Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford Flathead 200MPH rear engine modified 27 Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ronnieroadster, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

They were tuning in the pits yesterday and that thing sounds wicked!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  2. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

wonder how much difference there is in power on the supercharged motor at 7000ft adjusted altitude.

3. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Qualified Sat at 196.882 on his 8/16 192.448 record, Sun morning's back up runs hadn't been posted yet on the http://www.scta-bni.org/ website when I checked a few mins ago.

Ed

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Stogy, loudbang and Jalopy Joker like this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for update

loudbang likes this.
  5. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Yesterday's results have been posted here: http://www.scta-bni.org/sw-race-results.html

We have to be patient at times, getting accurate results out takes time and the event's whole organizational deal is pretty much volunteer.

Ed

6. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

patience?? where do I get me some of this mythical substance you refer too!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  7. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Still maintaining here that age has nothing to do with anything .......but I do have seemed to gain a bit of patience the last few years........

Congratulations Ronnie and crew!

Sure hope the certs come through for you quicker this time around!

Ed

8. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fastest run so far was 196 mph on Saturday.

Stogy, saltflats, Jet96 and 1 other person like this.
  9. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

per the scta site it looks like Ronnie roadster got the record up to 195.65 so far! 192 is old record, 195.65 is "new" hopefully hes got a little more left in her to break 200 on the salt!

Ron's Hobby Shop Special
    XF
    BGRMR
    Ron San Giovanni Sr

Baron, Stogy, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  10. banjorear

banjorear

Awesome, Ronnie! S

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Quite impressive. Congrats on the new record at Bonneville!

Stogy, FIVE-WINDO-GIRL and loudbang like this.
  12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

13. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

looking at this mornings results isn't so good! looks like he pulled off right away on the first run of the day and after after the first mile on the second run there was a problem...

14. 55chevr

55chevr

I cannot imagine how much work it takes to keep a flathead running over 200 mph. Ronnie has a few spare engines and needs them all to keep this project going.
    Joe

15. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

i just realized why the changes to Ron's speeds. He switched to "fuel" to break his own record again in that class!
    must be doing something right, he bumped it up another 8mph!!

16. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Im not saying he isnt running fuel but a lot of times they just run gas and dont have the tank sealed or use another non spec gas. Whatever he is using it damn sure works

17. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

WOW! Very impressive.

18. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

We are back home from our trip to Speedweek it was A busy week for our team. Heres a run down of how our week went this is going to be long so bear with me:
    I was able to make the second pass on the long course opening day on Saturday. The salt conditions were amazing many of the old timers told us they had not seen salt this good for well over 20 years. On my run I ran into a head wind the entire pass but the car handled perfectly needing almost no steering corrections what so ever this was the smoothest pass ever in my car. The speed into the wind was 196.882 mph while I was hoping for a 200 run driving into a head wind slowed the car down also I was not able to get the RPM where I wanted falling short by 500.
    Sunday mornings backup run was completely different than Saturdays I was the first to make a pass so I got the pleasure of testing the timers which thankfully worked also on the starting line the wind was now a tail wind so it looked like I would get a helping push from the wind. On the run I discovered that tail wind was now a high cross wind approaching the first mile marker which pushed the car hard to the right during most of the run. It was now up to me to steer the car and keep her between the blue lines which was a handful to do but I made sure I never lifted pushing as hard as I could against the firewall. Once again the tach fell short of where I was hoping it would be but under the conditions she ran 194.418mph. After the run we went back to impound to get the record certified so everything was set except measuring the engine size we had the engine sealed so we could continue running her the rest of the week and then open her up so the size could be measured once we were finished racing.
    Returning to the pits I had a couple of changes I could make to how the engine was running to try and gain the needed RPM after some work we needed to check the ignition timing thats when we ran into a problem. During the warm up the engine developed a horrible internal sound. Upon removing the heads we found an exhaust valve seat in cylinder number seven had shattered so this ended any further running of our primary engine.
    Now we had to do an engine change to our backup which I built to run Speedweek way back in 2015 and have run ever since at many of the events we attended. In 2015 the event was canceled since the flats were under water. When we discovered the problem with the first engine it was around noon time Sunday the temps were in the high 90'S and by late afternoon over 100 I was not looking forward to what we had to do but after about 5 hours of work and with the help of the team and Jeff Arnett helping when I was damn near out of energy we had the car running and ready for Monday morning. At this point I decided to let my son Ron Jr. drive and run on the fuel record but still just run gasoline.
    Monday morning after the long course return record runs it was our turn to make the run all went well for about a 1000 feet when I see the car turning off the course - dead no power! Back to the pits to see whats wrong we discover no gas in the carb and trace the problem to the electric fuel pump wire which disconnected. To do an engine change everything must be removed since everything sits on top of the engine and trans assembly all the wiring comes apart so the unplugged wire was an easy fix. Back in line we go. The lines were short so not a long wait. Once my son was underway all went well the old reliable backup engine gave us 184.678mph still short of the RPM we wanted just like the other engine but in impound we go.
    In impound working on the car for Tuesday mornings return run we decide on A few changes to hopefully gain some speed since were allowed 4 hours to get the car ready we had the time to do the changes of course once again we were working in high heat conditions so lots of liquids were consumed that would be water of course. Tuesday morning the Ron's Hobby Shop Special is the first car off the line for the return runs testing the timers once again the run went well and our changes helped gain some speed 189.027 mph bumping the record to 186.852 mph.
    Our week was now complete and we once again had the fastest flatheads at Speedweek it was a lot of work and overall almost a years worth of preparation to do this but it was all worth it. To spend the week with my wife Laura and son Ron as well as my 81 year old brother Tony and his son Paul and the guys from the CSRA car club who come and help and experience this amazing place is worth every moment.
    The 2400 mile drive each way is not a favorite part but we do what we must to be at what I call Mecca.
    Ronnieroadster

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71, hfh, Baron and 3 others like this.
  19. kidcampbell71, hfh, Baron and 5 others like this.
  20. swifty

swifty

Congratulations Ron, Ron Jr, Laura and the team on a terrific effort. And thanks Ron for a detailed report with all the info I wanted.

Stogy, Baron, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  21. loudbang

loudbang

OUTSTANDING congratulations on the new record.

Stogy, Baron and FIVE-WINDO-GIRL like this.
  22. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations Ron! :cool:

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Baron, FIVE-WINDO-GIRL and loudbang like this.
  24. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

BTTT

Stogy and Baron like this.
  26. flatjack

flatjack

Great job. Congratulations.

27. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

BTTT

28. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

29. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

And . . . about that little blower ,what gives ?

30. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

Congrats on a great jog . Being the owner of a supercharged 8BA street truck I get excided every time I see a really fast Flathead.

loudbang likes this.