Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clockwise Crankshaft Rotation. Is this a standard?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Baron Von Mike, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Back in the olden days, long before wewere born, lathes could only cut threads in one direction, i.e. right hand threads. Look at the bolt/dog that a T model Ford has that the hand crank inserts into. When cranking the engine over, the threads tighten each time. As to most people being right handed, well that is true but it only worked out that way because of the threads. Look at any hand cranked engine and the dog will self tighten when cranked.

jimmy six likes this.
  2. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Same deal with the Fairmont engines in trackmen's small rail cars, maybe even the same basic engine?

We stopped and started in reverse 10 cyl opposed piston Fairbanks Morse to back down the ship I was on.

Neither applied to Hot Rods but both were pre '65........

3. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

IIRC he wrote once that he even "cleaned" an "innovative" cam once for the inspectors in a pan of muddy kerosene or gas along with some other parts then pulled out an appropriate cam with the right numbers on it to hand to them......

I believe he also tried reverse rotation with one of his Indy 500 entries but didn't find any great advantage with it there.

Ed

4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The dude built a Camaro 7/8 size lol.

If you ain't cheating you ain't trying