Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The time has come... 327 in a '40 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pinstriper40, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Hombre

Hombre

Things have not changed one little bit with the miserable Saginaw 4 speeds, you can still blow one up with a healthy 6 Cylinder.

loudbang and High test 63 like this.
  2. Saginaw's are still weak, but were the cheaper solution with the prices some of some fresh Muncie's, but lately I have seen good Saginaw's jump in value that unless your restoring a car for originality that your not saving much (if any) money over a good Muncie. Some many of them were blown up back in the day that good ones are now hard to find so concours restorers have driven the values up.

loudbang and Hombre like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm pretty sure the cost of a new Hurst shifter for a Saginaw is the same as a Muncie.

Hombre likes this.
  4. they are I believe for a universal comp plus. the brains are the same its just the bracket and rods that are different

bchrismer and loudbang like this.
  5. @RICH B, my '40s see lots of highway time. I chose the Saginaw 3 groove transmissions for the 3.5 first gear and highway gears out back due to the fact that I put a lot of highway miles on my hot rods. They have adequate strength for the purpose of hammering down the highway.

Joel, I used a Hurst 3916790 shift handle in my panel truck, with the Hurst Competition Plus shifter mounted off the front of the tail housing. It's a tight fit inside the X member and requires a small notch cut in the upper X member rail for clearance for the shifter itself. The almost 4" offset moves the shifter over to pretty much center it back over the tailshaft, but it does cause the shift knob to end up between the bucket seats in 2nd and 4th.

enloe, loudbang and brigrat like this.