Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Poly begets a Hemi begets a Model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by wstory, May 21, 2020.

1. Does it really need an intercooler?
    I was thinking this was a fun running street engine ?
    Tommy

X38, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I'm thinking since you're into it this far, may as well go whole hog... How about keep the intercooler, lower it down some( 2-3" +/- ), don't hack the current manifold, make a new homemade manifold sorta like a very thin 6-71 blower manifold. Should still be enough room to keep the manifold floor from being a "swimming pool of fuel", & also enough room for airflow. Hope you don't have fuel suspension(drop-out) from the intercooler. The thinner area under the intercooler outlet & manifold floor should create turbulence helping to either keep the fuel/air in suspension, or remix again. Like the project,very nice work.
    Marcus...

seadog and loudbang like this.
  3. Would flipping the blower pulley to reverse the offset help? From here it looks as if that could give you another inch or so in length.

loudbang likes this.
  4. 73RR

73RR

Like I said, never been inside one of these.
    Maybe one of your astute followers has a disassembled unit available and could post a pic or two. Better yet, maybe there is something on paper floating around 'out there'.......

loudbang likes this.
  5. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Well shit!!!! I'm forced to make a decision. Ya know, when one starts a project like this, and with few initial constraints, the imagination and naivete encourages you to go the whole nine yards.
    In my case, appearance is very important,....'tho I'll say, not to the exclusion of function. Cost is also a factor but I've never let that interfere with my dreams. I've struggled with those conflicts my whole life.
    I like hoods, not so much for protecting the engine but for visually completing the car from windshield to grill. But, with no hood sides so folks are drawn in for a closer look and maybe discover an interesting engine. Kinda like "skirt lifting"! right? ;)
    'Tho understanding that an intercooler is not a requirement, wouldn't it be "kool" And, for me, it would be a design and fabrication challenge I could learn from. The space requirement and system complexity were secondary but, at some point you gotta get real.
    The air to water intercooler module was conceptualized several years ago. Conveniently, it slips between the blower and the manifold, attachment being studs anchored in the blower case, passing thru the intercooler sides and "nutted" to the underside of the manifold flange. As a result, the blower manifold interface accommodates an added intercooler via just using longer studs. Trick huh?
    So, I will go forward w/o the intercooler to complicate my life,.....for now :rolleyes:

winduptoy, brEad, ski and 5 others like this.
  6. Time vs cost vs dream...story of my life.;) I also like the looks of a hood sans hood sides (never thought of it as lifting a skirt but now that you mentioned it:)) just wondering how much above the hood you think you'll be? Would a small tasteful cutout or hood scoop/bulge be an answer?

loudbang likes this.
  7. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I need to catch up with you again... Been derailed this year. I will go through this thread soon....

Sent from my SM-G986U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  8. AmishMike

AmishMike

Always worried about those water filled inter coolers leaking into manifold. Late model turbos run water/alcohol spray to cool charge. Also recommend 85% fuel & you can be “green” rod. Did you ever mention boost level you will run?

loudbang likes this.
  9. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hmmm, I'm thinking a hood w/o sides is more like the attention required of a short tight miniskirt on a thin shapely lass.
    Marcus...

SS327 and loudbang like this.
  10. AmishMike

AmishMike

Correction: not 85% fuel but E85 alcolhol +gas. You will use more but higher octane & alcohol should help prevent detonation & raise horsepower.

loudbang likes this.
  11. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

To a coupla questions/comments,....since I have temporarily shelved the intercooler idea, I will shoot for 5-6 lbs of boost. And yes, I understand the idea of E85 and detonation and will consider that fuel.
    The priority of projects (currently) is to "home in" on the technique for pulley relocation, determine the ratios to get to 5-6 lbs of boost, fabricate the blower/manifold interface, and find a Weber guy who can think outside of the box and hold my hand :rolleyes:

12. lake_harley

lake_harley

I think the Beatles "Wanna Hold Your Hand", but they probably don't know diddly about Webers.

I gotta say...following this now is tinkering at it's best. By the way, that is a compliment!

Lynn

loudbang likes this.
  13. You need an offset belt;)

Tim_with_a_T, SS327, brEad and 2 others like this.
  14. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You could make an idler shaft that has 2 pulleys, one to line up with the crank pulley and one that lines up with the blower pulley.

SS327, brEad, ski and 3 others like this.
  15. 73RR

73RR

^^^now that has some potential. Certainly would be a bit different and could address the problem.
    From an engineering viewpoint though, it would have to be stout as the needed blower belt tension will create a large moment arm.

fauj and loudbang like this.
  16. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

common on modern engines, they'll have an idler shaft running front to back to drive the rear driven blower

loudbang likes this.
  17. 73RR

73RR

As I am very unfamiliar with all things new, vehicle wise, save my 2 DD, can you suggest a make- model to look at?
    Personally, I'd like to see how the manufacturers approach the issue.

loudbang likes this.
  18. AmishMike

AmishMike

Do not know if you have experience with ally fuels. Be sure whole fuel system compatiable from fuel tank sealers, pumps, fuel lines ( beware rubber lines )& carb gaskets. Are you going to use that front facing manifold on top of blower? You mentioned Weber carb. Can you make side mount manifold or open back of blower for rear facing carb ( & space needed )? Not familiar with that type blower

loudbang likes this.
  19. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

have you looked at the Audi systems that have the coolers on each side of the blower ? that would lower the height some

loudbang likes this.
  20. ski

ski
    from San Diego

Lookin good Bill. I'm glad you put the intercooler off to the side for now. We gotta catch up sometime. Happy New Year.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Have a look at some of the Magnuson kits, I think it's mainly done to have a lower, front mount throttle body

loudbang likes this.
  22. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

I only know enough about this shit to get myself in trouble :rolleyes: That said,....I believe the blowers with the jackshaft running front to back, are a solution to allow the mass air sensor to be at the front of the blower where cooler air is available. That also addresses the need for a low profile for hood clearance.
    Regarding the intercoolers being beside the blower, never seen that but if it's production Audi, it surely must make sense for their application. Can't get my head around that 'tho. The Ford Lightning and probably others bury the intercooler in the valley between the heads, The air flow has to do a 180 when exiting the intercooler to get back up to the intake ports. All of that is a fabrication challenge that goes way beyond my abilities.
    The blower I'm using has the air inlet at the rear and facing up. There is a very nice manifold that lays on top of the blower and provides a near vertical face for mounting the air inlet valve. It handles only air in the Ford application, the fuel supply is computer controlled and injected at each cylinder's intake port, i.e. TPI.
    IMG_3168.JPG IMG_3160a.jpg
    And as I have previously confessed, appearance is a big deal for me. So wouldn't this big honkin Weber DCOE be cool, or what. And ya ya, I'll look into the affects of E85 if I go that route.
    19650.001.jpg

23. 73RR

73RR

The DCOE is an impressive unit but even at 50+mm you may still need two of them. At one time I had some loose plans for a 392 intake but I figured it would take 4 of them to do an adequate job and the cost was crazy even 5 years ago. YRMV

Desoto291Hemi and loudbang like this.
  24. AmishMike

AmishMike

Wow, you mention EFI on a “traditional” site. Afraid some May attack you. I love traditional but have raced &driven number of EFI & turbo late models. Turbos on many WW2 planes after developed in late ‘30s. Fuel injection on german planes & Mercedies, not sure if electronic. Will run great & tune with a lap top new learning experience coming up. Good luck

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. 73RR

73RR

collector and loudbang like this.
  26. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

loudbang likes this.
  27. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

I was surprised and saddened to discover my previous post was deleted, apparently stepped on toes I did not know were there. My violation was born of ignorance! Was it the terminology or the picture,...or the alternator???? The censure has kinda taken the wind outta my sails.
    My journey of discovery has been especially rewarding and I shall continue. The design and build process have been particularly fulfilling and I've gotten great pleasure from sharing it. And, and....I really appreciate the observations and atta boys received for this band of characters. I hope we can keep in touch.

28. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mr. Bill, don't feel like the lone ranger. The mods have been instructed to delete anything that isn't "strictly traditional". That especially includes EFI, MII front suspensions, LS engines, etc. I've had several of my posts deleted, mostly due to my overlooking some detail that was offensive and some otherwise. It happens. Keep on keeping on but keep it traditional. This is a great thread.

oliver westlund, loudbang and fauj like this.
  29. ski

ski
    from San Diego

I must have missed something

30. 73RR

73RR

Bill's missing post made reference to some kind a new fangled fuel providence application mechanism.....and he was smote for the affront to...... seriously don't quite get the issue as there are innumerable examples of 'new' stuff in this place. Just how many BW-T5 or Tremec 5-6 speed trans were made prior to 1965? I do recall using a lot of Packard 3-spds but no 5spd od units.

Bill, your work is an example of dedication to the task and your products are top-notch so keep'r going.