Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The El Stinko ‘60 El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lewk, Jan 5, 2021.

1. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

We’re going to rewind back to August. I’d been getting far too much done on my 35 3 window long term project and really wanted something old I could drive everyday without worrying about it too much. I’d been hunting for either a 56/57 wagon or sedan or a 59/60 El Camino or Sedan Delivery. I missed a couple 56s, a 57, and a 59 Elco I should have bought. My wife wanted a Highlander before I got another project. Getting her Highlander took too long and the 59 sold. I found a 60 El Camino in nearby Butte and watched the price drop for 2-3 months before I couldn’t stand it anymore.

So I bought this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See how snaggletoothed it looks. The front clip was bolted together wrong. I looked and looked for frame damage and couldn’t see any.

[​IMG]

We stopped for a pork chop sandwich and a cold beer on the way out of Butte and ate with a portrait of a local hero and then drug the El Stinko back to Missoula.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I can get really mired down in details. I used to machine and paint appearance models and prototypes and currently do design work and drafting. That’s painstaking slow work. Not what I want to do here. I really want a old shit kicker hotrod put together fast and cheap to enjoy every day. I’ve been sitting on a couple 350s, a Saginaw 4 speed, and a bunch of 14x7 slots. I’ve got a 64 Impala bench seat too. The intent was to tear very little apart, do minimal body work, spray it blitz black before snow flies, do mechanicals over the winter, drive it in June. Plus I use up some parts that are laying around. Easy peasy, right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got it home and started going through things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Greaser Bevis is pinstriped in the door jam

3. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I dug deeper. The floors weren’t good. Wet carpet had wiped out the floors but the braces were all good. Whole sections had been cut out and pop riveted over. The pan that went under the bulkhead into the smugglers box was Swiss cheese at the bulkhead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I blasted a little

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car looks like it was torn down for paint in the late 90’s and then they lost parts. They cut out the tailgate medallion and caked bondo over a lumpy patch.

[​IMG]

I’ll still have it going in June, no problem...

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Patience and fate pays off...that'll do...:D

Montana tin'll do too...have fun with it...

loudbang and lewk like this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@lewk I've shared that pic here that's under the hubcap...what's the story on that?...I just noticed that's hangin' on the wall...I thought it was on a table...It'd be quite a coincidence if it was a Family Heirloom...that'd be a dot connector...;)

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  6. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I grabbed it somewhere off the internet. It must have been from you. I’ve got a 35 Ford 3 window I’m working on and that picture is so cool I pinned it to the wall next to my car. Hopefully you’re good with that... I certainly am not trying to step on toes. It’s been on my wall for a few years.

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No problems it has no relation to me I did the same...;)

lewk and loudbang like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's good to have period correct images around the shop to keep our builds on cue...:D

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55, lewk and loudbang like this.
  10. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I’ve been loosely watching that guys build. Lucky guy has a 348! I hadn’t seen that he had a parts car yet. I’ve got my eyes on one locally but I haven’t pulled the trigger because then I’d have to deal with it.... I also know where there’s a 348 59 sedan on a farm but I’m having trouble getting it. Calling in weird favors to even get contact info...

I’ll update the thread more tonight or tomorrow and get caught up to where I am now.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- bet that many of us have had that same plan when we first started a new project - instead of El Stinko, call it Nugget because of trailer in background shown in 2nd pic above - paint roof with gold flake - have fun

12. Sounds like a plan to me. I like to set a deadline and plan to use junk I already have lying around. Those are the funnest projects. Seems 60 El Camino is the vehicle to build on the HAMB in 2021. :cool:

13. Nothing to add really, other than I really enjoy '59/'60 El Camino builds when they pop up on the HAMB - thanks!

14. Except for the floors, it seems a pretty decent shape body. Always good to use up parts you have laying around. Here's my old 60 El Camino, kinda beater, that was DD for a couple years back in CA while I was building my 59 El Camino. The 60 had a SBC 307/T350 and did fine driving around. The car had a 400 SBC when I got it that ensured no mosquitos could live around the car, swapped in the 307 I had. Just cut coils and stock drum brakes. Nothing fancy, 5 colors of primer. Picture 001.jpg

Edit: I sold this and it went to New Zealand around 2006? This is an older picture for sure. But an example of similar to what you are wanting to build.

15. Looks like a great project! I did pick up a 4 door parts car up here in Alberta that I’m just about done picking off what I wanted to. If there are some things you need, PM me and I’ll let you know if I’ve got it. I don’t have any El Camino specific parts up here though.

54B0C94C-72E6-4ABD-99A5-815F166FBE38.jpeg 6EA4E72A-720B-475C-9487-52BA06D368C1.jpeg DE2C530E-B7D0-4A98-9F55-DC85C070F8D3.jpeg

16. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

That thing is sweet, and you’re right, I want to keep mine simple like yours for sure. If I didn’t already have the slots I’d think seriously about Supremes. If you remember, size were your wheels and tires? I’ve got a 63 SS that’s probably getting Supremes in the future.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  17. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I’ve been enjoying your build and am jealous of that 348! Aside from the long side strip, I’ve got all of the El Camino specific trim. I’m still tracking down front bumper, grille, valance, and trim parts but I have a couple options locally. Where in AB are you?

18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Lloyd!!!!!!!!

craig b blue, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  19. When in Alberta I’m just outside of Edmonton.

loudbang, lewk, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  20. bchctybob

bchctybob

Oh hell yeah, another early El Camino project!! Can't wait to see this one going together.
    I don't know why but last summer I got the bug and started looking for a driver '60 El Camino. Unfortunately, even though I had some ready cash from selling my F100 I didn't find one that ran ok and wasn't a Bondo'd up rust bucket for big $$. I guess I'll be living vicariously through you, Lloyd and Al T. Very cool.

21. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

So I pulled the bed floor to deal with the smuggler’s compartment rust.

IMG_6456.JPG

IMG_6457.JPG

Thin metal Under that dirt.

IMG_6460.JPG

My other X frame Chevys

IMG_6684.JPG

Got the rust and bondo out of the top. There are a couple dings, but it’s not bad.

IMG_6867.JPG

The front clip was barely on anyway, so I pulled it off. Frame still looks ok.

IMG_6981.JPG

Started on the floors

IMG_7498.JPG

Removed the bulkhead to deal with the smugglers box

22. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

More floors

IMG_7554.JPG

IMG_7604.JPG

So I guess I won’t get it sprayed before snow flies....

IMG_8556.JPG

Saginaw is coming together

IMG_8872.JPG

Smuggler box origami. This is 63 sedan roof plus 63 seat pan welded up. They make a full pan for the main floor and pans for this area, but I’d be a grand plus into my floor and childcare with schools closed is killing my fun money. Small eBay pans and origami will get me by.

IMG_9021.JPG

IMG_9543.JPG

Squint. There’s still grinding to do...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  23. Jacob Foster

Jacob Foster

Theres a 59 elco been sitting axel deep in a dirt field since i can remember, bet it has flintstone floors by now. It could always be worse!.hey i love that 60 though!

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. bchctybob

bchctybob

Nice shifter on that 4 speed, gonna be fun.

loudbang, Stogy and lewk like this.
  25. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

So I’m pretty well caught up with where I’m at now. The floor is nearly done. I’ve got a 4 bolt 350 under my bench and I needed better heads. Some guy up in Kalispell bought a storage locker with a blown up SBC in it and put it on FB cheeaap. He had 8 guys in line for it but was kind enough to hold it for me while I drove an hour and a half up to get it. It had a broken rod. I scored vortec heads with dual valve springs and 2.02s, a roller cam, roller rockers, and a GM Performance TBI intake. I figure I can sell the intake and get enough for a 4 barrel intake. The heads look healthy. I’m not sure if I wanna spend the money to run a roller cam in my old block. Flat tappet cams and lifters are so cheap. I’m not sure I can even re-use a roller cam. I’d take advise there.... I also scored an Edelbrock 750 carb from a guy’s mud truck that needed more carb.

If talking about vortec heads bums anyone out, I’ll delete this part. This car is about cheap and fun, ported big valve camel humps aren’t in the cards.

IMG_9425.JPG

IMG_9440.JPG

IMG_9444.JPG

IMG_9445.JPG

My wife was kind enough to get me hotrod parts for Christmas.

IMG_0091.JPG

Now I’m going to have to do a blue flaked roof.

IMG_0240.JPG

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  26. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Wrong spark plug in the head, unless it's not screwed all the way in.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  27. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

You’re right, absolutely the wrong plugs. I think someone spent $$$ on parts and kinda slapped it all together and it blew up.

28. bchctybob

bchctybob

You think that was her subtle way of saying she wants the El Camino blue? Lol.
    My wife and I have been negotiating what color to paint our Morris woody since before we even bought it. If she had bought me a nice new steering wheel in her favorite color I would probably be painting it her way.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

J.Ukrop, Baumi, stillrunners and 4 others like this.
  29. I think they were 15x6. I know 15 inch diam for sure. Can't completely recall tire size, but it seems 215/75R15 sounds familiar. Been too many years and too many vehicles.....memory is foggy on some details for the old 60 El Camino. I do think those Supremes just look so good on the early 60's vehicles.