Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Why does old junk keep finding me? A '34 story...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by milosmith, Nov 26, 2020.

1. roen132

roen132

Nice solid truck!!

loudbang likes this.
  2. milosmith

milosmith

I never heard back from the local carpenter guy, so I ordered the seat base and floorboard from Wood Art yesterday. I spoke with Ed, who is a super nice and knowledgeable guy. He told me some interesting background on how Ford originally finished the maple plywood floorboards using a black paint thinned with solvent. It was very watery, which made it easy to apply and offered good protection. Ed told me he doesn't stock these parts, but should be able to turn them around in about 10 days or so. Thanks, Ed!

It was arts and crafts time this week on the seats. The springs were originally covered with burlap that was sewed to the outer wire frame. I duplicated this stitching on the upper seat cushion while using clothespins to hold the burlap edges under tension ands in place as I sewed. I would sew a few inches, remove a clothespin, and repeat. Here's an in-process shot

IMG_6145.jpg

And the finished upper base. I left about 2-1/2" of extra material all around that I tucked into the neighboring coil spring coils.

IMG_6146.jpg

Over the burlap I can put the foam backing material and the cotton batting. Then the seat cover, which will be hog ringed in place.

I bought the thread, needles, and the craft grade burlap from Michael's craft store. The work wasn't hard to do, and it looks original, which I like.

I also painted the new spring base this week. So once I get the new seat base wood, I can attach the spring set to the wood, and repeat the burlap process.

IMG_6147.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  3. milosmith

milosmith

I continued working on the upper cushion this week.

First I laid the felt over the canvas and secured it to the frame with the hog rings

This is the front side:

IMG_6148.jpg
    And this is the back side after trimming the felt:

IMG_6153.jpg

Then I tucked in each corner, and secured it with a bit of thread

IMG_6149.jpg

Next, I laid the cotton backing over the felt and centered it

IMG_6154.jpg

I then was able to slip the cover over everything, drawing it evenly to each corner. I flipped it over, so the top surface was facing down, and pulled the edge welting over the outer frame, close to the coil springs. I hog ringed the welt to a spring, starting at the center and working out every 6". Then I did the same to the back side, and both end sides. I then filled in hog rings so at least one hog ring secures the cover to each spring. This is the end product.

IMG_6156.jpg

This is the back side. It looks stock.

IMG_6159.jpg

The corners on each side do have some folds, but that was about as good as I could get them with the limited tension I can apply to the cover by attaching them to the springs.

IMG_6158.jpg

I'm calling it good enough. I'm not quite ready to work at the school bus seat factory, but overall the work looks decent.

All I need to do is secure the two mounting brackets to the top edge of the frame. But that's a project for another day...

4. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Again, nice job.

loudbang and milosmith like this.
  5. Jeff34

Jeff34

^^ what Aaron said.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and milosmith like this.
  6. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Great job and cool tech

Woogeroo, loudbang and milosmith like this.
  7. grumpy65

grumpy65

WHY DOES OLD JUNK KEEP FINDING ME?

Old Fords are like old dogs.
    They are a great judge of character, and will go home to where they know they will get looked after and treated well. ;)

8. milosmith

milosmith

Not much progress here lately with the snow and the cold. I did install the upper seat back.

IMG_6198.jpg

The frame and cab floor on this truck is in great shape. No pitting or rust.

IMG_6194.jpg

I also had the tailgate to install. The bottom hinges were fine.

IMG_6072.jpg

I bought a new rod and the support brackets, and mounted it to the rear crossmember.

IMG_6249.jpg

The other big news is that I ended up selling the truck to a buyer in Germany. It should be leaving in early March. I sold the '34 to buy this '32 Model B. It's a complete and running and driving truck with the stock 4 cylinder drivetrain.

Model B pick up truck 22 11-12-20.jpg

Model B pick up truck 24 11-12-20.jpg

The new truck showed up this morning

IMG_6360.jpg

The garage is a little full now...

IMG_6361.jpg

The new plan is to remove and sell the cab, bed, fenders, grille shell, and the other pickup specific bits, and convert the chassis into this:

1932Ford_01_700.jpg

9. whiskeyjack

whiskeyjack
    from Minnesota

You are well connected when it comes to finding classic trucks in nice condition! What are your plans for the engine in the roadster?

loudbang likes this.
  10. milosmith

milosmith

Hey Jack. Thanks. I happened to stumble across the Model B truck on Facebook marketplace. I ended up buying it at what I hope was a very fair price.

I had another '32 Model B chassis with all matching numbers. My buddy used the body and cab to make a hot rod, and gave me the stock stuff. This was about 20 years ago when I lived in CT.

32 right side.jpg

32 front.jpg

At the same time, I also had another '32 chassis that I had hot rodded with an '49 vintage 8BA flathead and a '39 trans.

32 hot rod back.jpg

I had the 4 cylinder version running and yard driving, then ended up trading both chassis for a 1955 MG TF 1500. Been kicking myself since...

The Model B engine in the truck is supposed to run well. I just may keep it if it does. Fortunately, I live very close to Richard Falluca's shop in Skokie, IL. He is supposed to be the local go-to guy for A and B motors.

https://www.antiqueenginerebuilding.com/

Likely he can cure any engine ails for me...

Model B pick up truck 19 11-12-20.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  11. milosmith

milosmith

IMG_6377.jpg

Nice sunny day with temps finally above freezing here in Chicagoland.

I've been going through the Model B engine, checking the ignition system, wiring, and other moving parts. I cleaned and gapped the plugs and fitted new plug wires. The headlight wiring switch housing was trash, but I am getting a nice used wiring harness with light switch assembly from a fellow HAMBer.

RenderedImage.JPG

Other than the big mud dauber nest inside of the distributor cap, things appear to be in good nick.

12. Nicholas Figge

Nicholas Figge

Cool truck

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. milosmith

milosmith

I had the seat base for the '34 made locally, after some drama with Wood Art.

My local guy used some oak from an old church pew from the 1880's.
    162494227_279826373587816_1815241715928548563_n.jpg

163862908_444420970105564_2516000944092905651_n.jpg

So then it was just a matter of finishing up the upholstery. Lots of little tacks to nail in!

IMG_6488.jpg

But the end result looks good

IMG_6487.jpg

Fits good in the truck too.

IMG_6491.jpg

The '34 should be leaving to join it's new owner early next week. I can focus on the '32 now. That is, I can focus on the '32 until my new project arrives after Easter.

36 Ford cabriolet.jpg

IMG_6438.JPG

IMG_6437.JPG

KIMG0902.JPG

KIMG0928.JPG

I'm a glutton for punishment... lol

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  14. milosmith

milosmith

Well, it's official. The '34 left the garage last week for it's new home.

IMG_6504.jpg

Just means that the '32 truck gets all the attention now. Well, until my '36 arrives, that is... I had already replaced the headlight harness and switch assembly, and had rebuilt the headlamps. The truck received a brand new 6 volt battery too. Nice to have working headlamps and tail lamps for safety.

IMG_6524.jpg

I had two new Coker Excelsior tires installed on the rear 18" rims a week ago. I had already rebuilt the entire ignition system, including new coil, points, cap, rotor, plug wires and coil wire. New radiator hoses, clamps, and new fluid.

IMG_6523.jpg

I finished rebuilding the AC fuel pump this week with a new diaphragm that is compatible with modern fuel. That allowed me to put gas into the bone dry tank and fire her up.

She runs good! No knocking or oil burning.

I put some miles on her today just driving through town.

IMG_6521.jpg

IMG_6520.jpg

IMG_6519.jpg

The speedometer works. She tops out at about 40 mph, but that's fine for around town.

Tim, Runnin shine, slim38 and 9 others like this.
  15. milosmith

milosmith

My '36 is on it's way to me from North Carolina. I am wayyy excited!

IMG_6536.JPG

The weather here in Chicagoland has been great. Low 60's and sunshine. More time for truck drives.

IMG_6528.jpg

I parked in front of this house, which I have always liked, again today. The owner came out and chatted for a while. Apparently the house was built in 1934. He even took a picture of the truck in front of his house!

IMG_6529.jpg

The truck runs good

Happy Easter - I even had some hamb for dinner! Life was good today.

16. Glen Trotter

Glen Trotter

17. Glen Trotter

Glen Trotter

the rich get richer

18. milosmith

milosmith

Well, I'm getting poorer buying these 'ol Fords. They get in your blood, however. I've always thought the '36's were pretty cars...

IMG_6538.jpg

IMG_6539.jpg

IMG_6540.jpg

IMG_6541.jpg

IMG_6542.jpg

19. milosmith

milosmith

Lots of progress on the '36 over the past month and a half. I pulled the old motor, which had some issues:

IMG_6593A.jpg

IMG_6691.jpg

IMG_6693.jpg

And prepped the replacement motor to put back in

IMG_6774.jpg

I went with cast iron heads to avoid any water leakage issues. A fellow HAMBer was able to provide me with an NOS Ford script domed combustion chamber head for the driver's side. I put all the best stuff on the new motor, including the oil pump, oil pan, intake, exhaust manifolds, and carb. NOS water pumps and good used water outlet/engine mounts too. I also painted the motor.

Then it was just a matter of re-installing everything.

IMG_6775.jpg

And re-connecting the radiator, wiring, and all the other little pieces. New hoses, clamps, battery, and a rebuilt starter were used.

IMG_6776.jpg

IMG_6867.jpg

IMG_6875.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  20. milosmith

milosmith

And it runs! Very well, too. No smoking, knocking, or leaking. Runs cool (I had vacuumed out all the sediment from the water passages before I put the heads back on). Nice clean oil and coolant. Good oil pressure at a hot idle. Seems like a healthy motor.

Drives well, too.

So this is the finished ride. I switched out the old dry rotted whitewalls for four new blackwall Firestone bias ply tires. I think these look cleaner on the car:

IMG_6882.jpg

IMG_6884.jpg

IMG_6886.jpg

IMG_6887.jpg

IMG_6889.jpg

IMG_6890.jpg

IMG_6892.jpg

IMG_6894.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  21. loudbang

loudbang

Looking and sounding good again. :)