Register now to get rid of these ads!

Converting 55 Buick to open driveline.. which rearends will work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 73super, Apr 29, 2010.

1. 73super

73super

Hey,

Converting my '55 Buick Special to open driveline/rear.. which rearends will work... whose done this. Not worried about keeping it Buick.. just want right size.

thx. :cool:

2. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

I used a Ford 8" in my 56 Wagon. Seeemed to be just right.

Attached Files:

3. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Why conversion, SBC WITH NEW TRANS? I am working on bolting up C4 furd automatic to Nailhead and keeping the torque tube if interested.

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I re-used the stock rear end in my '55 Special when I went open drive shaft.

5. missysdad1

missysdad1

My '55 Special was fitted with what I was told is a '77 Chevelle rear axle, Chevelle coil springs and Chevelle 4-link control arm suspension before I bought it. It works well and looks like the installation was fairly simple and low cost.

The lower Chevelle control arms attach to the original frame while the upper Chevelle control arms attach to a custom square tubing crossmember.

[​IMG]

I am running 15 x 7 inch full-size Chevy steel wheels with 235/75x15 BFG Silvertown radials and there are no clearance problems of any kind. Hope this helps.

:)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  6. Judd

Judd

If I remember right you can use 60 to 63 or so Buick center section in the stock housing etc and 4 link set up. 56 Oldsmobile would be right bolt circle and width for Special/Century you might be able to fit the Olds leaf springs? 57 to 59 Ford 9" might be right width. Just some ideas to investigate. I take the 60 to 63 back they changed rears in 56 and a 55 can't use the later open drive center sections.

7. bonesmsd

bonesmsd
    from Redding Ca

I'm putting in a '57 Pontiac. Same width, and retains original bolt pattern.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 73super

73super

Sweet... Nice clean setup. 57 Olds.. what gears are you running back there? :cool:

9. 73super

73super

My old crusty nailhead is long gone. I'm looking to throw a BB Chevy or Ford in there.. That thing is massive. I look at how that Buick is built opposed to my '49 Chevy and the Buick is a tank. Everything is bigger, thicker, heavier.. so I think a little power is the way to go. :cool:

10. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

I run a 57-64 pont/olds rear behind my 401/st400. Adjustable ladder bars, stock style coil springs etc...
    The 57 is about a perfect width replacement. Something close to 55 inches between backing plates.
    However, many chevy 10 and 12 bolts are about the same width.
    I hear the rears out of the early 60s Buicks are a good swap if looking to keep with Buick.
    If cheap parts and availability are a concern, the 9" is one tough setup to beat. Strong as dirt aswell.

11. piche582

piche582
    from Sonora, Ca

I have a 10 bolt out of a 2nd gen (70-81) Camaro in mine. Mounted it with Chris Alston ladder bars & reused the factory Buick coils, mounts, & panhard bar cut off the original rearend. Only problem I've ever heard of is when you use the crossmember above the rearend for a shock mount you should reinforce it as I had friend who's eventually bent on him after a few years of driving his car around.

12. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

Looking at the possibility of using a 64' buick open rearend, and modifying mid 60's chevy pickup (C10) stabilizing arms and building a mount near the crossmember, installing a panhard, and running the airbags in the stock spring pockets....

13. Which third member will drop into the existing housing (ie 62-?)

Thanks in advance,

Drewfus

14. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used the stock third member, too. I just removed the torque tube. I have a write-up of how I did it that I've sent to other people. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you

15. I guess it depends on how many spare tires you want to carry or how much time you want to spend redrilling flanges for studs.

Personally I'd look at a 77-89 GM full size wagon rearend, or maybe an Astro van. Same bolt pattern, common, cheap, the wagon is already coil spring, plenty of gear ratios for them. Should live just fine unless you're building a race car.

16. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

63-65 riviera are the same size as your 55

17. 73super

73super

Not so easy to find.. at least thus far.

Didn't even think about the spare issue... better go GM I suppose. :mad:

18. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Spares? You guys run them? What do you do for big n little tire combos? Surely you're not running with one rear tire spare and one front tire spare.
    Seriously though, some Fords did have the 5 on 5" flanges. Think they were from mid 70s mid size cars.
    Tagman-do you have the car that was also posted on the v8buick forum a few years ago? Machined yoke for driveshaft u'joint? I like the idea, only thing is no posi for it available anywhere...

19. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Here's an idea...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24785

Talk to Zman, he can set you on the right track for this swap.

While your at it, consider a caddilac 472-500, or even a Buick 350. Do a little research on these 2 powerplants, lots of advantages over a BBC or BBF.

20. 73super

73super

I love the Caddy 472.. that may be the way to go.

21. outlaw1929

outlaw1929
    from santa rosa

Any of you guys have a stock 55 special, four or two door that you could give me the measurment from center of rear wheel to edge of fender above while the car is sitting, with weight on it, not on stands.

22. missysdad1

missysdad1

Mine is 13 1/2" from center of hubcap to inside of fender lip above.

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

23. keith455

keith455
    from tampa, fl

i know this is an old post, but how did you do this? Where is the writeup you spoke about?

24. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

BONEMSD, 4 bar setup posted here has the simplest and easiest way to go open drive that I know of. Also kits are available. Use any type of rear end/engine combo you want, the Ford 9 in.rear is probably the most popular.

25. bonesmsd

bonesmsd
    from Redding Ca

Here are a couple more pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. windword

windword
    from alabama

I know this is years ago, but I am considering converting my 55 century to a c4 automatic and was wondering how your conversion went and it you were able to keep the tube drive and original rearend? thanks for your reply. bob

27. v8spence

v8spence

Hi All, can anyone tell me if there is a diff that is open drive that I can drop into my 53 axle as I have already made the 4 link etc to convert but think a new diff would be easier than trying to make the existing one oil tight for open drive?
    Cheers.

28. Scotty Jue

Scotty Jue

29. Scotty Jue

Scotty Jue

Hi,
    I'm Interested to Learn In Your Ford C4 Conversion to a 1955 Buick . Can You Please Contact Me?
    Thank You,
    Scotty

30. This thread is 10 years old.