Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Little Green Roadster that got me here

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by BDUB77, Dec 30, 2020.

1. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for that.

Stogy, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  2. BDUB77

BDUB77

Thanks to everyone for the comments, I’ll keep you all up to date on any more changes. I also have a build going on with the first car I’ve ever owned. It’s a 64 el camino and you all have encouraged me to do a better job of documenting it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I really like it as it is rather unique. I really like the windshield frame as well. The only little thing I would change is the depth of the rad surround unless of course th dead is that deep. Well done!

Deuces, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Great blend and massaging, roughing in that large Chrysler roadster to its ultimate shape was masterful.
    F-1 pickup axle was aesthetically applied, goes perfectly with the roadster's 'springing'...
    Chrysler Hemi, natch! Torqueflite looks like it grew there, LOVE the 'Typewriter drive'...
    I'd be stoked to be seen driving it, Pontiac taillights and wheels/tires...Just sharp!

Outback, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  5. Wow ... I am in love with your garage. The mess I could make in a garage that size is what dreams are made of :D

Congrats :)

Stogy, Deuces, Jibs and 1 other person like this.
  6. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know you're busy but could you please get a couple of closeups of the windshield frame at the top and bottom center? I'm trying to see how the glass is kept in place. And what happened to the two heavy radiator support bars? Thanks

7. roen132

roen132

Awesome ride!!

Stogy, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  8. BDUB77

BDUB77

I tried to get some pictures yesterday, but the lighting was bad. When the weather improves, I’ll pull the car out and get some. I cut out the support bars. I had planned to either reinforce it at the bottom, or install some smaller ones. When I removed them, the radiator was still very sturdy, so I just made a shroud to cover the tubing. That isn’t in the pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. wicarnut

wicarnut

Nice work and Very Kool !

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  10. joew513

joew513
    from Boston

That’s really nice.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  11. That’s neat AF?!

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, very very cool. Man, you did a lotta good work. I like it for all the reasons. It's different... but it looks so good. I love the frame covers and how it blends into the body. And the shape of the body itself is just different enough to let you know that this one isn't a Ford. Also the fact that you took a car with questionable (even dangerous) aspects and went completely through it and made everything right. And of course, the Hemi in an antique Chrysler Roadster is great. I could go on.
    I would be so happy and proud to have done so much good for the car and to drive it and enjoy it and let it be seen so that others can enjoy it too. Thanks for letting us enjoy it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

By the way, your car belongs in the "I'm tired of homogenized hot rods" thread.

14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What beautiful roadster! It reminds me of the immediate post-war era, when returning GIs would try and add a European sports car influence to their hot rods. A lot of these attempts were rather odd looking to say the least...and because of that, never became a popular trend.

In my opinion, this is a perfect execution of that traditional style. A touch of European styling, but still a hot rod.
    I CAN"T STOP LOOKING AT IT ! BEAUTIFUL!

15. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

VERY cool!!! You've done great so far.

16. Spooky

Spooky

BRAVO!!!! WELL DONE SIR!

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Done...:D

loudbang and Rickybop like this.
  18. fortynut

fortynut

A classic Hot Rodder's story. You end up with a good looking old Rod, only it's more in the looks department than anything else. All it takes is a little tinkering, which is like a man climbing out of the Grand Canyon I once met, who had fallen and broken his back. With luck unlike most of us would have, he said he had a bag of peyote buttons for nourishment until someone found him after he was out. And, I can tell you how often I have felt like the whole effort that you're going through is a test of our very core to see how dedicated we are to 'this thing', as I call it. A man has to have just a little more when determination strikes him, because there is a downside to finding out you have been given the opportunity to crawl or fly. I love your ride. It is just damn perfect because it does not look like a bellybutton; and, as crazy as things get, it has something no one would ever imagine keeping in a 'Throw Down Bad Ass Hot Rod with a Hemi': that dial up Heaven pad in the center of the dash, which is totally Kick Ass Righteous! Only one question since I know my Civil War History well enough to ask: What are you going to do when it rains? 'Cause I know Stonewall Jackson and his 'Foot Cavalry' found a lot of it there.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Rickybop like this.
  19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@fortynut , that was pretty awesome. Deep. To the heart of things. The kind of stuff I and I'm sure others think about relative to our hobby and even life in general... but find difficult to put into words. In a nutshell, the difficulty of it all. But if you want it bad enough you can get it... if you're willing to do what it takes and accept the inevitable frustration and pain. And then to finally be personally rewarded with not only the fruit of your labors, but you realize after all is said and done... the entire experience and journey itself.
    It's good to hear this kind of thing from you and others who have been through it and managed to overcome the difficulties and to not only fly, but to soar. It's interesting to me. It's inspirational. It's a thousand and more stories of man and machine against the world!

LOL... It's getting deep in here.

@BDUB77 wasn't sure about sharing his build... but we're waxing poetic over it. I think that's how they say it. Never knew what wax has to do with anything.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0c9d7cca17df2d8bb5051b7e3991a2dd.jpg

OddHR1.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...enized-hotrods.1002926/page-179#post-13886541

I shared this in the Homogenized Thread at the link above recently in curiosity...Dub did mention it had a Hotrod history...

I believe the vintage image above was shared some time ago in one of The Hambs great historical glimpses into past greatness by one of our Members who had connections to the Hotrod Yesteryear...

I'll see if I can dig that Thread up...;)

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since @Stogy shared that picture, I'll go ahead and ask what I was wondering.
    Have you considered making a panel to fill in between the frame rails in front of the grill?

22. fortynut

fortynut

I'd be willing to bet good money that Pete Eastwood can tell you something about that car, if anyone can. It didn't register until well into my knowing him and hanging around his shops that he is the reincarnation of several older Indy Car Drivers and Builders, along with a few Salt Flat Masters, because he knows too much, and can build something like it was, or like he likes it. He now works at the Peterson Museum, from what I understand --- which is where his talent and good nature, I am sure, is put to good use. Maybe he'll chime in on this one and tell us if the mystery is solvable and spin one of his yarns.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hamber @Back to Thunder Alley...
    He had that pic I shared in his album...

Below is a Thread riddled with Dry Lakes History and more by Thunder Alley...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/l-a-hot-rods-at-the-beginning.774634/

Quoted text below by Thunder...

"Back in the late 1930's my Dad (Don Nairn) and my Uncle (Jim Nairn) were among a small group of teenagers who developed a keen interest in cars and their potential. They didn't have much money. No one did in those days. But they did have imagination and creativity and so they began to build. As they did they created cars that became known as Hot Rods. They built them from the ground up with parts they found in junk yards or built from scratch and learned along the way how to make their Rod the best and fastest around. My Dad and Uncle and now legendary friends, Ed Iskenderian, Stu Hilborn, John Athans, Jack Engel, Phil Remington, Dick Teague and others began their lifelong quest for speed and performance that continues to this day."

So how does this tie in with this Thread and Hamber...Simple it may have been running alongside Thunders Dad and Uncle...

alanp561, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. Olskool13

Olskool13
    from Queens NY

25. clem

clem

Refreshingly different - yet belongs here.
    Very nice !
    Thanks for posting.

26. I like this version best (except for the scoop). To put icing on the cake, add pre-war style cycle fenders, keep these wheel/tires, add the two round air cleaners and a polished stainless mesh grill. You'd have a pre-war Jag/Bentley flavor as hot-rodded by Sidney Allard. It's already got a trace of Allard... :cool:

In any case, you'll be the only one at the show! Very cool!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  27. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I am a Moparite through and through.....usually don't care for GM add ons, but damn those pontiac tail lights look sexy!

Outback, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  28. BDUB77

BDUB77

Thank you fortynut. Almost brought a tear to my eye :)
    It's good to know that there are other people that get what is feels like to be sitting on the garage floor covered in transmission fluid, wondering how I'll ever get this back together again. Or what it feels like when you pull it out of the garage under its own power for the first time.
    As far as rain goes, I have a frame for a removable top that is similar to an MG. There are side mounts for it on the car, but I haven't made it that far. I may just do a tonneau cover.

29. BDUB77

BDUB77

I have considered it a few times. Seeing that picture is making me think about it again. I'll definitely post it if I do.

30. BDUB77

BDUB77

To get some more history on this car would be amazing! I got pretty excited when I saw the pic Stogy posted. I have some notes from the previous owner that I will dig up and post.