Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '32 Henry Steel Three Window Deuce Coupe Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by MR CLEAN, Nov 13, 2017.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'd probably run 750/16s on the rear and 500/16s on the front. The rears would fill up the wheel well better and with the smaller fronts you would have a little more rake. JMO.

2. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The first pic is our 3W around 1960 with I believe a 6” channel it remained channeled with different power plants and various suspensions till around the late 80s but off the road in later years. A new owner came along and unchanneled it and did some very nice body work . But that was all he did over his 15 years of ownership. All we got was a bare body only. Had we got it channeled we would have preserved the history more. But its much more roomy back up on the frame. C9322069-5E7E-4B57-8873-DE128FD95D52.jpeg 944E579D-A8D9-4DFC-AC63-7AE536B6A37A.jpeg 10A913B4-BAF3-4A54-9EC8-556374493302.jpeg 0A634DB7-B22A-4EA1-A183-D1D2E3B866F7.jpeg

Outback, Stogy, micksmith and 13 others like this.
  3. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Glad to see you are making progress on your '32 3W, as Deuce owner myself I would agree to build it as a '40's hot rod with Henry Ford parts and Flathead, there are a lot of events nationally that are exclusive to Flatheads ( TROG and RPM Nationals) and are tons of fun, here is my '32 3W which took 11 years to get to this point racing at 2019 RPM Nationals, so much fun!!
    RPM Nationals 2019.jpg
    IMG_1891.JPG
    RPM Nationals 2019 2 .jpg

Photo credit Roy Sorenson Hot Cars Magazine

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Outback, alfin32, lucky ink and 4 others like this.
  4. sdroadster

sdroadster

My advice is don't be influenced by your well meaning friends. Keep the build within your abilities, and your budget. Don't go shopping in the magazines. Look in your heart, and decide on a era, and a build style. Once you have decided stick to it, and don't get distracted.

pirate, Outback, trollst and 5 others like this.
  5. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Great advice sdroadster, as I have been slowly collecting parts. I won't be leaving the house to go on any out of state parts runs anytime soon. I pulled the Three Window Body off the frame and decided to start at the front and work my way back. The '32 Front Frame Horns where cut on the inside, only to lower the Grill to match the channel is one idea or why the Front Crossmember was heavily modified when the car was built in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I did know that the Frame Horns had to be fixed, once I bought some original Front Frame Horns from my Kentucky Dentist's parts pile. Please see pictures before and after of Front Frame Horn replacement and Original Front Spreader Bar and Front Crossmember. The Front Crossmember will be welded in place and bolts removed in case of placement of front fenders. Please post all your comments both Good and Bad regarding the pictures of work in this thread.
    MR CLEAN
    Front K Member.jpg

Old frame Horns.jpg

New front horns.jpg

new front horn 2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    alfin32, Drylake and loudbang like this.
  6. clem

clem

That front cross member is unbelievable , and probably a contender for the ‘worlds worst welding’ award.....
    Nice car otherwise though...

loudbang and MR CLEAN like this.
  7. Drylake

Drylake

Seems to be a lot of opinions on how you should build this beauty. So I'll throw mine in... keep it simple, leave it sweaty, it'll be cheaper and get you on the road faster. It'll only look as it does once, and can always be painted later. I'm leaving my roadster crusty and it will be a cheap fun car when done! I just sold my clean repop grille to get a nice toasty original paint survivor. Think about it. Good to see some progress on your build!

Attached Files:

8. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

9. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Thanks sliceddeuce for your comment of my work in this thread. Since I decided to start at the front and work my way back. I installed a K Member Kit that I received from Tom Bay at R & J Enterprises located in Arkansas City, KS 620-441-0032. The '32 Frame had it's Rear Frame Horns cut off at some point in the past, so I got some original '32 Rear Frame Horns from a HAMB Member in New Jersey. I also installed a Model A Rear Cross Member with Rear Model T Spring that I picked up at Hershey a few years ago. The Original '32 Gas Tank and Cap came from a HAMB Member in Georgia. The next step in this build will be to install the 8BA Flathead pictured below.
    MR CLEAN

'32  Tom Bay K member.jpg

rear original crossmember.jpg

'32 Rear Horns and Tank.jpg

8BA Flathead.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    35cab, jalopykid, ruppi1932 and 3 others like this.
  10. Drylake

Drylake

Great to see some progress! I like the direction you're going in!

Outback, loudbang and MR CLEAN like this.
  11. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Thanks Drylake for your comment of my work in this thread. I decided the next step in this build would be to install the 8BA Flathead. While passing thru Knoxville, Tennessee in 2019, I was able to purchase an Original '32 Heavy Axle here on the HAMB from Barillaro Speed Emporium 865-531-1840 that had been dropped. I decided to go with Ford F-2 Self Energized backing plates suggested by my good friend in Jacksboro, Tennessee with Original 45 Finn Buick Front Drums with Ford Hub bought from New Jersey instead of the rusted front drums. I realized the front spring that came with car was not Original and unfortunately everything else was rusted beyond repair, so I was able to purchase Original '32 Front Spring W/ Perches, Original Tie Rod, Original Drag Link, Original King Pins from a HAMB member in Cleveland, Ohio. Please post all your comments both Good and Bad regarding the pictures of work in this thread.
    MR CLEAN

engine placement.jpg engine plates.jpg Front Inside Wheel.jpg Front End 2.jpg
    Front End 1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Drylake, alfin32, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

MR CLEAN and loudbang like this.
  13. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Way back when I had my '32 3 window in NJ I had a Model A front cross member I installed to lower the front end an additional 1" (I believe) along with a heavy '32 dropped axle by Mor drop that Pete Van Iderstein speed shop in NJ had dropped for me. I think It was around $12-$15 back in 1971-72 Stock height body, full glass fenders, stock canvas top, full flat SS firewall SBF/C4. it was my daily driver snow rain heat of the summer! miss that car! Sold to some guy at the Jersey shore.

14. That axle looks real nice. What hubs are those?

15. Olskool13

Olskool13
    from Queens NY

16. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

30tudor,
    These are 1940-1948 Ford Front Hubs pictured below that were added to the Original 45 Finn Buick Front Drums.
    Ford went back to the 5 X 5.5 Wheel Pattern in 1940.
    MR CLEAN

Front Hub 1.jpg
    Front Hub 2.jpg

alfin32, loudbang and 30tudor like this.
  17. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Are you planning on running the fan on the generator or 8 ba style in front of motor because of flat firewall? Have you mocked up fan assy yet?, asking because the motor sits alot higher than stock

18. Mark Merritt

Mark Merritt

Looking good, specially those Buick drums.

19. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Thanks thirtytwo for your comment of my work in this thread. Hopefully I measured everything correctly or its going to be a much longer build as I'm no expert and have very limited knowledge about Flatheads. I recently picked up an Original '32 Ford V8 Fan pictured below to run on the Ford Generator and learned from my friend in Stillwater, Minnesota that to be able to use the Original '32 Ford V8 Fan that I must make a lot of changes to my 8BA Flathead. The changes include 1939 Ford Generator pictured below along with Edmunds Custom 8BA Intake, Water Pumps, Distributor, Timing Cover, Crank Pully and Camshaft to be able to use the Original '32 Ford V8 Fan on a 8BA Flathead. I look forward to learning as I go and appreciate everyone's comments both Good and Bad regarding the pictures of work in this thread so I can become better.
    MR CLEAN

Fan.jpg
    Generator.jpg

Cyclone Kevin and loudbang like this.
  20. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

cool project! any updates?

MR CLEAN likes this.
  21. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Thanks lodaddyo for your comment on my build thread. I have been helping my Father Care for my Mother the last few years and she lost her fight with Parkinson's on Sunday, March 19th, 2023. I have been collecting a few hard to find Original '32 Three Window parts for the car since I last posted in January 2021 with the help of some Great Sellers on the H.A.M.B. The Original '32 Three Window Seat Base in picture below came from a friend in Ottawana, Minnesota, along with the Original Seat Cushions bought from Ocean City, New Jersey that were delivered by a Friend named Randy to Hershey. The '32 Three Window Seat slides came from a Yankee that lives in North Carolina. I have learned that '32 Three Window Seat Slides are very different and harder to find than '32 Five Window Seat slides. Had some small clearance issues with the Original Perch Pins, so made a few adjustments so I will be able to turn in future. The Shackles are from Pete & Jakes Hot Rod Parts in Peculiar, Missouri 816-758-4504. Since I am from the Show Me State it is time to Show You some Progress and I look forward to learning as I go and appreciate everyone's comments both Good and Bad regarding the pictures of work in this thread so I can become better.
    MR CLEAN

seat.jpg

Front End straight Perch Pins.jpg

Front End Pete Shackles Bent.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
    Drylake, rod1, Outback and 1 other person like this.
  22. Sorry to hear of your Mother's passing; she is at peace now.
    Glad you were able to keep some momentum up on your project by collecting parts.

23. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Yes sorry to hear of your mum's passing. Hopefully this project will give you something positive to focus on for a bit.
    Looking forward to seeing progress!

MR CLEAN likes this.
  24. NealinCA

NealinCA

You have gathered a lot of great parts to put this car back on the road.

Since you asked for input, it looks like your front frame horns are BB truck, not passenger car. With a car of this value, I'd look at replacing those with passenger car frame sections, so the radius matches up better. It looks like an otherwise nice frame, so worth making into a solid piece. I'd also think about adding an internal strengthening plate at the splice, as your welds look a little cold.

Ken The Coug, MR CLEAN and Big Al like this.