Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Coolvairs Lets See Them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dons t, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I jokingly told my German boss, Karl, that the "type 901" Porsche that was to be unveiled in 1963...
    was to be powered by a Corvair 6 cyl. opposed engine. (through an International Company merger)
    Karl got angrier than I'd ever seen him.
    A year later, we got our (my) hands on an imported 1965 911, I serviced it (by the new shop manual)
    This was NO Corvair...

2. CAVEMAN_1960

CAVEMAN_1960
    from Michigan

This is my current project. It is a very special 1960 Corvair coupe. The very first Corvairs produced were all 4-door sedans. It wasn't until January 1960 that the 2-door coupe was released. It was available in two trim levels; the 500 series and the upscale 700 series. Chevrolet was planning a more sporty version called the Monza, but that wouldn't be available until May of 1960. This car started out as a 700 coupe (the 7th production body made by Fisher Body) and was then sent to Chevrolet Engineering in Warren, Michigan to be converted into a Monza show car. It was shown at the 1960 Chicago, Detroit and New York Auto Shows. After that it was sold to a GM employee in April 1961 with just a little over 300 miles on it. I am restoring it back to it's former 20200924_114328 (1).jpg show car status. Currently it has just over 29,000 miles on it. The paint and body work were completed in 1988 and then the car was stored. I have "most" of the parts to complete the project. Hoping to have it ready for next year's car show season. Also hoping we have a next year's car show season!!

bchctybob, quick85, Nostrebor and 6 others like this.
  3. -Brent-

-Brent-

Has this one been posted?

HARTMAN CORVAIR MYSTERY.jpg

4. Guthrie1068

Guthrie1068

^^^^^^ that thing is cool, it looks like it came straight outta a Krass and Bernie cartoon...

5. CAVEMAN_1960

CAVEMAN_1960
    from Michigan

How about a CoolVair that brought his house along with him? This is a 1964 Corvair 95 Rampside pickup truck with a camper attached. The truck is rare (only 851 built that year). The camper is rarer (guesstimate of 6 total produced). I've known about this vehicle for at least 30+ years, but found it in a barn after the owner passed away. Plans are to get the camper off (to get to the rear-mounted engine) and get the Rampside DSCN4184.JPG running and driving again.

6. patsurf

patsurf

hope it is a 'caveman' brand camper...

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

^^Must have gotten tired of those 'Isn't the engine in the trunk?' questions.

8. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

9. v8flat44

v8flat44

Worked at a Chevy dealership in 1965 detailing used cars. Someone bought a 65 Maroon Corvair with a dual carb engine & 4 speed and traded it in a month later. I LOVED that car. The boss's wife had a Monza turbo soft top that i got to service and deliver to their home.....i absolutely love those cars.
    Remember, i'm basically a Ford guy...........................help, i've got Corvair fever !!!!!!!!!!!!

bchctybob, loudbang and firengine103 like this.
  10. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

That's kinda cool....shades of street-going Competition Coupe vibe.

loudbang likes this.
  11. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Here's a couple of pics of my supermonza 20190331_213856.jpg 20190430_194702.jpg

hrm2k, 41 GMC K-18, Jimmy and 6 others like this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

Not my cup of tea

cool1 pnt.jpg

anthony myrick and firengine103 like this.
  13. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

moparboy440 and loudbang like this.
  14. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I saw a short YouTube video of a bitchin 64 Corvair.
    This car is a tribute to the Bill Thomas competition coupe. Race #362.
    The video is of the car at Daytona on the road coarse. 7200RPM ON THE SUPER SPEEDWAY SECTION. it's all shot from in the car.
    What sweet sounds a race prepped pancake 6 makes. I saw the video on Corvair Center. Should of attached a link.
    If you get a chance check it out.
    ITS SWEET!!!

41 GMC K-18 and SAM3 Customs like this.
  15. SAM3 Customs

SAM3 Customs
    from Michigan

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

16. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

That's great, thanks for doing that. I'm sure other will enjoy it as well.

41 GMC K-18 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  17. Finally got my beater out of the corner of the shop and put it back together so one of my sons can drive it. Took it on about a 60 mile shakedown trip today.

B74B3742-8E6F-4E92-91F2-7258924F4780.jpeg

18. bchctybob

bchctybob

^^^^ Nice beater!! 4 speed?

19. bchctybob

bchctybob

My wife Becky's Corvair at the Ironstone Concourse a couple years ago. They wouldn't judge it because it has non-stock wheels but the judges asked her to bring it back with the stock stuff, they really liked it. She was stoked. My heart attack kept us out of the next year and Covid nixed last year. Maybe 2021?
    Every time I drive that little thing I can't help but smile, it's a blast!
    IMG_1276.JPG IMG_0156.JPG

Jimmy, BigDogSS, Blues4U and 10 others like this.
  20. Thank you. Yes, it is a 4 speed. It really is a blast to drive, but is definitely a beater as well. It had a very amateur “restoration” before I got it and I have been fixing several things that were done wrong. I don’t plan to make it nice, but just use it as a fun car to get around in and let my youngest boy drive until we can finish his 51 Chevy pu.

Your wife’s is very nice!

21. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

[QUOTE="...Every time I drive that little thing I can't help but smile, it's a blast!"[/QUOTE]

You put your finger on driving a Corvair. I had a '63 that was a fun car to drive,
    even though it'd occasionally pitch a belt at the most inopportune time. How I
    wish I had a photo of that Ivy green coupe.

22. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I ran across this one that had just recently been purchased by a
    kid. He was stoked about the car and loved to talk about it. I
    think I was almost as excited as he was.

Auto 292.JPG Auto 293.JPG

23. Also have to share the setup pic since I parked right by a sign I guess I shouldn't have...too good of a photo op to pass up. :rolleyes: Also got to hang out with my 16-year-old daughter and go have a burger at another Route 66 stop. I sure can't complain getting to drive with the top down in early January in Oklahoma. There was snow on the ground just a couple days ago...

And, yes the silly looking high back bucket seats will be gone soon. A fellow HAMBer in St. Louis picked up a nice set of original seats off craigslist for me last week. I should be able to get them relayed home in a couple weeks. I also need to snap on my NOS poverty caps. Just wanting to make sure it is good to go before snapping them on so as to not mess up my new paint on the wheels. :D

IMG_1253[1].JPG
    IMG_1250[1].JPG

24. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

My dad's been a corvair person for all my life, and I went out and bought a Falcon as a first car lol! I want to get one someday though. Is there anything to watch for? I heard that the engines will overheat when they need a rebuild but I don't know if there's common transmission issues or something.

Sent from my SM-G981V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

^^ I'd also be interested in any buying tips. I could easily be persuaded
    to get into a Corvair again.

26. I know I should have likely learned more before just jumping off and buying one since it seemed cheap... I am learning, but it is like starting over on everything I know as I try to relate 36 years of knowledge playing with old cars which I should almost just throw out the window...lol

However, it is also fun learning all new stuff. Just don't like the steep learning curve. :rolleyes:

27. bchctybob

bchctybob

As far as buying tips, it’s much like any other old car; stay away from rust buckets. They are cheap enough and plentiful enough so you don’t have to start with a really rusty one. They are very similar year to year but the 1964 is the best of the early versions. The later the better in the early body style, lots of little improvements over the years. I hear a lot of people saying that the ‘65-66 are the best of the later body style but that may be because the smog regulations caused changes in the later models. IDK.
    The 4 speed cars are more fun but don’t dismiss the PG equipped cars. The PG has mostly full size car guts so it’s tough and can be beefed up if needed.
    The suspension is easily removed to rebuild and paint. All rebuild parts are available. Disc brake kits and dual master cylinder kits are available.
    The engines are pretty bulletproof if built carefully and maintained properly. A lot of poorly running Corvairs just need a good tune up and carb synchronization. I wouldn’t put a lot of money into rebuilding a 145 cu in, better to get a 164 and rebuild it. Cost is the same and you get more power and torque.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. frieghtrain

frieghtrain

Nader didn,t tell anyone, but his son saw strung-out on Coke when he crashed and died

moparboy440 likes this.