Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Boxed Model A Frame

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dennis Rogers, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Dennis Rogers

Dennis Rogers

Bought a '28 Ford 2- door sedan Street Rod with a boxed frame...can anyone tell me how to determine if it is a boxed Model A frame or after market frame?

2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An original would have the model A numbers stamped into it near the center cross member on top of the frame rail I believe. An after market boxed frame probably wouldn't have any numbers at all.

3. A couple of pictures would help.

4. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I think aftermarket frames are made of rectangular tube, with the taper at the back trimmed and welded, and frame horns welded on the front. If your frame is a channel boxed, it is either Henry or home-built. As stated above, pics.

5. Are the front,and rear cross members still riveted in? Fords are. Ford put dozens of holes in his frames.Some guys fill them,but not always so lots of holes is a give away.

6. -Brent-

-Brent-

@Dennis Rogers pictures would be helpful but it's not all that necessary. When a Model A frame is boxed, the inside face of the rail doesn't match the outside. Since it's C-channel the bends aren't as sharp as how the boxing plate sits.

Here's an example of what the holes look like on A rails:

A Frame Blasted.jpg

Here's an aftermarket perimeter frame:

SoCal Perimeter Frame.jpg

and all loaded up for a street rod will look something like this:

StreetRod Chassis.jpg

7. rusty valley

rusty valley

got any rivets?