Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 18 YEARS AGO TODAY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 3, 2021.

1. I joined the HAMB 18 years ago on 1/3/2003 and man how time has flown by.

At that time I had a 1932 Ford fordor flathead powered sedan and a 1932 Ford roadster with a sbc, I was amazed that there were other people that embraced the old style hot rods and customs, today I know the correct analogy is traditional cars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The knowledge I have gleaned and the friendships I have established would not have been possible without all the like minded members willing to offer their help and information on how to solve any problem.

I was so blown away with all the projects that were going together it inspired me to drag Brenda's wagon out of the barn and get it back on the road, with every update on my progress I received favorable encouragement and that gave me the confidence to try my hand at all types of restoration I had never experienced, major sheet metal repair and making patch panels that were not available for this car.

[​IMG]

Had it not been for the support & information from you guys that old wagon would still be rusting away in the barn instead of racking up miles.

[​IMG]

Thanks to Ryan, the moderators and all my fellow member's that make the Hamb the best Hot Rod and Custom Car site on the internet. HRP - member# 1182

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

3. Best looking four door I’ve seen

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

VANDENPLAS, cpd682, Lil32 and 7 others like this.
  4. Thank you Mark.

The black fordor went to Toyko. HRP

5. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18 years ago today...I was probably finally getting over another New Years Eve hangover.;)

Congrats HRP:D

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

so... If you had 2 cars both with shiny paint jobs when you joined, how did you pick the name hotrodprimer??

7. Danny, time flies when you’re having fun. Here’s to the next 18 years.

chryslerfan55, Lil32, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  8. Long before I joined the Hamb I was a hot rodder and the story behind the username starts back in the early 70's when our rag tag car club went to the North Atlanta Street Rods show/rod run at Stone Mountain Park and it was the first trip I made in my 1930 model A pickup.

I had just put the finishing touches on the truck the day before we left home.

We were happy to make the show and during that hot muggy Saturday afternoon one member of our club after consuming a large quantity alcohol decided to make a sign to let the masses know I had just gotten my truck on the road.

So, he took the bottom of a card board from a case of Budweiser and in his best CRAYOLA script scrawled out all the features he could dream up that proclaimed the paint ( red primer) was applied by the best painter in Anderson, South Carolina ~ HOTRODPRIMER.

I am far from being the best painter, fact is I am somewhat of a hack but that being said I have owned a lot of cars that never got shiny paint, just a fresh coat of primer every now and them.

To this day I am still a member of the club and all the old members remember the story and NOBODY will admit to doing the deed although the name stuck, HOTRODPRIMER.

[​IMG]

9. I also did not know my head from a hole in the ground about computers and had one of our twin girls guide me as I painstakingly muddled my way me through the registration process typing with one index finger, having never taken a typing class in school it was a long arduous task and my entire introduction was done with the caps lock was on.

Had a written the most impressive introduction that had ever been posted the Caps lock issue was deemed as yelling and the free for all exploded into a verbal beating that made me question why would I want to be a member here, I later received a PM from Denise ( hotrodladycruzer) & Randy (Deuce Roadster) and they convinced me to hang in there and to this day I am grateful to both of them.

The reason behind this is to inform you and others is why HOTRODPRIMER is in all caps.:) HRP

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

At your post rate, Danny, I think you can hit 100k posts in half the time, now.

VANDENPLAS, Lil32, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  11. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Wow and only what 400,000 posts or so latter?

Lil32, Deuces and 3W JOHN like this.
  12. 400,000 posts,,,that’s nothing,,,,,,he’s got about 20,000 threads he has started !
    Danny is one of the glue masters that helps hold this place together .

Congratulations Danny,,,,,,your a great guy and help keep us all communicating on ideas about the old days !
    I’m sort of like you ,,,,I found this place in 2009,,,,and I never dreamed of some of the stuff I have read and learned here .
    All thanks to Ryan and his moderators,,,,,( cat wranglers),,,,,try keeping hundreds of thousands on topic,,,,,and not at each other’s throats .
    Amazing to me !

Tommy

13. Thank you Tommy, The 400,000 number is greatly exaggerated, in reality 50K plus is more like it, I have been blessed or cursed with the gift of gab depending on how one looks at it. :D HRP

14. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Congrats, 18 years is a long time to be committed to anything.

Lil32, hotrodjack33, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

I thought you’d mentioned something about your aunt or mom at one time when you were younger? Anyways, you do keep the HAMB moving during slow times, and since I work a night shift, I certainly appreciate you!

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

glad that you joined when you did - years of helping others figure out how to use this site - plus, helping many to keep in the forward motion on building their rides - all of the stories, pics, etc are appreciated

17. Congrats on 18 years and over 56,000 posts! Great to have you!

18. My mom encouraged me to read and she bought me a couple of Henry Gregor Felsen paperbacks when I was a kid, she also bought me my very first hot rod magazine at the corner drug store, the 1962 issue had Dean Lowe's roadster pickup on the cover, who would have guessed that many years in the future I would actually be acquainted with Dean through the Hamb, his pickup made a huge impression on me at the time and I knew I would eventually have a hot rod. HRP

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  19. 18 yrs..that's a commitment.
    Thanks for your contributions, you somehow always seem to come up with new, yet good topics for threads (fuel for this machine we call the HAMB).

chryslerfan55, Lil32, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  20. cfmvw

cfmvw

That is a great story...and a legend was born!

I've seen that picture of you and Mrs HRP with the '32 pickup many times; what was it like at the time, and where is it now?

Lil32, Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. wicarnut

wicarnut

Congrats !

Lil32, Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Awesome story! You have always been one of my favorite members. I work more than I care to admit, and hope to fill this forum with builds as I get closer to retiring...

You have always given sound advice and have been one of my inspirations here at the HAMB. Please keep hanging around will ya?

Sent from my SM-G986U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Lil32 and Deuces like this.
  23. The Model A that was in primer was sold to a guy in Lumberton, North Carolina and changed hands a few times, the last time I saw the truck was in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee and it had been turned into a street rod, it was bright red, had billet wheels and a tweed interior. to me it was ugly!

The black 32 pickup went to Texas and as far as I know the gentleman that bought it still has it, HRP

24. Thank you sir, I really appreciate your comment's. HRP

25. Danny for president.

26. Ted, ixnay on the politics, besides my closet is full of skeletons. HRP

27. Danny it's Lowe. And we won't go into how to pronounce it. ;)

Lil32, HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  28. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Keep at Danny! You always post interesting threads that give us things to remember and things to consider.

Lil32, HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  29. dwollam

dwollam

So looks like ya learned to type huh? I owned a computer store for 20 years and still only use 4 to 6 fingers to type. I use the backspace a lot too!

Always enjoy your posts. Keep it up.

Dave

30. Deuces

Deuces

Right on HRP!!!!!.....;) Thumbsup.jpg