMP cruiser.

12. A good friend of mine was a Chevy, new car salesman and I bought a couple of new cars across his desk. One time when I was shopping for a Nova, we were taking a tour through the lot and there was a canary yellow Nova with a red plaid interior. My wife loved anything and everything yellow and I had to talk away from that abortion. My buddy said it was a "bonus baby", which in salesman's parlance meant if he sold it, he would get a bonus over and above the usual commission.
    I took a 'build sheet' and ordered one built my way. Because it was going to be a family car, I wanted a 4-door with a V8, 4-barrel, 4-speed on the floor, and duals. (A family guy's 4442?) The sales manager tried to jack my deposit higher. The wait wasn't too bad; I think I had it in about 4 weeks. :rolleyes:

13. Fordors

Fordors

I already acknowledged my mistake in post #69, no, actually it was not a mistake only a lack of knowledge about an obscure factory option that nobody gives a fig about. I see you are a teacher, I hope you are not as condescending with your students.

Deuces likes this.
  14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Looked at a 69 Caprice that needed a timing chain years ago and it had one of those 2 bbl 396s,the 2 bbl kind of looked like a quadrajet.

15. Not condescending at all, and if I came across as such, then I apologize. I was just stating something I know to be true. Trucks had two barrels too, but I had a ride in this car that I knew had a big block two barrel....and giving a fig about, well, Canadian built Pontiacs with big blocks are kind of rare, and have quite a following...

302GMC, Hnstray, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  16. Fordors

Fordors

Apology accepted, after what I witnessed this afternoon I guess I was a little amped up and I was out of line.

302GMC, mr57, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  17. Deuces

Deuces

....and GM called it: LS3....:rolleyes:

loudbang likes this.
  18. [​IMG][​IMG]

This could be a more plausible special order Buick. One extra pedal......

19. Those 2-barrel big blocks were right at the start of Washington mandating pollution control. The auto industry was scrambling to develop the tech to satisfy those mandates. It was the beginning of the horsepower dark ages. Eventually, computer chips got smart enough to clean up the exhaust and bump the power back up.

20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

My mother had. Off topic Buick gs, bench seat, auto on the column, poverty caps, cold air hood and a ram air big block....

21. My brother in law bought a Firebird Trans Am around 1977, black in and out with the screaming chicken on the hood. He got pissed off when I told him it was an Olds 400, not a Pontiac 400. I think they built some at the same time (1977) with Pontiac 400s but were only with 4 speeds and kinda rare.

22. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Olds 403...1977-1979 in this application with automatic transmissions. The Pontiac 400 was also offered at the same time w manual transmissions. Way off-topic...sorry. Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Tman, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  23. Deuces

Deuces

.....also used in '78....
    After '79 the poncho motor was done for....:(

loudbang likes this.
  24. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

I just bought olds motor, which was advertised as one of those firebird 403 ones...
    Got it in my garage and check stampings.
    A 1972 455 out of s.t 442...

Could that original topics buick had cad engine with 53 cad dynaflow?
    They did make more than few cadillacs with that transmission, due the hydramatic plant fire.

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It seems that this has turned into a discussion of all off topic cars, what do you say we get back to traditional hot rods and customs, huh fellas??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.